416 Stroker Build. Question for GM guys. *GM content*

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
You don't need anything that big. My cam was much smaller and made good power and sounded good.

[youtube_browser]TQ5IB7jehZ4[/youtube_browser]

I spent a while on the phone with the fellas at TSP today and they told me that with the extra cubes, my current cam will start falling off early. They all told me to go bigger.

Tink

Established Member
Talk to Ed Curtis regarding your cam options. He spec'd my cam for my 408 build. Also, Patrick Guerra is a master with the rectangle port stuff. You can't go wrong with either of those guys.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I spent a while on the phone with the fellas at TSP today and they told me that with the extra cubes, my current cam will start falling off early. They all told me to go bigger.

Not necessarily true, bigger is not always better(lots of duration|lift). Too much and you will just end up with soggy bottom end and all top end power, not what you want for a daily driver, sures its fine in a max effort track car that lives above 5K. There is no real benefit to go past .630 lift on stock LS3 heads, pretty much peak flow at that lift. IVO|IVC, EVO|EVC valve events will determine your power band, when they open and for how long/close...

This cam would carry thru to 7K and come alive around 3K

233/248 | .61x”/.59x” | LSA113+5, that stick has 14 degrees of overlap and will still have plenty of chop for you.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
That Dragon Slayer cam would be fine if you just used an adjustable timing set to retard it a couple of degrees, that would shift your peak higher up in the RPM range.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It's way too small. I'm thinking something along the lines of 242/256 650 112lsa

That cam has 25 degrees of overlap, would not be a lot of fun to drive on the street, surging and bucking, though the extra cubes will help and a good tuner could give you decent drivability. However I ran a very similar cam, albeit with less cubes and it was one a 110lsa. Ran great up top and ate valve springs, about all it was good for....PTV was also very tight, in fact when I pulled the heads there were eyebrow impressions on a few of the pistons from contact. Do the pistons in the new motor have valve reliefs?

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Have you looked at a GPI SS3 or SS4 cam? Alot of guys are running those in Arkansas and they are making big power with and without stroker motors. GPI are the guys to go to for anything LS in the region.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
That cam has 25 degrees of overlap, would not be a lot of fun to drive on the street, surging and bucking, though the extra cubes will help and a good tuner could give you decent drivability. However I ran a very similar cam, albeit with less cubes and it was one a 110lsa. Ran great up top and ate valve springs, about all it was good for....PTV was also very tight, in fact when I pulled the heads there were eyebrow impressions on a few of the pistons from contact. Do the pistons in the new motor have valve reliefs?

They do. 2cc valve reliefs. Lol. I made sure. I hate being paranoid. I used to get people all the time telling me I drive my car like an old grandpa because I'm gun shy to break stuff. Knowing how tight the PTV was on the G6X3 just made me terrified. I would paddle shift it at like 6400

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Have you looked at a GPI SS3 or SS4 cam? Alot of guys are running those in Arkansas and they are making big power with and without stroker motors. GPI are the guys to go to for anything LS in the region.

I've not heard of them. I'll check that out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread