416 Stroker Build. Question for GM guys. *GM content*

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Howdy fellas. I recently ordered a new rotating assembly from TSP after I spun #6 rod bearing on my cam only setup. My previous setup on my 2009 C6 A6 was a G6X3 cam with supporting mods (hardened push rods, springs, etc), LG Super Pro 1 3/4 long tubes ceramic coated, off-road X, NPP catback with Exhaust Commander, and a Circle D 3200 converter with tuning from Futral Motorsports. Car made 460/430 with stock intake. Only pass was with a soft launch went 10.91 at 126. [video]https://youtu.be/lIYhJWdONmM[/video]

I ended up losing a lifter after a while and had to change my cam. Went with the Cadillac Racing lifters and the FMS Dragonslayer cam. Very similar power. Car ran great. But ultimately a rod bearing decided to let go for unknown reasons. Was not an oiling issue.

Anyway. I ordered the balanced rotating assembly for the 416 stroker from TSP. Diamond pistons, Callie's compstart h-beams and crank.
A Melling oil pump and ARP everything from the top down. I should be looking at an 11.2/1 compression. I ultimately plan to spray a 200 shot. Here's my question. My Dragonslayer cam specs out at 234/244 646/630 on a 112+4. I know that isn't going to be big enough for the stroker. What are your educated opinions on how big I should go. I DO daily drive the car but my concern is not as much drivability (I mean I was happy with the big ass G6X3 lol) as it is power, sound and longevity. I do like a lopey idle and my car will almost never see the drag strip. Im staying stock LS3 heads and likely intake manifold but I have a Vararam Snake Charmer on it now along with some BTR .660s.

And before anyone says it, yes my transmission will be going to Century or Circle D before I blast it with the bottle. Here's a couple pics of the motor coming out and the damage to my stock crank.

80-image_290cb49a77cfe0772f6359b31293a4812ed02992.jpg

80-image_1fcd2e6fd999ca3fe688d25f88761eba3e4a26ee.jpg

80-image_aed143fff3209138375706e02e7f1c0dd6b781de.jpg

70,000 miles

80-image_f85290409f38ff2b8fbb9f7ee04e9db15974dc7b.jpg

80-image_9c73d7fa4ae58893c2b212ecdeb134d5ad8bee54.jpg

80-image_a46504466f0937f5d89993dcfd06c86d8e10998e.jpg

80-image_6a3527065137446fd618f90a638088e322d3e647.jpg

Ouch

80-image_7d0195eec3701d5c63e4aeac436ea2fd7d61662c.jpg

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Have you asked tsp or even pat g to custom spec a cam? That's some solid money to drop to buy an off the shelf cam.

I've never dealt with Pat G before. And I'm pretty much on my last leg with TSP after hearing "it will ship tomorrow...everyday for the last 2 weeks". I wasn't going to buy a box cam. It's going to be a custom grind but I'm wondering just how big I can go and if guys have had experience with big stroker cams in their cars for a while. Also because I plan to spray a big shot in the future and may actually just go with a blower instead. Lol

The specs on those cams are almost identical. It's almost like a carbon copy.

Yes I know the FMS cam and the G6X3 were almost identical. Like 1 degree less lift. But the ramp rate on the Dragonslayer was much less aggressive. That was my main concern. Also it freed up a little more PTV clearance.

Last edited:

adidasUNT8

Established Member
Good stuff! I have had my fair share of using nitrous with an old car. It gets expensive/addicting/annoying filling bottles. Decided to go with a blower with this build. Yeah it's considerably more up front, but it'll always be there :). No more random sightings with cars on the toll road that wanted to play but your bottle wasn't hooked up. Good luck with the build!

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
G6x4!!! No need to go custom cam. LG has done your combo many many times.

Eh, I'm kinda over the LG cams. Looking for something new.

Good stuff! I have had my fair share of using nitrous with an old car. It gets expensive/addicting/annoying filling bottles. Decided to go with a blower with this build. Yeah it's considerably more up front, but it'll always be there :). No more random sightings with cars on the toll road that wanted to play but your bottle wasn't hooked up. Good luck with the build!

I was gonna go with 2 15lb bottles. Lol. I just can't save the cash to go with a blower. It burns a hole
In my pocket. Lol

T.Man

Established Member
Stick with the same cam. Will be plenty for the stroker.

Last edited:

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/cam-tech-form/

Send a cam tech form to Ed Curtis @ FTI. I've had four cams done by him and they've exceeded my expectations every time. It's true that the duration at .050 and max lift don't really tell you a lot about the lobes of the cam. I have one of his cams currently in my 408, will have it on the engine dyno next month. The specs on mine are similar to the ones you have listed but ground on a 110 lsa 107 icl.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Wow. 110? I bet that thing lopes like crazy. How are the manners? I was told by TSP that I could go 239/242 on a 112 or 113 but any bigger and my 3200 converter may need to be brought up to a 3600-4000 which I didn't want to do being its a daily. They told me 239/242 would be great with a 200 shot because I won't be spraying it often anyway. Only when I need it.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
I'll let you know as soon as I have it running. I have it on the engine stand now waiting to be assembled. I just need some time at home!

That's probably a good suggestion TSP gave you. Those LS3's have a pretty nice induction system so you don't have to get too crazy with the cam for it to work very well. That car will be nasty with a 200 shot haha.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Those LS3|rectangular port heads work better with a bigger split in duration on the exhaust side and you will want more exh dur. since you plan on spraying the house down :D I would look into a Cam Motion grind, talk to Kip Fabre @ Cam Motion they are right there in Baton Rouge. Martin at Tick Performance would also be a good guy to get in touch with, they use Cam Motion and Comp Cams for their camshafts, he can spec one for your setup.

Just shooting from the hip, but something like this...235/250, .64x/64x lift. Sorry if I missed it, but you are using OEM LS3 heads, correct? Any port work going to be done?

Last edited:

00BlackGT

Established Member
call Mike Jones with Jones cam designs, he will get you working right.

weird it spun a bearing... how high were you spinning it.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Those LS3|rectangular port heads work better with a bigger split in duration on the exhaust side and you will want more exh dur. since you plan on spraying the house down :D I would look into a Cam Motion grind, talk to Kip Fabre @ Cam Motion they are right there in Baton Rouge. Martin at Tick Performance would also be a good guy to get in touch with, they use Cam Motion and Comp Cams for their camshafts, he can spec one for your setup.

Just shooting from the hip, but something like this...235/250, .64x/64x lift. Sorry if I missed it, but you are using OEM LS3 heads, correct? Any port work going to be done?

Yes bone stock LS3s. Eventually I'd like to toss on a set of TFs or Mast heads, but right now I have a list about $8000 long with stuff I need to do first. Lol.

call Mike Jones with Jones cam designs, he will get you working right.

weird it spun a bearing... how high were you spinning it.

My shift points are set at around 6,750. All other bearings were flawless. #6 rod bearing failed by the cap side of the bearing sliding underneath the rod side of the bearing somehow. So both halves of the bearing were stacked one under the other just spinning around the journal. Very odd to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread