Ex-'93 Cobra

Established Member
http://sashishi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/4re_0629_001.wmv

http://sashishi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/4re_spl.mpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/erika/scoot.wmv

http://www.epoch-net.ne.jp/yasu/777/4re_001_b.wmv

Right click save target as.

I NEED to drive that .. NOW!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a freakin bike. That would probably be one of the most fun cars I could think of driving. It's small, light, amazingly responsive, sexy, looks to be nearly perfectly balanced, has lot of freaking power. I'll stop now. The more I think of this ... the longer I will be awake.

Best regards.

Ex-'93 Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT Cobra
what the.... :dw:

Umm ... that would be one of the most efficient motors ever made ... producing about 500hp stock NA(Naturally Aspirated .. all motor ... whatever you want to call it). Amazing gains come from simple port/polish and of course forced induction.

That's what.

Last edited:

SVT Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Ex-'93 Cobra
Umm ... that would be one of the most efficient motors ever made ... producing about 500hp stock NA(Naturally Aspirated .. all motor ... whatever you want to call it). Amazing gains come from simple port/polish and of course forced induction.

That's what.

i know what rotary is :bash: and its impressive of course :thumbsup: but the "what the..." was directed at the sound of the engine... the car looks pretty sweet though

Ex-'93 Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
One problem, lack of torque and lack of fuel efficiency.

I don't know enough about rotor motors to discuss that, specifically, with you too much.

BUT...

1. I would think that the bike-like response would make up for any lack of torque, if there was a lack.

2. Our forced induction performance cars and v8s v10s v12s aren't exactly "fuel efficient" ;).

It's reliable and drivable in my book. I'll look for more vids sometime.

One of the most mechanical efficient motors ever built.

~710hp Scoot 4 rotor RX7 (i think)
4 x 654 CC engines

This motor is the combination of four 12A combustion chambers and a custom eccentric shaft. Things you can pretty much bet on is that it's ported and that everything is lightened.

It's NA and produces about 500hp with no mods to it. Straight exhaust, free-er intake, ingntion and such would see close to 600hp. A port (peripheral) job would bump that nearly another 100 hp. Forced induction, just 7lbs is astronomical.

There is no turbo, pure NA and relatively small street port too I heard.
Peripheral port NA 4rotor makes arpound 700-750 hp(Mazda 787B and Downing race motors) at 9000 rpm and runs 24 hrs with no problems.

This motor is a 23A, a rendition of the 26B that won 24hrs of LeMans in 1991.

The 26B in the 787 was a 2.6liter four rotor. It was EFI and had about half a liter on what this engine is making.

EDIT: My apologies to ya svtcobra ... I agree that the motor is quite an amazement.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Ex-'93 Cobra
I don't know enough about rotor motors to discuss that,

BUT...

It's NA and produces about 500hp with no mods to it.
Uh, a Formula 1 or Indy car engine could be argued to not have any mods done to it either. :shrug:

Ex-'93 Cobra

Established Member
The FD(<--3rd gen) and FC(2nd gen) had problems with the apex seals drying out too quickly. The rx-8 finally got around that issue ... I'm sure the 4 rotor motors have done the same.

Somebody who knows more about the wankel rotors could tell you the whole story ... I don't feel like readuing about it again so that I can remember.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I don't know much about rotories but I had a friend who's RX7 blew Apex seals like I go through tires...

That Engine/Car looks pretty sweet thou.....That sound is amazing!!

JustA6Cyl

Established Member
rotory power is a no in my book, to me they are time bombs waiting to go. No torque either. I dont know much alot about rotary but wouldnt they have to take the block apart as well as the other 3 rotors if 1 went bad?

No doubt sounds cool but after all the fabrication its something to be proud about building but, you would probably feel like shit if you got beat bad.

Why arent their any dyno or track vids of the car? All iv been hearing and seeing is vroom vroom vroom a million times, thats great the motor revs up but then what.

If its not in mass production chances are theirs more flaws then gains.

Ex-'93 Cobra

Established Member
Like I said ... the rx-8 and any other rotor motors to be produced in the future should be much more reliable than previous.

If I find more vids ... I'll post em.
I'm sure that the option 2 vid that the clip is from has plent of crazy footage. Buy the option 2 vid :);).

Thanks for that link to that 4 rotor buildup.

Last edited:

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
The rotary is great motor for for turbo induction. You definately have to build the motor from the start though. The 3G cars are notorious for dumping stock engines at 50-60k.... This is usually attributed to poor maintenance or rancid abuse.

However, it is possible to build a bullet proof Rotary with some 4mm Apex seals. The rest of the build-up is elementary. Also, Rotary engines are VERY dirty and keeping the interior of the engine is VERY important. Most blown motor Rx-7's still have the factory fuel filter on them...

Let me read some more and answer some more...

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by TwoValveKid
yeah...they are nice...for about 4000 miles...then you have to replace the seals and tear the engine apart....

A built rotary wont have many reliability issues. Hell my 03 Cobra has more problems than my 86 rex and 89 rex COMBINED. I put 20k miles on my 89 in about 7 months. It had 210k on the clock when i sold it. It was a non-turbo, wich attributed to its reliabilty.

The FC or 2G Rex will last on a turbo motor for 80-100k miles..

I wouldnt suggest skipping over to the rx7 forum... Those guys are extremely anal about their cars... I almost can't stand going over there anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread