4 Link stock setup vs. 3-Link/Torque arm with SRA

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I've started doing some reading on Torque Arm/3-link setups and the conversions companies like Maximum Motorsports offer for the Cobra. I understand the SN197 has a 3-link setup and many believe it is superior to a 4 link setup.

I have the option to buy the full heavy duty Maximum Motorsports torque arm/pan hard bar kit for a good deal. Problem is I still need Subframe connectors and a set of lower control arms.

I was planning on getting the SFCs anyway as well as LCAs, but the MM LCAs I want are not out yet, they are being tested now. Plus the 3" Magnaflow catback I want is not out yet either, and I was going to do LCAs and the catback at the same time for ease of install.

Is it worth it to convert from the 4-link with my solid to a 3-link? Car is going to be a 95% street/5% track vehicle. Final HP goals are somewhere in the 700s, or 650ish and USABLE. I want all the power I am making to hit the pavement (I know, tires are a large factor as well).

Last edited:

727Cobra

Established Member
In for these responses. I have seen a few cars with the Tq arm setup and they all love it. I would like to do this to my fox as well.

Teej281

Established Member
TA/PHB setup is AWESOME! If I hadnt swapped in the IRS into my GT for ride comfort and handling, I would have done that exact setup. What control arms are they testing? I'd be interested in what they actually are. If you cant release in out here, PM me. Your car will launch better and it will corner amazing over a 4 link setup.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
+1 to pretty much what everyone has said.. But here is something you should think about.. I highly doubt that a 3'' catback will fit with that panhard bar.. We had to highly modify my bassani to work.. Maybe it's just my car, but just be aware that there is a possibility that it won't fit.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
All great responses so far guys, I really appreciate it.

Devil Sun, it is the heavy duty version of the kit.

98 Cobra Saleen, also great information. I will go ahead and get the kit and then see how my current bassani works on it and then gauge if I can get away with the 3" Magnaflow CB.

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
I wasn't sure if you were speaking of it being an "option" to chose between standard and heavy-duty and was just clarifying absolutely not to get the standard one. Personally, if I had a 4-link, it wouldn't be on there for long before going to a PHB/TA combo...no hesitation (not many believe, it is), hands down much better than quadra-crap.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
TA/PHB setup is AWESOME! If I hadnt swapped in the IRS into my GT for ride comfort and handling, I would have done that exact setup. What control arms are they testing? I'd be interested in what they actually are. If you cant release in out here, PM me. Your car will launch better and it will corner amazing over a 4 link setup.

The arms are just an extreme duty adjustable ride height arm that are suppose to be capable of taking 700+ at the wheels. You can call MM, they will tell you everything about them. They told me about them 3 months ago before I did my SRA swap.

I swapped the IRS because I was not as concerned about ride quality as I was dropping weight and straight line performance, so glad to hear a quality 3-link will be very useful and help with both straight line performance and handling.

And let's avoid turning this into an IRS vs. SRA thread!

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Agreed on the last part! I'm gonna hate to tell my best friend that he bought the wrong control arms...lol He just bought the extreme duty adjustable lower control arms from MM and he's gonna be ticked to find out these are soon going to be released.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Going to get the torque-arm/panhard bar setup tonight. I'll update with pics, but it will be a while until I get everything installed, I need SFCs and LCAs first.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Ive heard that the only exhausts that work with the PHB is the factory and flowmasters. Sometimes SLP

I'll be sure to post up once I find out for sure. Currently I have a Bassani 2.5" so we'll see. It might be September before I get this all installed though.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I had bassani on mine before my current setup and I had to modify it just so you know.. :(

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Ever get it installed?

Not yet! Still waiting on the SFCs and lower control arms. I have the car for sale but if it doesn't sell, all of the stuff will be installed over the winter. The wife interviewed for a new job and if she gets it her salary doubles, so I will be throwing a lot of money at the car then.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
anymore updates on this? im looking into doing the same thing to my 03 cobra.

thanks

brian

Brian I am actually trying to sell my car. The wife got a new job so I may be able to get a 2013 Boss in the spring.

I may be selling the entire setup, which is BNIB. Let me know if you are interested.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Brian I am actually trying to sell my car. The wife got a new job so I may be able to get a 2013 Boss in the spring.

I may be selling the entire setup, which is BNIB. Let me know if you are interested.

I ordered my stuff Monday and it is due to arrive next Monday.

Sorry

I hate to hear you might be selling your cobra :-(

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
I ordered my stuff Monday and it is due to arrive next Monday.

Sorry

I hate to hear you might be selling your cobra :-(

Man no worries! If I do it will only be to "upgrade" in the sense of something newer and just as fast, or something faster and just as new... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread