4.6 or 351?

2000wrx

Established Member
Okay what plan would you do and why?

I am being very general in my list I know many other parts will be needed but you get the idea.

Plan A:

1996-1998 Cobra
4.6L DOHC (build block)
Head/cams
S/C
T56
Goal 600 HP

Plan B:

1994-1995 Cobra
351 built
H/C/I
S/C
T56
Goal 600 HP

In the end I want a streetable car that can do a roadcourse well, be reliable and make near 600HP, I think both plans can do it just in different ways. I also think that the cost can be close, so please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
4.6 cuz its better in the upper rpms and you want to "road race", so i think it will better suit your needs.
I would say 351 windsor stroked would be better because of the powerful low-mid power when coming out of turns and stuff. I would wonder what the weight difference would be. I just love the idea of a big burly stroker, with a nice lopey idle.

redcobra772

Established Member

Go for a 4.6 bro, I got one and im getting it bored and stroked to a 5.1 with my Novi2000. the motor is all apart and as soon as i get numbers i will post :pepper:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Plan C...

What ever year --->V8<--Mustang...as long as it's 96/04(hydro boost) with a hurt or blown motor...
add 99/04 used Navigator short or long block.. chuck the rods and pistons...
add forged quality pistons and rods...
Sullivan or equivalent intake...w/fuel rails...
and forced induction...(turbo would be heaven... turbos love stroke!!!)
prepared stock Navi crank and block are good to 1000 hp+

plus assorted supporting cast and crew= F'n FAST!!!
That would be a 330 incher BTW(w/standard bores)...

Make sure you've got good axles if you build that BIOTCH!!!!
EDIT---> or you could go NA and build a poor mans Cobra R...
96-04 GT donor would get the 5 link/torque arm rear set up(MM , Griggs, Steeda, KB)
99/04 Cobra(used w/ hurt bottom end) would get the Delrin treatment in the IRS...

2nd EDIT--> make sure you save money for some serious brakes if you use a GT donor!!!
Jimmy :beer: :pepper:

Last edited:

duane v

Established Member
Go with the 351 and stroke it to a 408...then go with a Victor Jr intake (obviously carbed) and throw a 300 shot of squeeze....and you will still have money left over for chassis and suspension upgrades...DA snake boy!!!!

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Plan C...

What ever year --->V8<--Mustang...as long as it's 96/04(hydro boost) with a hurt or blown motor...
add 99/04 used Navigator short or long block.. chuck the rods and pistons...
add forged quality pistons and rods...
Sullivan or equivalent intake...w/fuel rails...
and forced induction...(turbo would be heaven... turbos love stroke!!!)
prepared stock Navi crank and block are good to 1000 hp+

plus assorted supporting cast and crew= F'n FAST!!!
That would be a 330 incher BTW(w/standard bores)...

Make sure you've got good axles if you build that BIOTCH!!!!
EDIT---> or you could go NA and build a poor mans Cobra R...
96-04 GT donor would get the 5 link/torque arm rear set up(MM , Griggs, Steeda, KB)
99/04 Cobra(used w/ hurt bottom end) would get the Delrin treatment in the IRS...

2nd EDIT--> make sure you save money for some serious brakes if you use a GT donor!!!
Jimmy :beer: :pepper:

What kind've bill you think you'd have for all that? Just curious. Sounds sick.

NXSVTCOBRA

plan D, from Mr. Budget, get a loan from a bank

buy a v6 stang $?
a junkyard 351w $150 w/ accessories here
have it bored, align honed, and deck'd $375
set of pistons $450 roughly for forged
new stock rods $100 at the parts store
turn the stock crank 10/10 $75 at my machine shop here
buy a good set of heads new AFR's are about $1,200
i just bought a 351w truck lower intake manifold for $23 dollars at the junk yard, and plan on running a box upper, which im bidding on e-bay currently (it shouldn't go over $175
then you're left with minor stuff like bearings and gaskets

cam could be left up to your discretion, but you can drill the block if its a non roller block and run a motorsport cam, buy a wiring harness from a stock 5.0 to make it all work those are relatively cheap as well, then you're left with money to buy an 8.8, and some control arms......

going carb'd is even cheaper, but im not much of a road course type person, im more drag racer...

it all depends on your budget, junkyard build-ups like i listed are damn dependable, i just did another one for a friend thats running pretty hard, my old 302, (yes 302, not 306 or 347) was at 601 rwhp with just 150 shot, unported cobra upper and lower, and on stock pistons, crank, and rods, without a girdle, and ran damn hard, when i took it apart the internals were still just fine, the pistons were homemade fly-cut, and the only thing aftermarket was the bearings...... so you have plenty of options, just sit down, think about your budget and go from there, i peronally like to go fast on a budget, without spending money on expensive parts

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
For me it would depend on the track, Our local roadcourse (1.8mile) has one long straight and a little shorter straight with most of the track lower speed tight corners, I would prefer the 351.(low end TQ) Some tracks carry alot higher speeds and higher speed corners where the high RPM HP of the modular motor will shine.

Be careful with the S/C and make shure you go intercooled with a good tune, the high temps from forced induction and the natural higher temps of running the road course will play hell on any motor running wide open for at least 20 min. at a time.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
redcobra772 said:
Go for a 4.6 bro, I got one and im getting it bored and stroked to a 5.1 with my Novi2000. the motor is all apart and as soon as i get numbers i will post :pepper:
god i hope you don't mean the CHP kit?
.070 over is never a good idea.

HeXX 1

Established Member
turbo 408? :)

doing the 351 would be much cheaper mainly because modular heads/cams are expensive.. internals would be about the same price either way... S/C would be cheaper on a 351.

I'd personally do a 302 stroker 4.6L with stock ported heads. With the right S/C, you could easily see 600rwhp with that. Just make sure you're careful on choosing the motor's internals.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
With 600HP in a SN95 Cobra, what kind've ETs/MPH are we talking about roughly?

Users who are viewing this thread