4:10 's in-car.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
This was my first trip to the drags this year and did 5 runs - 3 with the 3.100 upper and the last 2 with the 2.900.
1st - 11.95, 2nd - 11.88, 3rd - 12.12 (hit the limiter twice), 4th - 11.89 and 11.78.
60ft's were all in the 1.7's with 116 - 118 mph.

I quess the wing and splitter is holding me back!? Anyway this was my LAST trip to the drags!! The Cobra felt soooo strong on the last run but still NO 11.50's:mj: I give up. Open track is way more fun...lol

I mean, back in 2003 I ran a best of 11.69 @ 118.9 and a 1.620 60ft, with the 3.100 upper, ported Eaton, off road X, catback and stock gears/IRS, under 470 at the wheels!! And now I cannot even get back into the 11.6's, never mind a 11.499999999.:??:

clip of my 2nd run
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/Venom525rwhp/?action=view&current=11.80incarSept2007.flv

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
MustangThief said:
I'd be happy with 11's.... allll the way to 10's. Lol

I'd love to open track the cobra, but i need brakes and cooling mods :(

Yes I know, but the last run was almost perfect. I grabbed all the gears basically WOT with a little chirp into 2nd gear - thought that was the 11.50 I was hoping for.

You have to try some open tracking. To this day I still think there is less stress on the drivetrain - with proper cooling offcourse. IMHO

MustangThief

Established Member
I see all the vids of powershifting and I just can't bring myself to do it...

I still speed shift with full clutch and letting off the gas. I just can't slam gears like I wanna break it... maybe when I have the money banked in case I break, then I'll drive it like it's ok to break it! haha :burnout:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Forget the drag strip results. LOL! You have an absolutely awesome '03 Cobra. That beast belongs on the open course anyway. :)

RedfireSVT

Established Member
MustangThief said:
I'd be happy with 11's.... allll the way to 10's. Lol

I'd love to open track the cobra, but i need brakes and cooling mods :(
in one weekend of open tracking the car, your new brakes will need to be replaced. the road course is brutal on a car and yes, the 03'-04' cobra needs cooling help or it won't last long before it will be limping off the track. that being said, anyone who has an opportunity to drive on a road course should do it, you will be hooked, it's ten times more fun than the drag strip.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
MustangThief said:
I see all the vids of powershifting and I just can't bring myself to do it...

I still speed shift with full clutch and letting off the gas. I just can't slam gears like I wanna break it... maybe when I have the money banked in case I break, then I'll drive it like it's ok to break it! haha :burnout:

Don't sweat it. It is not worth the risk for a timeslip if you ask me, once a year to the dragstrip was enough for me. And after last night you will need a bulldozer to get me back there again.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Forget the drag strip results. LOL! You have an absolutely awesome '03 Cobra. That beast belongs on the open course anyway. :)

Well thank you sir! I needed a comment like that. This morning I found myself looking at 06 Z06's for crying out loud:beer:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
RedfireSVT said:
in one weekend of open tracking the car, your new brakes will need to be replaced. the road course is brutal on a car and yes, the 03'-04' cobra needs cooling help or it won't last long before it will be limping off the track. that being said, anyone who has an opportunity to drive on a road course should do it, you will be hooked, it's ten times more fun than the drag strip.

Yes and no...
With a good "driver mod" decent brakes , by that I mean track pads and rotors with cooling ducts, will do much longer than a weekend. I've done 4 track days (30 plus laps each) and 3 KOTH's on the Delaware oval this year on 1 set of brembo rotors and 2 sets of full race pads. And yes, our cars need a LOT of cooling upgrades - bigger rad, ducting, the works - to make them reliable on the open track.
But now I must say that my Cobra is pretty quick, it can keep up with a new Z06 (stock offcourse) for 30 laps no problem AND run the 1/4 in 11.8's.

Compare this Mosport open track clip to the dragclip... note the stress levels on the drivetrain.
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/Venom525rwhp/?action=view&current=1lapofMosportavi.flv

Users who are viewing this thread