4.10 Gears to much?

StewartJ23

Established Member
Hey guys I'm considering putting 4.10s into my 03' but I'm fairly new to mods so just trying to get some information from the professionals. I've heard a few things about these, it seems like everyone who has them loves them but I have read that it is to much torque, I had a buddy with an 04' and his differential exploded because of the torque. Should I buy anything with these 4.10s to help support the torque or reduce the risk of this happening to me? I guess I rally just wanna know if the 4.10s will cause a lot of issues for me? Also I have heard that 4.10s will reduce engine life dramatically, any truth to that or? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

cobracide

Established Member
Why do you want 4.10's? Are you drag racing at the track? Mods? How tall are your tires? 4.10s should remotely near the top of a typical mods list. You need to beef up the drivetrain. The mod list is make all the time, look around.

Last edited:

StewartJ23

Established Member
No, just street racing, but I heard the Torque is awesome with it! So far h&r lowering springs, JLT CAI, 2.76 pulley w/idler thats it right now still a working progress.

Last edited:

tedster429

Established Member
If it were an auto car I would say hell yeah 4:10s all the way. I would stick with your 3:55 0r go 3:73 if you really had to. If your going to be on the tracvk all the time you can run them but if its a dd or driven alot then there just going to be annoying considering I used to have them in my 04gt back in the day. Now with the breaking issue, if your launching the car hard there is always a chance so build the rear or do a 8.8 swap and some 31 spline axles.

Ironhand

Banned
If it's just for street racing then leave the 3.55s in. It'll give you more time in gear and help with your top end pull. Not to mention help you get traction.

StewartJ23

Established Member
Is it worth it to build the rear end to put 4.10s in? I'm probably only gonna put my cobra up to 500-600hp. Also tedster you said it was more annoying, just out of curiosity why annoying?

cobracide

Established Member
Is it worth it to build the rear end to put 4.10s in? I'm probably only gonna put my cobra up to 500-600hp. Also tedster you said it was more annoying, just out of curiosity why annoying?

At that power level you will be traction limited so as we've been saying forget the 4.10s. This car is not naturally aspirated and develops peak torque very low off idle.

Annoying is the car getting "buzzy" on the highway from too many RPMs. Try 4.10s in a 2001 Cobra five speed.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i hated 4.10s .. i was constantly shifting and rpms sucked on highway cruises .. not to mention 1st gear was completely useless (at least at my power level) ... i went back to 3.55s and love them so much more .. my vote is no more than 3.73 .. but 3.55 is a great gear

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I know this is off subject a bit, but I have seen guys go to 327's on the street. Mainly guys with TS. I am kinda kickin that idea around.

I definitely wouldn't 410's at your proposed power.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my car is my dd with occasional trips to the track and i just went from 3.55 to 3.73. so far i like it alot, but to be honest there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference. but it does feel a little quicker

i almost went 4:10's but didn't just in case i would end up regretting the highway rpm's, esp since i spend more time on the highway than i do dragging the car.

someday i will probably try it out 4:10's tho

mach1033

Established Member
I know this is off subject a bit, but I have seen guys go to 327's on the street. Mainly guys with TS. I am kinda kickin that idea around.

I definitely wouldn't 410's at your proposed power.

Thats the route I'm going. For my power level I think 327's will be a great gear with all the low end TQ.

cobracide

Established Member
Thats the route I'm going. For my power level I think 327's will be a great gear with all the low end TQ.

A little self-defeating with a horsepower advantage and lowering gears to compensate at that level. A lower hp car can take advantage of the less than optimal gearing ratio. Not saying you will lose but it will be closer than expected.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
A little self-defeating with a horsepower advantage and lowering gears to compensate at that level. A lower hp car can take advantage of the less than optimal gearing ratio. Not saying you will lose but it will be closer than expected.

Once I make the change I will give my honest opinion. My thought process is that being that all my TQ will come in at 3k it will give me better traction on the street. Plus I can keep it in gear longer. Before I blew my motor I would just light up my DR's with the 1st to 2nd gear shift. If it really sucks then I will go back the 373's. Also I have been in a Cobra with 410's and in my opinion its just to low a gear for our cars. Now when I had my Mach 1 I put 410's in there and it was great.

holzmach

Established Member
i got 4:10's, on 18 in saleens with a 315 30 tire. im 2.76 pullied and i would not go any other route, i love them. 4th gear and 110 you are right around 6000 rpm. i bought the car this way. i went from a 310-320 whp mach 1 with 355's to this beast cobra with 460 whp and 410's. i had no trouble with the change and hitting 110 comes like no other. 60 mph you are at just a tic over 2000 rpm in 6th gear. even when i go ported and lower pulley, they are staying. i really dont have a lot of trouble with spinning, but i dont punch the throttle either. you learn to drive the car to keep it from spinning. the gears would not be my first pick in mods, but they are great to have. on a hot day when the engine is lackin and heat soaked, the gears will always be there.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea you probably do.. I hate that I"m always shifting and everyone says with a centri go 4.10's.. yea B/S you always shifting and you don't stay in gear long enough to really take advantage of the top end these blowers have.. 4.10s= the suck!

Users who are viewing this thread