4.0 whippled cammed gt500 on stock block

ItsReal

Established Member
Hey everyone, just have a few questions on a car I'm getting ready to purchase. The car is a 13 gt500 cammed with l&m nsr cams and has a 4.0 leader Whipple on it with a 4" pulley tuned by Lund on 91/93. Car has under 5k miles on it as it has been pretty much a garage queen. Car has long tube headers, throttle body and a few other goodies. It made 750ish rwhp on 8 psi.

My question is as long as I leave the car on low boost, shift at 6k rpm and under 800 rwhp the stock block should be fine correct? I would also be putting it on e85 not necessarily for power gain but for health of the engine due to better octane.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G998U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I mean, it'll be fine until it's not. No one here can really say for sure.

If you're running 93 and no timing is being pulled or there's no knock, E85 won't be any help. 93 won't magically stop working on the tune.

ItsReal

Established Member
I just figured it would be more efficient and easier on the motor making this kinda power on low boost than a smaller blower with more boost to make the same power.

Willie

Established Member
I would also be putting it on e85 not necessarily for power gain but for health of the engine due to better octane. I just figured it would be more efficient and easier on the motor making this kinda power on low boost than a smaller blower with more boost to make the same power.
... for the health... ? Ummm. Ethanol has two pros: 1) Cheap, & 2) Octane. These two points are strong and very tempting, but the cons far outweigh the pros (IMHO). Ethanol is very corrosive and hydroscopic. Very very bad, especially if the car sits a lot. I'm not going to get into all the cons here, but just say I personally will never allow it to touch any of my cars since none of them are designed to use it. If you need the octane, methanol is the way to go (says the methanol king on this forum, lol).

You nailed the other statement. I went this route with my 4.2 LC. My former 2.3 TVS with a 2.4" pulley made 19.4 psig but had to spin it over blower redline, about 19,000 rpms. My 4.2 makes 21.5 psig with the largest available pulley, a 4.0", which spins only 12,400 rpms at engine redline. Sweet...!

I know a guy who has virtually an identical setup as mine, except he uses a 3.25" pulley and he sees 35 pounds of boost...! So on your 4.0, stay with the 4.0"...

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
... for the health... ? Ummm. Ethanol has two pros: 1) Cheap, & 2) Octane. These two points are strong and very tempting, but the cons far outweigh the pros (IMHO). Ethanol is very corrosive and hydroscopic. Very very bad, especially if the car sits a lot. I'm not going to get into all the cons here, but just say I personally will never allow it to touch any of my cars since none of them are designed to use it. If you need the octane, methanol is the way to go (says the methanol king on this forum, lol).

You nailed the other statement. I went this route with my 4.2 LC. My former 2.3 TVS with a 2.4" pulley made 19.4 psig but had to spin it over blower redline, about 19,000 rpms. My 4.2 makes 21.5 psig with the largest available pulley, a 4.0", which spins only 12,400 rpms at engine redline. Sweet...!

I know a guy who has virtually an identical setup as mine, except he uses a 3.25" pulley and he sees 35 pounds of boost...! So on your 4.0, stay with the 4.0"...

Methanol is more corrosive that Ethanol and no (factory) car is designed for it. Ethanol is at least a consideration in design since all pump gas contains a percentage. About absorbing water... are you not also injecting water with the Meth? I guess the difference is the volume used? Running e85 with little petroleum vs a lot of petroleum and a little spray added?

I don't know much about meth, not being a dick. I ask to learn.

Last edited:

68gtscode

Established Member

Willie, how is the 4.2 KB on throttle response and low end torque relative to the 2.3 TVS? This is an age-old discussion about efficiency range of different sized blowers... I have always been lead to believe that a smaller blower spun hard will have more instant throttle response and low end torque than a large blower that is hardly turning. Please let us know your experience. Thanks!

68gtscode

Established Member
That must drive terrible with a giant whipple pullied down to 700whp. No thanks!

A ~2.65, 2.8, 2.9 sized blower would be much more fun.
This was my initial thought too, and why I asked Willie for his first-hand input. 4.0L of supercharger is a lot for only 8 pounds and 750rw. I had 2.3 VMP Gen2R on my last coyote- it made mid 700s on 93 and 840 on e85 through an auto. It was very fun on the street… I assume a big blower spun so slowly would be lazy, but I don’t have any first-hand experience with the big blowers.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you"ll be fine. A stock 5.8 block is good to 1000 hp as long as you dont over rev. That 4.0 whipple is alittle to big for that set up but its something to work with for a future forged bottom end and a good tune to get some higher boost.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey everyone, just have a few questions on a car I'm getting ready to purchase. The car is a 13 gt500 cammed with l&m nsr cams and has a 4.0 leader Whipple on it with a 4" pulley tuned by Lund on 91/93. Car has under 5k miles on it as it has been pretty much a garage queen. Car has long tube headers, throttle body and a few other goodies. It made 750ish rwhp on 8 psi.

My question is as long as I leave the car on low boost, shift at 6k rpm and under 800 rwhp the stock block should be fine correct? I would also be putting it on e85 not necessarily for power gain but for health of the engine due to better octane.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sounds like a great car with great potential. I too would put it on E85 and have it retuned. Willie is a huge supporter of meth injection but I’ve been on E85 with multiple cars for 15yrs and no problems. Using an ethanol stabilizer or storing it in pump gas are good options, but the only real downside to E85 is that pumps need to be considered a maintenance item and swapped every 2yrs. Thankfully they’re only about $150 each and honestly ANY 1000hp car will need maintenance.
If you check the car over and it’s healthy, I’d personally buy it, swap in 2 fresh Walbro 295 ‘Hellcat’ pumps, E85 and pulley it for 9-10psi and keep it at 800-850whp with shifts at 6500rpm
Good luck.
Pics?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread