373s or 410s

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I just ordered 3.73's for my Cobra today. Its all a matter of opinion really. I don't race my car (no tracks around even if I wanted to), its my DD and most of my commute is highway. I'm not worried about gas or anything, but the difference between 3.73's and 4.10's might be a couple tenths in the 1/4, which isn't a concern for me anyways.

I think i've said this in another gear thread, but as everyone has stated the rule of thumb is 3.73's for a 5.0L (which I had 3.73's in my Fox) and 4.10's for the mod motor Cobra. I wish I went with 3.55's in my Fox so my gut tells me to get 3.73's for the Cobra, which I did. Again, I don't race and have a feeling the 3.73's will make enough of a difference to satisfy me.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
I just ordered 3.73's for my Cobra today. Its all a matter of opinion really. I don't race my car (no tracks around even if I wanted to), its my DD and most of my commute is highway. I'm not worried about gas or anything, but the difference between 3.73's and 4.10's might be a couple tenths in the 1/4, which isn't a concern for me anyways.

I think i've said this in another gear thread, but as everyone has stated the rule of thumb is 3.73's for a 5.0L (which I had 3.73's in my Fox) and 4.10's for the mod motor Cobra. I wish I went with 3.55's in my Fox so my gut tells me to get 3.73's for the Cobra, which I did. Again, I don't race and have a feeling the 3.73's will make enough of a difference to satisfy me.

you said it much better than me. my thoughts exactly.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
This dead horse must be tired of getting beat.

I went with 4.10s but should have gone with 4.30's.

i dont think theres anymore horse left to beat

ALSO wish i would have gone 4.30 instead of 4.10

and OP use amsoil and ford addative

blacksheep-1

Established Member
3.73 for the pushrod motors, 4.10 for the cammers generally speaking, although the fast n/a cammers around here are running 4.56s at the track, so you could probably fudge that "street" recommendation to 4.30s and be fine.

i8urSS

Established Member
I bought mine with 3.73 and after about a month I upgraded to 4.10's. Now about 2 months later I wish I would have gone 4.30's. Mine is a DD and I do a couple of long trips (400-800 miles) per year. I found my city mileage got better by 3 mpg and my hwy mileage stayed the same. The 3.73's, while better than the 3.27, didn't do much for the attitude of the car. However the 4.10's made it a different animal completely.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I bought mine with 3.73 and after about a month I upgraded to 4.10's. Now about 2 months later I wish I would have gone 4.30's. Mine is a DD and I do a couple of long trips (400-800 miles) per year. I found my city mileage got better by 3 mpg and my hwy mileage stayed the same. The 3.73's, while better than the 3.27, didn't do much for the attitude of the car. However the 4.10's made it a different animal completely.

This^^ and especialy the red part.

Look, We understand that it is "all a matter of opinion" as a chooser of 3.73s put it.

But one should point out that 90% of those who have been there done that will say 4.10 minimum, wish I would have gone 4.30 and my next one will be 4.56

If you have a preconcieved notion that you are going to be happy with 3.73s then why ask?

3.73 is not a big enough difference over 3.27s to make spending the $$$ worth it. Kind of like the TB issue, not worth the $$ and headache for the little gains.
They do not do enough to wake this car up.

4.10s+ give this car what it needs.
It suffers from a lack of low end TQ in a motor that HAPPILY lives in higher RPM ranges than the V8s of old did.

Most of us have been through the "too low MPG" thing, the "Too high of rpms on the interstate" thing and all survived to tell you that those are myths.

So yes, it is a matter of opinion, but the opinion of the majority who have been there lives with the old saying, "Don't fear the gear"

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
It all comes down to most things on here...opinion. I will say this, those who say that it is not a big enough difference from 3.27 to 3.73....again...a matter of opinion. I could definitely tell a difference. the same line of reasoning could say that going from 3.73 to 4.10 is not that big a difference either....in fact mathematically it is less since the difference between 3.27 to 3.73 is .46 and the difference between 3.73 and 4.10 is .37, but the people who have experienced both in the same car will say different, like me, but again...it is a matter of opinion on how much of a difference. My definition of the amount of difference may be very different than someone else.

I think the true decision should be based more on style of driving and what you are expecting to get out of the gear change. and to me, unless the car is strictly a weekend car or track car, mileage, nowadays, for those of us who live paycheck to paycheck, matters. if I can have what I love and afford to drive it...makes it that much more of a pleasure and when it is a DD, it matters even more.

i8urSS

Established Member
4.10's will practically pay for themselves over time. Like I said, I picked up 3 mpg when I swapped up. Which is an extra 45 miles per tank, which is like essentially getting 3 gallons of gas free per fill up. At $3.60 per gallon, my gears will pay for themselves in about 6 months.

SVTPete83

Established Member
This^^ and especialy the red part.

Look, We understand that it is "all a matter of opinion" as a chooser of 3.73s put it.

But one should point out that 90% of those who have been there done that will say 4.10 minimum, wish I would have gone 4.30 and my next one will be 4.56

If you have a preconcieved notion that you are going to be happy with 3.73s then why ask?

3.73 is not a big enough difference over 3.27s to make spending the $$$ worth it. Kind of like the TB issue, not worth the $$ and headache for the little gains.
They do not do enough to wake this car up.

4.10s+ give this car what it needs.
It suffers from a lack of low end TQ in a motor that HAPPILY lives in higher RPM ranges than the V8s of old did.

Most of us have been through the "too low MPG" thing, the "Too high of rpms on the interstate" thing and all survived to tell you that those are myths.

So yes, it is a matter of opinion, but the opinion of the majority who have been there lives with the old saying, "Don't fear the gear"

I think stampede and I have commented on almost every gear thread in this section for the last few years. He hits the nail on the head here. Matter of opinion, maybe. But every ones opinion that knows these cars well is 410 minimum. Hell I didn't take my 4.56s out and put 4.10s in until I had 570whp. The 4.56s are that good in these cars. It doesn't really kill milage. And didn't make no difference on the freeway for me either. I'm the end, if 3.73s make you happy, good for you. But you won't be happy anymore after you go for a ride in a car with 4.56s. That isn't opinion. It's a fact.

brucesvt

Established Member
All of my cobras have had 4.10s but got to drive a buddys cobra with 4.30s and WOW!!! i am hooked my next car will have atleast 4.30s lol

Noreast

Established Member
I have 4.10s sitting on my floor going in next week! Going from 3.27 to a 4.10 so it should feel night and day difference.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Got my 3.73's installed yesterday. I took a video of me driving on the freeway before, and will take another one after. Just waiting on my speedo gear to arrive (should come today) to correct the speedometer.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
Got my 3.73's installed yesterday. I took a video of me driving on the freeway before, and will take another one after. Just waiting on my speedo gear to arrive (should come today) to correct the speedometer.

cool! the speedo gear should put you right on as long as your tires are not way of in height.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Ya stock wheels/tires for now. I've heard even with the right speedo gear the speedometer can be off ~1-2mph but that's better than the 10+ it's off now. I'm retarded for not ordering one in advance of the install... I knew about it for weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread