373s or 410s

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
Im having a hard time deciding what kind of gears to go with 373s or 410s.I have a 98 cobra with long tube headers a cai and throttle body.I have a stock rear end.what gears do you guys recommend? Any brand in particular?

PC03GT

Established Member
Yup, 4:10's will definitely wake that thing up. Gears are the best bang for the buck on the older cobras and gts. Can't go wrong with ford racing gears

Last edited:

CobraHuck

Established Member
I have 4.10s and they're perfect IMO. My car is my DD and I love them, but I'm also not on the interstate much. If you're on the highway ALOT, then 3.55/3.73 would be good but if it's not your DD or you're not on the highway much, then 4.10s or lower. I'd go 4.30s if it wasn't my DD for sure

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
I have 4.10s and they're perfect IMO. My car is my DD and I love them, but I'm also not on the interstate much. If you're on the highway ALOT, then 3.55/3.73 would be good but if it's not your DD or you're not on the highway much, then 4.10s or lower. I'd go 4.30s if it wasn't my DD for sure

Its my DD.Im also not on the highway much unless its for a short time no long distance

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member

Should I use synthetic gear oil? Im going with amsoil

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
^ Agreed. I have ridin in a B head cobra with 355 and until he told me I thought it was stock. Also had a fox rear with 373 after tearing mine out at the track for a bit, let me tell you they are still dogs with anything less than 410s. I ran 410s in my 1996 cobra with the mods you have a then some. This car was my DD with many Highway miles as I was stationed in Fort Stewart and Traveled to NC many weekends. Still got around 20-21 miles to the gallon. I will never go lower than
410s. I am wanting to go 430s on my laser red but its going to be running 150 shot so I am going to stick with 410s again. Hope this helps

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
don't know why all the hate for 3.73's. I have had both, 3.73's and 4.10's; use mine as a DD and travel in it. I put in 3.73's with mine, could definitely feel it and would not have any other gear for how I use the car. 4.10's were not on my radar screen after traveling with them. Used Ford Racing gears, install kit and Amsoil fluid with modifier. no issues at all.

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
don't know why all the hate for 3.73's. I have had both, 3.73's and 4.10's; use mine as a DD and travel in it. I put in 3.73's with mine, could definitely feel it and would not have any other gear for how I use the car. 4.10's were not on my radar screen after traveling with them. Used Ford Racing gears, install kit and Amsoil fluid with modifier. no issues at all.

How bad were they traveling bro?

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
ive got a 4.10 thats going in as soon as the weather breaks .i am wondering in 5th gear running 70mph what will the rpms be?

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
How bad were they traveling bro?
considerably more gas.....as an example, when I went to out of state car shows with a buddy of mine with his 03 Mach 1...his has 3.55 gears OEM. with the 3.73, I used about 2 more gallons of gas than he did...with the 4.10's about 4-5 more gallons. I did not check the actual miles per gallon, but it was that much difference (prior to the gears changes with the stock 3.27's he and I got about the same mileage). then just driving..I don't remember the exact rpms, but when we would travel in groups, I always got the "man your car is screamin!" comments. in I think it was Oklahoma, there were some speed limits at 80 and the car was sucking some gas and revvin at that speed and a little more... for long periods of time. I don't like that idea of traveling for miles at that RPM range...but then...that is just me. I don't abuse my cars.

Last edited:

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
I will say this also, as it may influence your decision..the tire size will also make a difference. After traveling with 3.15's on the car that I had the 4.10's in, I needed tires and so went with a different series tire rather than the 35 series the 315's were. the number of revolutions for the tires I got was different and thus changed the overall ratio to about 3.90 which helped. so, you could go the 4.10's and then have some control over the final drive ratio by what tire you select.

this site allows you to compare tire sizes and also final drive ratio when you plug in all the information it asks for. they don't have all the ratios we generally look at but it is close for most.

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I got about 3-4MPG worse with the 4.30s but still in the low-mid 20s on the highway keeping it between 70-75.

I picked up 2-3MPG in city driving due to not lugging the crap out of a motor that loves to rev.
City went up from 15 or so to 18.
All in all my average hardly changed but the seat of the pants feel sure did.

The MPG arguement usually isn't worth it. Want MPG, buy a corolla IMO but mine was not my DD so it may be more important to others.

Still, Get the 4.30s. You will not regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread