351w won't start after i shut it off

startthesho

i want 12s
Established Member
as the title says, my engine will start cold, run and stay at a decent temp when it is sitting/idling (~180*), but when i shut it down it won't fire again for about 10-15 minutes.

i recently replaced the head gaskets after they both let go last fall. got it completely together a couple of weeks ago. adjusted the valves for first start up, ran it to warm it. shut it down to put a valve cover with no top on to make final adjustments, and now it won't fire back up.

timing is fine, fuel is there, spark is apparently there at least when cold(?). i do have the plugs gapped at 35 i believe for nitrous. they looked clean when we pulled them. this engine does have ~500 miles on it only as i just got it in mid-september, and then the head gaskets went in early october. could it just be tight and stubborn still? any other ideas?

it's carbed, msd 6al dizzy, and blaster coil, ford 9mm plug wires

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Carb size type?

Double check the bowl plugs aren't too tight and they are filling with fuel correctly.

Failing fuel pump or fuel lines.

battery/alternater?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
on my carbed 289 after running for a long time if i shut it off for a while 10-15 min. if i turn the key it just cranks until i press the pedal all the way down, and continue cranking. It fires right up:shrug:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
on my carbed 289 after running for a long time if i shut it off for a while 10-15 min. if i turn the key it just cranks until i press the pedal all the way down, and continue cranking. It fires right up:shrug:

That's just it...my Koupe did it off and on.....it ended up being the fuel level in teh bowls. :beer:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
as the title says, my engine will start cold, run and stay at a decent temp when it is sitting/idling (~180*), but when i shut it down it won't fire again for about 10-15 minutes.

i recently replaced the head gaskets after they both let go last fall. got it completely together a couple of weeks ago. adjusted the valves for first start up, ran it to warm it. shut it down to put a valve cover with no top on to make final adjustments, and now it won't fire back up.

timing is fine, fuel is there, spark is apparently there at least when cold(?). i do have the plugs gapped at 35 i believe for nitrous. they looked clean when we pulled them. this engine does have ~500 miles on it only as i just got it in mid-september, and then the head gaskets went in early october. could it just be tight and stubborn still? any other ideas?

it's carbed, msd 6al dizzy, and blaster coil, ford 9mm plug wires

Does it still crank when trying to start it after it's warm?

startthesho

i want 12s
Established Member
i forgot that i had posted this on here lol. it cranks, and cranks, and cranks, but no fire when it's hot. if i give it time to cool down it will fire right up. fuel is there and good. carb is a 750...i think that it's too much for the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread