351C 2V Heads?

fknsmshn

Established Member
So this an engine question, not a Mustang question. But, this is the only sub-forum that seemed fitting.

I just got a set of 2V Cleveland heads for free. Thought they were 4V heads, being as the intake I got with em is, but I had the wrong suffix on the casting number.

Im going back to get the complete block in the near future, I now assume its a 2V block, so I dont have much desire to keep it around. Before I found out the heads were 2V I was thinkin about buildin a Clevor (Cleveland heads/Windsor blcok) motor, and now Im likin that idea even more. Being as the heads arent worth a whole bunch.

Is it worth tryin, or should I just flip the whole lot for what ever I can get for it?

slowgreycobra

Established Member
If you want to go stock iron heads the 351c 2v(venturi not valves) vs 351w the 2v heads will outdo the stock Windsor heads hands down. The 2v are good for a decent build with a little work. The 4v would make a lot of power and contrary to the magazine and internet BS they will run fine on the street. You just have to cam and gear it correctly. It is not a chevy engine and cams made on chevy lobes will suck. I have a set of closed chamber 4v heads myself and they aren't cheap.

The 2v block is the same as the 4v except pistons and cam. It is far from junk.

Going clevor will be a lot different. The clevland has a dry intake and the Windsor has coolant running through it. Certain ports between the head and block will need to be modified.

A 351c with 400-450 using 2v heads is attainable and with 4v heads people are running 500+. This isn't just bolting crap together, it will take a good plan to get there.

Comparing the valve size, the Cleveland has larger valves than ford big blocks.

The shortcomings of the clevland are its oiling system in high horsepower applications. There are ways around it that are as easy as doing the head cooling mod on a 4v modular.

The fastest small block mustang was the 1971 boss 351 with a 4v Cleveland. It was able to crack off a high 13 second time in crap tires. Look how long it took a mustang to hit the 13s off the showroom floor again.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Blaine

Established Member
The shortcomings of the clevland are its oiling system in high horsepower applications. There are ways around it that are as easy as doing the head cooling mod on a 4v modular.

If your using the Cleveland block and the motors out.. first mod should be the oiling mod. There are two mods you can do.. I did the priority oiling bypass mod when I rebuilt mine. Its under 300.00. Don't just toss on a high flow oil pump or it will cause problems.

The 2V heads aren't bad for stock. The 4V heads flow a ton more but will hurt you down low in stock trim. You could find stock 4V heads for dirt cheap. I rebuilt my stock 4V heads, but MAKE sure you replace the 2 piece stock valves with one piece valves or it may cost you your engine.

Users who are viewing this thread