350Z Owner..."You blew me out of the water"

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I test drove a 350Z last year (I was shopping for my dad's Bday gift), and frankly I didn't get it. It's slow, cramped, noisy, and expensive. My father had a '89 300ZX TT, and at the time that car made perfect sense. In 2003, the 350Z doesn't add up. For the money a Cobra is a far better choice, and if I wanted a 2-seater with top handling, a C5 is (these days) only a few $K more.

FWIW, I ended up getting my dad a WRX Wagon. 4WD is a much better choice for snowy New England anyway...

Titanz

Established Member
Nice story. I think Nissan may have to create their sports cars with a V8 if they expect to be more competitive. Perhaps Nissan may have a different perspecitve among sports car enthusiasts and the Z's V6 engine being nicely engineered. But look at Ford what they had to do with its 03 Cobra having placed a supercharged 4.6 liter vs. a 3.5 liter is obvious in its math. Give me a break.

ibismojo

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
And it will probably be $50,000+, "400 HP" and slower than a stock '03 with mild pulley, chip, exhaust...

If nissan does come out with a TT Z, it could be (though it might not be) as fast as the procharged Z's. And if it is pretty close to a supercharged Z, then I believe you'll have a pretty close race:

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52162

Holly Crap!! 350z Was On My A$$

silverstone_350z
350Z Newbie

MI

Report post | IP: Logged
The craziest thing just happend..and i thought i would share this with you guys.

On my way back from summerset mall in Detroit, a blue 350Z was coming on to the highway from a ramp. I see him and didnt think much of it. All of the sudden, i see this guy going in and out of traffic trying to catch up. i am thinking "damn, this guy must really be in a hurry for an *** whoopin"

He comes up to me and starts tauting me?!?!

so, i am like ok..we were going about 65 mph and i drop it in 2nd, my rpms were screaming at about 6200 ..i do this so i can get a good jump and quickly shift into 3rd...this is where the driving comes into play..

So, he hears me downshift and i see him downshift..this guy obviously knows the ethics of street racing so i started to honk.
on the 3rd honk, we both take off..i got the jump and powershifted 3rd immediatly..ummm..WTF??!?!?! I AM NOT PULLING HARD?!??!????? lol..i was actually laughing because i couldnt believe it..i shifted into 4th and shut down at about 125 where i only had 2 cars on him max.

I signal for him to pull over..we chat, and he opens his hood. BAM!! Pro-charger..LOL. HOLY ****. he even showed me his dyno and he was pushing 345 rwhp. he had other bolt ons too.

I took his email, we talked about cars, and took off. he said "i always wanted to race a Z06, i cant believe how fast they are stock"

Damn, SC 350Z's are no joke..gave me a better race then a 03 Cobra!!

1.74 60' on bfg's

F23A4

Established Member
Originally posted by Titanz
Nice story. I think Nissan may have to create their sports cars with a V8 if they expect to be more competitive. Perhaps Nissan may have a different perspecitve among sports car enthusiasts and the Z's V6 engine being nicely engineered.

I totally agree; and Nissan has a great V8 -- the 340hp VQ45DE motor (Q45, M45). But I imagine that the VQ45 would detract from the current Z's handling abilities, which are exceptional. I pressume Nissan wanted a good balance of power and handling abilities. If they wanted a muscle car, the parts are there. IMO, they should create a limited production musclecar variant (i.e.: 450Z Track model) with the 4.5L V8. I'm certain it would be quicker than the current Z's low 14s, in light of the addl 53hp. But a TT setup on the VQ35 should take care of that.

Originally posted by Titanz
But look at Ford what they had to do with its 03 Cobra having placed a supercharged 4.6 liter vs. a 3.5 liter is obvious in its math. Give me a break.

...a like I've repeated often here. SC 4.6L V8 versus NA 3.5L V6; head-to-head, you race what you brung. But, speaking in generalities and theoreticals, the math is clear.

Also, what is the maximum stock HP/TQ output of any version of the Ford 4.6L V8 in NA form? (serious question)

Last edited:

MustangFreak

Established Member
Most output in a production model 4.6?

Probably the Mach 1 version 4.6 dohc

Ford says it is 305 hp but it is more like 320-330hp.

You also need to remember something called torque!

EDIT: (didn't realize you had also asked about torque. Again, Ford rated it at 320 ft/lbs. but this has also found to be way too conservative!)

Just MHO

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by F23A4

Also, what is the maximum stock HP/TQ output of any version of the Ford 4.6L V8 in NA form? (serious question)

Actually, based off of dyno results, just about as much as the LS1 (The Mach1's DOHC 4.6 as Mustang Freak has pointed out)

In 05 the Mustang GT will come standard with about the same power output that the Mach1 has now and that will be out of a N/A 4.6 as well.

F23A4

Established Member
Originally posted by MustangFreak
Most output in a production model 4.6?

Probably the Mach 1 version 4.6 dohc

Ford says it is 305 hp but it is more like 320-330hp.

You also need to remember something called torque!

EDIT: (didn't realize you had also asked about torque. Again, Ford rated it at 320 ft/lbs. but this has also found to be way too conservative!)

Just MHO

The VK45DE has 340hp NA with torque rated @ 333lb-ft OR more than enough to run the Z through traps slightly quicker than the current V6 287hp/274lb-ft config. And like Ford, Nissan's HP/TQ numbers tend to be gray areas (i.e.: 5sp Altimas running very low 14s w/ "240-245hp" OR the fact that the 260hp G35 Sedan 6sp runs nearly as quick as the 287hp 350Z) .

You see, unlike Honda, Nissan knows how to generate torque out of their engines. Reference their VK56 motor (Pathfinder Armada/QX56) that generates a normally aspirated 305hp/385lb-ft); BTW where's the current Triton V8 @ with lb-ft. ;-)

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by F23A4
OR the fact that the 260hp G35 Sedan 6sp runs nearly as quick as the 287hp 350Z) .

The G35 has 280hp though doesnt it?

I will say though, if it did or does have 260hp, that would be a pretty hefty underrating by infiniti because the 350Z which has 287hp weighs about 400lbs less than the G35 does.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Maybe I'm crazy, but I drove a 350z and could swear the the 287hp that it puts out would not be enough to keep up with my old 5.0 rated at 215, with a OR H and Flows in the quarter.

Those small 6's just don't have enough low end torque.

After driving the 350 and the Cobra, it was a no brainer!

You might look more sophisticated in the Z, but it just doesn't have the gnads the Cobra does!

Titanz

Established Member
Well many of us have different expectations when it comes to performance with cars or any particular interests . The 350z is fun to drive while the 03 Cobra has monsterous power and also a lot of fun to drive. Check out this link of a twin turbo 350z video. Just click on videos and right click download 350z Twin turbo. Maybe this should be a closer match against a 03 cobra assuming it's stock.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread