330 rwhp Mustang GT vs. S/C Lotus Exige at VIR

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
The video is a one lap comparison between me and a supercharged Lotus Exige at VIR full course circuit (2:19) in the advanced solo group - interesting to watch the two steering wheels throughout the lap. Can't wait till next season and shave off 2 more seconds! This is my first Mustang and first season taking it to the track.... so don't be too hard on me, I'll get faster. LOL
:beer:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4NptZCg-HY"]YouTube - VIR Mustang GT vs Supercharged Lotus Exige[/nomedia]

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
Well done, very smooth. But I just want to know how the Lotus driver passes tech with having that distraction attached to his windshield. What a dumbass. Those things are hard enough to see out of especially with the ridiculously large rearview mirrors they come with (which his still has).

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Nice and smooth! Pretty cool that that big ole car ran basically the same lap as that very trick little light weight Lotus. I'm surprised. Was he in advanced too?:shrug:

This event took place during the SVT Cobra Mustang Club event at VIR in the Advanced/Solo group. I have to confess, I've been doing this for more than a few years in my race prepped Corvette, so experience helps. While the Lotus driver was solo in the advanced group, I think I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, lol.

Here is his original link: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwi-TGx-Ilw&feature=related"]YouTube - Lotus Exige VIR Full 2:19.24[/nomedia]

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Right, John. I was just thinking of the soundtrack as I was watching it, and wishing YouTube should have some way of switching from one soundtrack to the other so I could tell who's tires it was I heard squealing (I think I know-LOL).

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Right, John. I was just thinking of the soundtrack as I was watching it, and wishing YouTube should have some way of switching from one soundtrack to the other so I could tell who's tires it was I heard squealing (I think I know-LOL).

Yeah, I wonder who that was??? LOL :D

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
Very nice Mike, I am surprised how close you two were everywhere ... I was assuming that he will be faster than you in quick transition turns... Cool man!!

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
Very nice Mike, I am surprised how close you two were everywhere ... I was assuming that he will be faster than you in quick transition turns... Cool man!!

Hector, Thanks! I think I've got the suspension, alignment and brakes dialed in - very predictable. I can throw the car around just about as well as my Corvette - not bad for a relatively low powered daily driver. I'm looking at the Edelbrock E-Force S/C in the future, watch out Corvettes. lol... Mike

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Small thing. Put your visor down. You will get used to it only after you put it down and keep it there. There are real reasons why you should use that visor.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJqQiXxlAI"]YouTube - Mike Skeen: Ford Mustang FR500C at VIR[/nomedia]

oh and here are some 2:08's in an FR500C. 360whp

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Well done, very smooth. But I just want to know how the Lotus driver passes tech with having that distraction attached to his windshield. What a dumbass. Those things are hard enough to see out of especially with the ridiculously large rearview mirrors they come with (which his still has).

you have not seen some of the big rear mirrors some have in their race cars, have you?

the mounted lap timer is also not in his way. for him its probably easier to see there than if he mounted it on the dash and had to look down. the only place i can put mine is on the dash behind the steering wheel. i really dont like it there.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
...and 500 lbs less weight. :beer:

two people and in the car in that video. anyway....mine is a race car, your's not. the driver there won the world challenge gt race at mid ohio as a fill in driver in his first event. he's outstanding at vir.

i just posted that so that you could see his line in a similar car.

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
hehe... yeah, not quite of similar car and not quite similar driver (don't take it wrong Mike :) ) . One day at VIR I just happened to be behind Danny Popp .. and let me tell you, the car wasn't straight at any point... damn guy was rotating the car and sliding everywhere, if I try that I would be off course in 20 secs LOL

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
hehe... yeah, not quite of similar car and not quite similar driver (don't take it wrong Mike :) ) . One day at VIR I just happened to be behind Danny Popp .. and let me tell you, the car wasn't straight at any point... damn guy was rotating the car and sliding everywhere, if I try that I would be off course in 20 secs LOL

If anyone deserves a professional race car driver career, its Danny Popp - he's amazing. I wish I had such car control skills - always learning. Are you coming out to the 3 day event at VIR in May with the SVT Cobra Mustang Club?? I'll be there with the "other" gray car. Mike

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
Yup :)

So far:

26-27 March VIR - NASA
9-10 April Summit - NASA
27-29 May VIR - Cobra Club
18-19 June Summit - NASA
20-21 Aug. Summit - NASA
8-9 Oct VIR - NASA
5-6 Nov. Summit - NASA

Of course, if the drama queen of my car cooperates :)

Users who are viewing this thread