3000gt clutch issues

928gtp

Established Member
Ok, my buddy's 91 3000gt stopped going into gear for him and we decided to drop the transmisison and replace the clutch. When we took the tranny down and looked at his old clutch, the springs in it had popped out and the release bearing wasnt spinning anymore. We replaced the clutch, release bearing, flywheel, and pressure plate. We got everything back up and together. We then drained the clutch slave cylinder and put new fluid in it (accidently drained all the fluid out instead of just checking for air). I think we got all the air out but i might be wrong. Anyways, when we got everything together, the clutch feels like it has no pressure. It comes all the way back up (barely) but it feels really light. We thought maybe thats just how it is but when we started the car, it doesnt feel like the clutch is engaging because we can't get it into gear...(we only tried twice, then turned her off)..I should mention that we forgot to put the grease back into the clutch fork ( wasnt used to doing this and forgot about it..Never used grease on one before) would this keep the clutch from engaging at all? I would think that it should still be able to. If not is there a way to grease it without dropping everything? Or do yall think that its the clutch slave or master cylinder still having bubbles or being bad? Should i try to adjust the clutch pedal or should this not have any affect on it not grabbing at all... I also posted this on 3si.org but have had no responses yet...Thanks all help is greatly appreciated.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'd try to bleed it some more and see if you still have air. Is the pedal sticking while down?

928gtp

Established Member
No, the pedal isnt sticking when down, but it is extremely light and takes its time coming up.. I never drove it before but my saturns clutch is heavier right now...lol .. It also isnt engaging to put it into gear when the car is on...I havent tried "smashing" the clutch to the ground and shifting yet though to see if there was any play at the very end of the pedal but id still have a problem even then..lol

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If it will not go into gear, most likely what is happening is the clutch is not DIS-engaging.

The input shaft never stops spinning when you push in the clutch, so it won't go into gear.

Air can cause this.

Jack the car up.
Have your buddy in the car.
You get under(with jack stands) and look at the clutch fork for movement.
In neutral have your buddy push the clutch pedal down.

If the fork does not move nearly the same amount as the rod into the clutch master cylinder, then you need to keep bleeding, because you still have air in the system.

Last edited:

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Make sure there is no air in the hydraulic system. Check to make sure the slave cylinder is giving full throw to the fork. Make sure you installed the throwout bearing correctly and not backwards. The clutch isn't dis-engaging if you can't get it into gear, so odds are your problem is hydraulic or clearance related. I've seen throwout bearings installed incorrectly and didn't provide enough push on the clutch fingers to release the clutch. Good luck.

928gtp

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys. i will check into this and keep yall updated. I still havent recieved one response on the 3si.org forum...lol...thats what i get for signing up on another forum

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
POST #1
I also posted this on 3si.org but have had no responses yet...Thanks all help is greatly appreciated.

POST#10
Thanks for all the help guys. i will check into this and keep yall updated. I still havent recieved one response on the 3si.org forum...lol...thats what i get for signing up on another forum

POST#11
Register on 3si.org
:dw:

LOL!:lol::rockon:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
do a search on 3si.

it, much like many other forums, is littered with numerous threads of people with the same issues.

928gtp

Established Member
i did a search and looked through 10 pages, then decided just to post because the pedal wasnt stuck to the floor but i think it most likely still has some air..Im going to check tonight and update this thread on whether it fixes it or not...if the wife doesnt complain too much that is...lol..otherwise ill be doing it tomorrow during the day since im off.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Probably won't get much help on 3si. Pretty dead forums years ago when I had my pile of crap VR-4. Had it 6 months, it ran for about 2 of those. Junk.

928gtp

Established Member
lol...I can see that it isnt much help there...I had a dodge stealth as my first car and it never had any problems. The timing belt even broke on it and it still ran fine..lol...My buddy really likes his car (he bought it new) and im just helping him fix it..Not the kind of car im intersted in anymore but he likes it..

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
lol...I can see that it isnt much help there...I had a dodge stealth as my first car and it never had any problems. The timing belt even broke on it and it still ran fine..lol...My buddy really likes his car (he bought it new) and im just helping him fix it..Not the kind of car im intersted in anymore but he likes it..

I've been a member on there since 01, owned a few VR4s in the past. Haven't gone there in awhile but the members were usually really helpful, try posting in the local sections.

Sent using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread