$3 JLT hot air to JLT cold air mod

4VFTW

Established Member
Any chance you recall what size you picked up? I got what I thought was some durable reflective tape that showed similar favorable results but the adhesive was not strong enough to last 2 months of heat.

I used 1/2 " and 1" pre-slit non-adhesive foam tubing and put the 1" over the 1/2" where it seals against the hood and over the intake tube. Then stuffed the gaps at the bottom of the JLT partition with the 1/2" foam.

4VFTW

Established Member
Is 110 considred a good measuring stick for temperature on a 95 degree day?
an uninsulated JLT will hit 140's in very short order on a 93deg day. Here is a video I shot today...clip starts with me pulling away from a full red light after the engine just reached normal op temp then a short cruise to a parking spot for idle with a/c on , just to give an idea of how slow the temps go up for comparison purposes.
th_VIDEO0031_zps43744ae5.jpg

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Its important to note this will help naturally aspirated cars, it has no effect on supercharged cars!

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I just went with the K&N intake that retains the sealed box like the stock airbox. IATs are within 1-2° while driving, but IDK about sitting still in traffic. I'll have to datalog and see how those are. I can't imagine they'd be worse than stock.

Also, if the intake is now supposedly sucking air through the front vent holes, that air is still a nice, warm 93°, not really "cool" in my book...

Are you talking about the K&n 63-2578?

65sohc

Established Member
You inspired me to experiment with my Steeda Boss CAI. With the supplied weatherstripping IAT eventually stabilizes close to ambient once underway but at idle it definitely rises faster than with the stock intake. I tried to check for gaps using modeling clay between the heat shield and the hood but the results were inconclusive. When I saw that 6 feet of this insulation costs 97 cents I grabbed some. It took about 90 seconds to "install" and the end result was pretty much the same as yours. Great idea.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Lol. this thread is funny.

Intakes on these cars are for looks, not for performance.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yes, but the colder the air coming in the better right?

Once you throw the intercooler into the mix a few degrees cooler coming into tthe intake wont make any difference. Have you seen how big the Paxton/Vortech intercooler is? Our air will always be cooler then a naturally aspirated car's air!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
so your assertion is that 130deg IAT's are just as good as 95deg IAT's from a performance standpoint?

that's with the jlt. the stock air intake has lower iat than a jlt. on idle and slow speeds anyways. i would assume that at high speeds they are pretty even.

4VFTW

Established Member
You inspired me to experiment with my Steeda Boss CAI. With the supplied weatherstripping IAT eventually stabilizes close to ambient once underway but at idle it definitely rises faster than with the stock intake. I tried to check for gaps using modeling clay between the heat shield and the hood but the results were inconclusive. When I saw that 6 feet of this insulation costs 97 cents I grabbed some. It took about 90 seconds to "install" and the end result was pretty much the same as yours. Great idea.
the top of the box is not the only place that needs insulation... I have no experience with the Steeda box , but using a light around the sides and bottom of the JLT unit shows all sorts of places for the intake to pull air from right off the radiator and header.

Users who are viewing this thread