$3 JLT hot air to JLT cold air mod

4VFTW

Established Member
bought $3 worth of A/C line insulation and stuffed all seams and wrapped all edges and it seals very tight. I trimmed the insulation from around the heat extractor vents and you can feel the intake sucking cool air through the 2 front vent holes with the hood closed. 93deg ambient out in traffic today and the IAT's never got over 110 at a full red light. Temps also creep up very slow as opposed to the rapid skyrocketing temps of the normal JLT setup.
IMAG0378_zpsea8168d3.jpg

IMAG0379_zps2f291f9d.jpg

04compgt

Established Member
Looks like a good idea but either the pictures make it look bad or it just looks ugly lol. Dont take offense I get the functionality piece and you get an A+ for that.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I just went with the K&N intake that retains the sealed box like the stock airbox. IATs are within 1-2° while driving, but IDK about sitting still in traffic. I'll have to datalog and see how those are. I can't imagine they'd be worse than stock.

Also, if the intake is now supposedly sucking air through the front vent holes, that air is still a nice, warm 93°, not really "cool" in my book...

4VFTW

Established Member
Looks like a good idea but either the pictures make it look bad or it just looks ugly lol. Dont take offense I get the functionality piece and you get an A+ for that.
no offense taken , wasn't going for looks...just trying to solve an issue and in that I was successful
I just went with the K&N intake that retains the sealed box like the stock airbox. IATs are within 1-2° while driving, but IDK about sitting still in traffic. I'll have to datalog and see how those are. I can't imagine they'd be worse than stock.

Also, if the intake is now supposedly sucking air through the front vent holes, that air is still a nice, warm 93°, not really "cool" in my book...
It's 93deg outside where would any "cold air" intake possibly get colder air from? The problem with the JLT is they suck under hood air unmodified and it gets silly hot very quickly unless the car is moving.

Last edited:

Mxfrench

Established Member
no offense taken , wasn't going for looks...just trying to solve an issue and in that I was successful

It's 93deg outside where would any "cold air" intake possibly get colder air from?
From Canada perhaps ;-)

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
bought $3 worth of A/C line insulation and stuffed all seams and wrapped all edges and it seals very tight. I trimmed the insulation from around the heat extractor vents and you can feel the intake sucking cool air through the 2 front vent holes with the hood closed. 93deg ambient out in traffic today and the IAT's never got over 110 at a full red light. Temps also creep up very slow as opposed to the rapid skyrocketing temps of the normal JLT setup.
IMAG0378_zpsea8168d3.jpg

IMAG0379_zps2f291f9d.jpg

I like it. Good job.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
It's 93deg outside where would any "cold air" intake possibly get colder air from? The problem with the JLT is they suck under hood air unmodified and it gets silly hot very quickly unless the car is moving.
Another reason I want to look for a closed box design that mimiced the stock airbox but a better flowing intake tube.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
So the original seal doesn't seal against the hood on the 13's huh. i think there's a better seal on the 11's and 12's, the under hood shape is different. I sold a guy a steeda cai and he had to do the same thing you did to get it to seal. I on my 12 never had that issue!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
So the original seal doesn't seal against the hood on the 13's huh. i think there's a better seal on the 11's and 12's, the under hood shape is different. I sold a guy a steeda cai and he had to do the same thing you did to get it to seal. I on my 12 never had that issue!

Yeah I was gonna say, must be a 13' hood problem haha. My JLT seals nice and tight to my 11' hood.

as for functionality it looks good, and looks easily removable if you were to take the car to a car show. +1 for that!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yeah I was gonna say, must be a 13' hood problem haha. My JLT seals nice and tight to my 11' hood.

as for functionality it looks good, and looks easily removable if you were to take the car to a car show. +1 for that!

You sure that it seals completely to your hood?

Ive seen on mine that the JLT shield only touchs some of the hood.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
You sure that it seals completely to your hood?

Ive seen on mine that the JLT shield only touchs some of the hood.

Definitely seems too by best I can see how it sits etc. What I'll have to do is plug my ODBII card into my car and measure my intake temp with the torque app.

bmyles

Established Member
I have the jlt on my car, it's the big air kit but its still relevant I guess. I put my phone under the hood and took some videos with the hood shutting on the housing and only parts of it sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread