$3 JLT hot air to JLT cold air mod

4VFTW

Established Member
that's with the jlt. the stock air intake has lower iat than a jlt. on idle and slow speeds anyways. i would assume that at high speeds they are pretty even.
absolutely ,but this thread is about the JLT intake. I could swap my stock intake back on but I chose to improve the JLT so IAT difference becomes a non factor.

sean04

Established Member
Once you throw the intercooler into the mix a few degrees cooler coming into tthe intake wont make any difference. Have you seen how big the Paxton/Vortech intercooler is? Our air will always be cooler then a naturally aspirated car's air!

WOW, you better recheck your info. FI cars are WAY more sensitive to heat than NA cars.

And a blown car with an air to air cooler wil NEVER be cooler than ambient which is what an NA car is taking in

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
WOW, you better recheck your info. FI cars are WAY more sensitive to heat than NA cars.

And a blown car with an air to air cooler wil NEVER be cooler than ambient which is what an NA car is taking in

yes and no. fi cars are sensitive to heat but ambient temperature... the cooler it is the cooler the inter-cooler/heat exchanger is so you get a denser cooler intake air charge.. the intake air temperature before the compressor is not really a concern.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

Its not about sensativity, the difference is, naturally aspirated cars inhale ambient temperature air thats it. on a s/c car ambient temp air is inhaled compressed sent to an intercooler / heat exchanger them comes out a denser cooler air charge which is digested by the engine...you can bet f/i air is cooler because its processed.

We all know that a naturally aspirated car in cold weather may gain 7-10hp from colder air temps. And a s/c car can gain 20-30 more hp from cold air temps that's not due to sensativity its the air being processed for power!

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Its not about sensativity, the difference is, naturally aspirated cars inhale ambient temperature air thats it. on a s/c car ambient temp air is inhaled compressed sent to an intercooler / heat exchanger them comes out a denser cooler air charge which is digested by the engine...you can bet f/i air is cooler because its processed.

We all know that a naturally aspirated car in cold weather my gain 7-10hp from colder air temps. And a s/c car can gain 20-30 more hp from cold air temps that's not due to sensativity its the air being processed for power!

umm black beast you dont fully understand force induction. the intake air temps of force induction cars are higher than the air that a n/a car is sucking thru the intake especially a cold air intake. on a f/i engine when ever it starts to make boost the intake air temps will go up very very fast. faster than the intercooler can bring them back down to ambient temperature. anyways we have completely derailed this thread. :beer:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
No it is i who as derailed this thread......lol what I've learned is that hot air is the enemy to both n/a and f/i cars!

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
It is physically impossible for a forced induction car to have IATs lower than ambient without the aid of an ice box or other means to cool the charge. An A2A or even A2W intercooler alone will not get the job done. An A2W intercooler with an icebox is about your only option.

On the other hand, a naturally aspirated car can have intake air temps right at ambient assuming the filter is not sitting in a heat soaked engine bay.

sean04

Established Member
yes and no. fi cars are sensitive to heat but ambient temperature... the cooler it is the cooler the inter-cooler/heat exchanger is so you get a denser cooler intake air charge.. the intake air temperature before the compressor is not really a concern.

The intake ait's before the compressor is definitely a concern if you want to make power.

So your saying that a noninterecooled sc car will make the same power wether it is 110 out or 50 out????

The better the air going into the motor the more power its going to make PERIOD.

And the reason I said a FI car is way more sensitive to heat changes is not only is the air going into the engine warmer to begin with but the ic system is less effecient when it is hot out.

sean04

Established Member
It is physically impossible for a forced induction car to have IATs lower than ambient without the aid of an ice box or other means to cool the charge. An A2A or even A2W intercooler alone will not get the job done. An A2W intercooler with an icebox is about your only option.

On the other hand, a naturally aspirated car can have intake air temps right at ambient assuming the filter is not sitting in a heat soaked engine bay.

exactly:rockon:

ForceofWill

Established Member
This is what I saw today in traffic.

twAB5Dx.jpg

So I just bought the stuff today and did this mod to my JLT. I cut mine in sections instead of one long piece but it should do the trick. The hood for the car had to be forced down a little so I'm hoping it seals up nice.

Users who are viewing this thread