3 inch catback

stangfreak

Established Member
was also thinking of getting rid of my mac catback and going with magnaflows since its a straight through muffler. Not sure if that will make a difference. Any opinions would be appreciate guys.

Rambro

Established Member

Here’s an 800 rwhp cobra with a flowmaster cat back. At the end they unbolt the cat back and dyno it with an open x pipe. It only gained 5 hp and 7 torques. They’re not really choking up the exhaust. Also, my buddy’s 2.9 whipple cobra went bottom 10’s at 140 with flowmasters. I’d run what you like sound wise.

stangfreak

Established Member

Here’s an 800 rwhp cobra with a flowmaster cat back. At the end they unbolt the cat back and dyno it with an open x pipe. It only gained 5 hp and 7 torques. They’re not really choking up the exhaust. Also, my buddy’s 2.9 whipple cobra went bottom 10’s at 140 with flowmasters. I’d run what you like sound wise.
Yes that is what I was expecting. Its funny you mentioned the flowmasters. Back in the day when snakebite was sold, the car had a 3.4 whipple built motor and a custom 3 inch exhaust. I forgot who did the custom exhaust. But it was big boy stuff.

Not sure if you remember venomous03cobra. He is a very good friend of mine. One of the best drivers I have ever seen. John also built his motor from the same place, had a 2.8H kenne bell with off the shelf exhaust. Nothing like snakebite. Just regular exhaust. I dont even think he had 1 7/8 long tubes. Nothing was 3 inches. If I remember correctly. Both cars made the same power. Granted, the new snakebite had a 3.4 whipple but NON CRUSHER.

when venomous had the stock motor and again just a simple exhaust setup, he ran 10.32 at 134 with a ported eaton and a 60 dry shot.

I just wanted to see if any of you had different experiences.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes that is what I was expecting. Its funny you mentioned the flowmasters. Back in the day when snakebite was sold, the car had a 3.4 whipple built motor and a custom 3 inch exhaust. I forgot who did the custom exhaust. But it was big boy stuff.

Not sure if you remember venomous03cobra. He is a very good friend of mine. One of the best drivers I have ever seen. John also built his motor from the same place, had a 2.8H kenne bell with off the shelf exhaust. Nothing like snakebite. Just regular exhaust. I dont even think he had 1 7/8 long tubes. Nothing was 3 inches. If I remember correctly. Both cars made the same power. Granted, the new snakebite had a 3.4 whipple but NON CRUSHER.

when venomous had the stock motor and again just a simple exhaust setup, he ran 10.32 at 134 with a ported eaton and a 60 dry shot.

I just wanted to see if any of you had different experiences.

When I was ordering my ARH midpipe, they told me they didn’t see any significant restriction or power gain on 2 1/2 vs 3” until some ridiculous number.

Any time a company tells me not to bother with a more expensive part, I believe them

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

stangfreak

Established Member
When I was ordering my ARH midpipe, they told me they didn’t see any significant restriction or power gain on 2 1/2 vs 3” until some ridiculous number.

Any time a company tells me not to bother with a more expensive part, I believe them

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
nick told me the same thing. Thats why I didnt bother getting a 3 inch exhaust.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I’ve ran 2.5” magnaflow catback at 900whp turbo with no issues on a 5.4 no less. I think an sc 4.6-5.0 with a 3.0 whipple will be ok at 900-1000whp without much if any restriction. The big key will be muffler design and where the x is, high flow or no cat etc. If it makes great healthy power on a 2.5” setup stick with it because ground clearance sucks with a 3” catpipe. I think you have to get something oval bent or it’ll just have to sit higher/ruin the stance like I have had to come to terms with.

Now I did 3” resonators and straight piped… But I’m on a bigger pair of turbo’s setup with 1/5/8-3” headers, 3” x pipe. On 20-30psi it jumps above 1100-1200whp so I have the 3” side for that but if I was running just pump gas or booster, 10-12psi, the 2.5” should have been fine.

I recommend at least a great resonator for any test pipe setups, it softened the car by 50% volume but cleaned it up by 200%. I didn’t want a resonator and run header back castles for a week, but it was raspy and pitchy. Put the 3” bullet resonators in and it’s like almost perfect to me now.

Turbo/sc play totally different but you gotta realize a turbo car hates exhaust restriction where an sc car just pushes that crap out regardless

Open header, dumped under the car vs through the resonators and tailpipes, I pick up less than 25whp turbo and all with high boost.

Run what sounds great, you can’t feel 5-25whp at 800whp or higher. The car will vary 50whp just with weather and engine temp conditions at that power level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread