3 inch catback

stangfreak

Established Member
Just wanted to see what you guys are running for a 3 inch catback and which one would be best. I need to put bigger long tubes on the car, and go 3 inch all the way. weird dyno day today with my 3.0 whipple.

DCguy

Established Member
Bassani is like the only 3in i know of....think also Magnaflow made one?

I'd take it to a good exhaust shop and have them custom one for you. With how expensive catbacks have gotten with inflation pricing, honestly a custom job might even come out less.

stangfreak

Established Member
I personally know nick from american racing headers. He just moved though. He was on long island. Literally half hour away from me. But they moved down south.

Basically I have mac 1 5/8 long tubes, prochamber and mac catback. 2.5 inch. I did the 3.0 whipple. Now that I am moving more air, I was like, maybe my exhaust setup is restricting it from making the power it should. wanted to see if anyone had any experience upgrading to a larger setup helped them out.

Rambro

Established Member
I always remembered the collectors on the old Mac headers were kind of small compared to a kooks or arh. You don’t need a 3 inch cat back. People have gone very fast on a 2.5 inch cat back. 3 inch will probably sound better tho?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

I'd take it to a good exhaust shop and have them custom one for you. With how expensive catbacks have gotten with inflation pricing, honestly a custom job might even come out less.

Yeah you ain’t kidding. The Bassani is now several hundred more than what I paid a few years ago.

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
You will see gains with an upgrade to 1 7/8 primaries on ARH headers and a matching 3'' x. I had macs before with a 2.5 x before and the collectors on them are a massive restriction.

wckdvnm

Established Member

Magnaflow only has the 2.5 inch. At this point in our cars age we have mainly only custom to get any 3 inch exhaust worth a damn. However getting a setup that will use a one piece rear section will start to become a point of contention for most.

stangfreak

Established Member
whats up guys. Dont post much but wanted to give you an update. Going to keep the 2.5 catback. will not make a difference going to a 3 inch catback unless we are going to make over 1000rwhp and want to squeeze every bit out of the car. I ordered the 1 7/8 long tubes with x pipe from ARH. Get this. we ordered this in the summer and I still have no ETA. Its march lol. Going on 8 months. No headers. crazy times we live in.

But should be interesting if I see any gains. was told I should pick up power throughout the whole power band. Not loose any tq down low. Hopefully I loose some boost pressure. I want to throw back my lower pulley. since we removed my 4lb lower, the car lost tq. I am seeing 23lbs at the very top of the pull. stock size lower. I have to see what upper is on the car bc we were swapping pullies like crazy with the 3.0 to bring the boost down. at one point we saw 27lbs and it wasnt even a full pull. If the boost drops with these long tubes I am throwing on at least a 2lb lower. spin the blower up a bit quicker should make more tq.

And for the FK of it, I am also talking to todd about custom cams for my car. should be interesting

Last edited:

vr4

Established Member
whats up guys. Dont post much but wanted to give you an update. Going to keep the 2.5 catback. will not make a difference going to a 3 inch catback unless we are going to make over 1000rwhp and want to squeeze every bit out of the car. I ordered the 1 7/8 long tubes with x pipe from ARH. Get this. we ordered this in the summer and I still have no ETA. Its march lol. Going on 8 months. No headers. crazy times we live in.

But should be interesting if I see any gains. was told I should pick up power throughout the whole power band. Not loose any tq down low. Hopefully I loose some boost pressure. I want to throw back my lower pulley. since we removed my 4lb lower, the car lost tq. I am seeing 23lbs at the very top of the pull. stock size lower. I have to see what upper is on the car bc we were swapping pullies like crazy with the 3.0 to bring the boost down. at one point we saw 27lbs and it wasnt even a full pull. If the boost drops with these long tubes I am throwing on at least a 2lb lower. spin the blower up a bit quicker should make more tq.

And for the FK of it, I am also talking to todd about custom cams for my car. should be interesting
i ordered mine in june of 22. they shipped 4 months later almost to the day. i feel for you. that 4 month wait was tough even though the car was just sititng.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member

Can you let me know what size upper you have to make 23lbs with a stock lower?

stangfreak

Established Member
Can you let me know what size upper you have to make 23lbs with a stock lower?

Not a problem. I have a 3.375 grip tec pulley. Im seeing 23lbs at the very top. My car does need a lower pulley. even if I dont drop boost im still throwing a 2lber on there with the 3.0 whipple. Id love to throw back my 4lb but 27 lbs is ehhh. on a stock motor. The 3L needs to be spun. My 2.9 was more responsive when driving around town. Lower rpms.

stangfreak

Established Member
i ordered mine in june of 22. they shipped 4 months later almost to the day. i feel for you. that 4 month wait was tough even though the car was just sititng.
yea its crazy. 8 months and I cant even get an ETA. Our goal was trying to install and dyno the car with the cool weather. Bc when we did the 3L whipple, it was BOILING outside. so we wanted to tune the car with the bigger headers in a little cooler weather. Guess that wont happen haha. so while I am waiting todd warren and I are going back and fourth on cam ideas.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
Nicks a cool dude. His son is a good guy. I met them through my job. Just wish I didnt have to wait 8 months and counting. It might even be a year who knows. I will wait a few more months. If nothing happens I will cancel. There is another shop that opened up that does custom exhaust. so I have another option. Or just by kooks. My engine builder who is a friend of mine that I have known for over 20 years just prefers ARH though.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Not a problem. I have a 3.375 grip tec pulley. Im seeing 23lbs at the very top. My car does need a lower pulley. even if I dont drop boost im still throwing a 2lber on there with the 3.0 whipple. Id love to throw back my 4lb but 27 lbs is ehhh. on a stock motor. The 3L needs to be spun. My 2.9 was more responsive when driving around town. Lower rpms.
Sweet, thanks. I’m shooting for 25-26lbs with a 3.125 upper and stock lower with 1 7/8” longtubes

MG0h3

Established Member

Just remember, your boost pressure is what’s in the intake.

Increasing exhaust flow can reduce boost pressure, but not cylinder pressure.

You have head studs?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

stangfreak

Established Member
Just remember, your boost pressure is what’s in the intake.

Increasing exhaust flow can reduce boost pressure, but not cylinder pressure.

You have head studs?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
yea I thought about that as well. Thats why I might do my cams and headers at the same time since its been 8 months. You are 100% correct

Users who are viewing this thread