3:90's or 3:73's

04HRW

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!
Established Member
Guys, I have 4:10's but don't really like them. Only planning on going to the track every now and then.Seems to low for the street and deceleration on down shifts is harsh. Should I switch to 3:90's or 3:73's. Has anyone ran 3:90's on a KB termi out there?:??:

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I have 3.90's and a 2.2L KB.

The 3.90 is great IMO for everything except highway driving. I actually
hate driving the car on the highway now. The rpm is too high. In retrospect,
I would've gone with a 3.73 since most of my driving is on the street.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Yeah but I have heard that 3.73's are not worth it because there is not enough of a difference from the 3.55's

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
3.73's for street cars with less than 550 rwhp/tq. For anything over that I would just stick with the stock gears. Now for those running slicks at the track, a 3.90 or a 4.10 may be the way to go when you are making big power.

This is just my opinion.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
BIGV said:
Yeah but I have heard that 3.73's are not worth it because there is not enough of a difference from the 3.55's

I agree completely with you on this. But there are some people that just have to do gears. I am still running the stock gears, and it is perfect for the street, and for an occasional trip to the track.

-Jeff

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I agree completely with you on this. But there are some people that just have to do gears. I am still running the stock gears, and it is perfect for the street, and for an occasional trip to the track.

-Jeff

I agree with that. Stock gears are perfectly fine. Plenty of guys
are running deep 10's with them. It's a nice street, track, and
highway gear.

In my case, I bought a built solid axle so I figured I might as well
do a gear so I could save money by not having to do it in the future.
Good choice for the track & for the street...just not so much on the
highway.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
unit213 said:
I have 3.90's and a 2.2L KB.

The 3.90 is great IMO for everything except highway driving. I actually
hate driving the car on the highway now. The rpm is too high. In retrospect,
I would've gone with a 3.73 since most of my driving is on the street.

+1 I had the 3.90's and switched them out for the 3.73's. Got the nice highway driving/cruising back (I couldn't live without it). With my 28" slicks the 3.73's are working fine for the track & actually works well when I have to run the 26" DR's - right at 6,500 going through the traps in 4th...

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
HISSMAN said:
there are some people that just have to do gears. I am still running the stock gears, and it is perfect for the street, and for an occasional trip to the track.
Ain't it the truth.

I only changed to a 3.73 because I had to replace my diff case, so I thought why not? The stock gears are just fine with these cars making so much torque. Anyway to answer your question if you think 4.10s are too low then I recommend the 3.73. It's a nice gear that doesn't rev too much on the freeway and gives just a bit more zip than the stockers.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Right now I couldn't even imagine going with to a 3.73 or a 3.90. The car is already a spin fest with the 3.55's. Granted though, I am still on the factory F1's but still.

I had 3.73's in my 94 GT but I know that is nowhere near the same. . . . . it was great fun though. :burnout:

04HRW

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!
Established Member
I think I'm going to swap out the 4:10's for 3:73's. Thanks homies!:pepper: you guys are the shizz-nit!:)

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Snagged said:
The car is already a spin fest with the 3.55's.
Rear susp mods will help solve this. On a warm day I can hold traction in the top of 1st gear with no drag radials and 3.73s!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
svtnos1011 said:
i drive mine with 390s on the highway monday-friday and have no complaints:shrug:

What rpm are you turning at 80mph and what is your exhaust setup?

I don't know about you, but driving a 600+rwhp car for an hour at 3,000rpm
is extremely annoying. It's pretty damned loud.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
HISSMAN said:
3.73's for street cars with less than 550 rwhp/tq. For anything over that I would just stick with the stock gears. Now for those running slicks at the track, a 3.90 or a 4.10 may be the way to go when you are making big power.

This is just my opinion.
This is consistent with what I've read over the past couple of years. By far I've seen/heard of 3.73s being the gear upgrade of choice. Probably because the vast majority of Terminators are making less than 550rwhp. JMO.

Also consider that gas prices continue to rise.

Users who are viewing this thread