3.8L Ford T-bird Tranny Issue

SLO_NEON

Uncle Ben's Rice
Established Member
Open to some suggestions and insight:
Car:
1993 Ford Thunderbird, 3.8L V6 with 4spd automatic transmission (not sure if it's the AODE or the 4R70W *which I think came out in 1995??*).
Problem:
Car has lost Overdrive gear, all other gears seem to work fine. When car shifts into OD, engine rev's and not transmitted through to the rear wheels. I have read a possible cause is the main control (http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#)

I'm open to suggestions on which trans this car could have (or on how to read the VIN to find which trans it is)... also, any ideas on what may be causing this... and finally, where the heck is this magical main control? thanks!

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Sounds like overdrive band failure to me. Pretty common on that trans. I have seen quite a few at my shop. -Mat-

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
Sounds like a problem w/ the band to me as well. Or extremely low pressure.

If you're going to go through the trouble of even doing a "band slap", I would go through the whole thing. You will find plenty more wrong and there are many updates that should be done as well.

SLO_NEON

Uncle Ben's Rice
Established Member
well, the car isn't worth much... a tranny rebuild would cost more than the car ;-) I mean, the car only has 190k on the odometer - - hahaha

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There is a very good probability that the----> bushing<--- where the trans throttle control cable attaches to the throttle linkage(@ the throttle body)...

IS GONE!!! They get brittle and crack(plastic) and fall out!!! This allows almost a 1/4" of play in the linkage!

It will wipe out the overdrive... Which will also metal up the insides and take out the rest...

The new improved bushing kit(bronze) is part # F3SZ-7H303-B .

Make sure you replace that when you rebuild/replace the trans!!!

:beer:

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
The bushing on the TV cable failure is an issue on the older non-electonic AOD units. Very common problem and a lot of people probably have gotten/get forced into tranny rebuilds for a simple $1.00 bushing. A lot of shady shops out there. -Mat-

SLO_NEON

Uncle Ben's Rice
Established Member
Is it the AODE or the std. AOD? I was reading that the 4R70W was used after 1995 (or 1994)... point being, not in 1993. With the trans still in the car, is there a way to tell the difference. I suppose the AODE would have more electrical connections and such for the solenoids??

I did read a trick to determine if the OD band was toast or not was to drive the car up to about 50mph and drop the thing manually into 1st (since the PRNDL goes from OD -> D -> 1)... if the car engine brakes and rev's, the OD band is still good... if the car drops rev's and acts as if it's in neutral, the band is fried. Not sure if that works... but when I tried it, the car engine braked and the rev's held... any ideas on that??

Last edited:

DOHC Holliday

robot clean
Established Member
The AOD was no longer availiable in the Thunderbird after 1992(there may have been a handful of carryovers, but I'm not sure, and don't really care). The Thunderbird used the Electronic 4-speed from 1993-1997, w/ 1995 being the crossover year for the AODE - 4R70W.

Edit-The OD band is not applied in manual 1. It has nothing to do w/ engine braking in 1st. That test would determine a failure w/ the rear band/band servo piston.

Last edited:

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
89-93 MN12 chassis cars (thunderbirds and cougars) came with an AOD transmision. the 94-97 MN12's had the 4r70w. the AODE was never used in the mn12 chassis. for further info check out www.tccoa.com. i'm still a member over there and have owned 3 mn12 thunderbirds.

Frank

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
The AODE was used in those cars from 93-mid 95. I have a 94 Cougar at my TRANSMISSION shop as we speak with an AODE in it. -Mat-

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Not that our cataloging is all that reliable...
But my CPD says AOD...(non electronic)...
Lincoln Mercury dealer parts department :shrug:

Get the bushing kit... :beer:
i agree. just get the bushing kit. i am 100% positive that the mn12s had the aod in 93

Users who are viewing this thread