3.55's or 3.73's? How would you order yours?

mtflyboy25

Currently a Ricer :(
Established Member
Out of those two I would say 3.55's. 1st and 2nd already wrap out quick with 3.31's, I wouldn't want it any shorter personally.

Hahaa... It is easy.... When i am driving regular I just got 1 3 5 6...
My bud watched me do it and started laughing asking if I did that a lot and I told him yes. He said he didnt even notice the car bog, and I told him it is cuz it didnt at all... lol

5.0jake

Established Member
I've got the 3.55 and IMO it is the best gearing with everything considered. Between a 3.31 and the 3.55 or a 3.55 to 3.73 you wont be able to SOTP notice, just like you can't tell 10hp on a 400hp car. If you went from 3.31 to 3.73 you might barely feel the difference. Obviously there will be a difference in acceleration between them but it isn't night and day like some describe it.

If you don't care about mileage and you just race from a dig, the 3.73s are for you, if you roll race the 3.55 is probably a better choice, if you want mileage well that's obviously the 3.31.
I disagree.:nonono:
Ive experienced 3.31's and 3.73's each for many months and the difference in how it feels is huge. 1st-3rd pull much more with the 3.73's. Maybe not "night and day" but very noticeable and much more fun imo.
Never drove the 3.55's but I could see that being a happy medium I guess.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
I ordered 3.73's. DD, weekend warrior, and max fun in mind. The difference between 3.31's and 3.73 was quite noticeable and the 3.73's feel perfect IMO

wbt

Banned
NEVER FEAR THE GEAR!!!!!

3.73 is a great gear for this car and support installing the Boss intake. I am getting ready to move to a 3.90.

I average 24 on the HWY and around 18 in town however I am not very easy on the car. I am sure it would do better with a lighter foot.

It will ultimately boil down to what you plan to do with the car. 3.55 will make more sense if going F/I. N/A, 3.73 or 3.90 is the best bet.

JB2012

Established Member
Be careful comparing final gear ratios from older mustangs, since the MT82 has MUCH different gear ratios, with 5th being the 1:1. I chose the 3.55's for a lot of the reasons named above, but mostly because I couldn't decide, so I choose the middle! I've now got about 1000 miles on the car, and I couldn't be happier. 6th is good from about 45MPH+, as low as 40MPH if you don't care about accelerating, just cruising. That let's 6th be a nice drop in revs on the highway. Just my 2 cents.

jimmbbo

Have the 3.73s on a "from dealer stock" car... would have chosen the 3.55s for a mix of mileage and performance, but still get 27/19 with the 3.73s without babying the throttle, so can't complain...

It took a bit of getting used to, because red line RPM in 1st comes up REALLY quickly, and it pulls like a madman in 2nd and 3rd, and on the freeway passing is a no-shift no brainer - just push and go.

Overall, for a DD, I'd still prefer the 3.55s, but not enuf to swap diffs...

NemeCes

Established Member
I think 3.73's aren't bad at all especially since we have 6 gears. I cruise on the fwy at close to 80mph at 2k ish rpm. Very smooth and she feels really awake when i'm on that throttle.

SpacerX

Will be purchasing one of these cars very shortly, and it looks like I'll order one. Have driven the straight-up 3.31 GT car, and it's more than enough to get a great personal car.

I'm going to order 3.73 diff, however. I really was surprised at the lightness/low effort of the clutch, and I've always been quite nimble with the throttle, which feels VERY tractable, so I think the additional mechanical advantage would suit me fine and produce quite the spirited, galloping car. I've ALWAYS enjoyed rowing through the gears, so I think the 3.73 will be the best fit.

SpacerX

One additional note:
My informal research on this topic has yielded the sense that it really is more a personal preference; that MPG will vary more with driving style and conditions, rather than diff gearing; and that, for whatever reason(s), the folks bothering to post about whether or not they've modded the diff, have reported more changes from 3.31 to 3.55/3.73/4.10, vice the other way around.

Kimcobra

Established Member
Wife has 3:55s in hers and driving it to BG this weekend it got 25.2mpg on the 220 mile round trip. maybe it could have been better but she played around with some foxes on the way home..

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
I ordered a 2012 with 3.73..its not my DD but still is driven alot, i thought the RPMs would be much higher than they actually are. Honestly id go with the 3.73s it makes a huge difference down low compared to the 3.55s

BlackMamba3

Established Member
3.73's for daily driving and the occassional track time.

3.55's for forced induction and drag racing if you ever decide to.

Last edited:

jj6077

Established Member
I dont understand how people can get such awesome mileage. I have 3.31's and the only time I saw 26mpg was driving stricly 65 on the freeway. This past August, I went from Los Angeles to El Paso on the I-10, then from El Paso to Fort Smith, Arkansas and I got 25.2 mpg. Reset it and went from ft smith all the way back taking the I-40 to LA and got 25.4 mpg. Both trips were straight shots only stopping for gas. I think it was around 3400 miles altogether. 75mph being top speed.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I dont understand how people can get such awesome mileage. I have 3.31's and the only time I saw 26mpg was driving stricly 65 on the freeway. This past August, I went from Los Angeles to El Paso on the I-10, then from El Paso to Fort Smith, Arkansas and I got 25.2 mpg. Reset it and went from ft smith all the way back taking the I-40 to LA and got 25.4 mpg. Both trips were straight shots only stopping for gas. I think it was around 3400 miles altogether. 75mph being top speed.

Better performing oil. Better oil filter. Better tires. Cruising between 65-75mph. Obviously 6th gear for manuals. Better transmission fluid. Better rear end fluid. 93 octane gasoline. Royal Purple "Purple Ice" coolant.

Lots of things attribute to better fuel economy. These are a few ideas for you sir.

jj6077

Established Member
Better performing oil. Better oil filter. Better tires. Cruising between 65-75mph. Obviously 6th gear for manuals. Better transmission fluid. Better rear end fluid. 93 octane gasoline. Royal Purple "Purple Ice" coolant.

Lots of things attribute to better fuel economy. These are a few ideas for you sir.

have done all of that except coolant and only 91 where I come from. I have a manual 3.31 and Im not retarded enough to drive in 5th for a 26 hour drive.

SicShelby09

Banned
I had 3.73s and now 3.55s. I miss the 3.73 low end grunt so 4.10s are next. It was fun with the 3.73 gears, but I wanted more and now lets try the 4.10. Should be fun with a manual n/a car.

Users who are viewing this thread