3.55's or 3.73's? How would you order yours?

psucobra

Established Member
Going to be ordering my 2012 M6 in the next few days and can't really decide wether to go with 3.55's or 3.73's. I had a few fox bodys with 3.55 and liked them, always seemed like it needed a sixth gear though. Im not positive but I think my 04 Cobra came with 3.55 or something close to that. Those felt pretty good with the six speed. The one 2011 I test drove had 3.73s. I liked it because six gear was actually usable around town, just a little concerned about the highway mileage though. This will be my daily driver with about 45 mile round trip commute per day all highway. What do you guys think?

ViciousJay

Established Member
Are you DD or weekend warrior? plans of F/I?

3.31 - great for long trips and awesome mileage, even modded i see 32mpg highway and 19 on the street but to race from a roll you need 2nd gear starts to pull
3.55 - great for all around, seems to fit the best for F/I and just DD for mpg
3.73 - hold on to your shorts buddy if you N/A... awakens the car vastly

figure out your goals. what do you want to obtain from this car and then go from there

Last edited:

psucobra

Established Member
Its going to be my daily driver. No plans for FI in the near future. Going the bolt on route.

mtflyboy25

Currently a Ricer :(
Established Member
Are you DD or weekend warrior? plans of F/I?

3.31 - great for long trips and awesome mileage, even modded i see 32mpg highway and 19 on the street but to race from a roll you need 2nd gear starts to pull
3.55 - great for all around, seems to fit the best for F/I and just DD for mpg
3.73 - hold on to your shorts buddy if you N/A... awakens the car vastly

figure out your goals. what do you want to obtain from this car and then go from there

I had 3.31s... I got beat by my buddy with 3.55s all day long... Then I modded and we would trade off when he shifted but were dead even.. Then I swapped to FRPP 3.73s and I own him any where any time... He is a bone stock 2011 with 3.55s and brembos...
With a tune I still get 28 mpg highway easily..

5.0jake

Established Member
I had 3.31s... I got beat by my buddy with 3.55s all day long... Then I modded and we would trade off when he shifted but were dead even.. Then I swapped to FRPP 3.73s and I own him any where any time... He is a bone stock 2011 with 3.55s and brembos...
With a tune I still get 28 mpg highway easily..

Not surprised at this outcome. Would have been a great vid :bored:

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer:Had 3:55 in my 03 Cobra and loved them .Have a 2012 GT prem. on order and got the 3;55 with the 6 speed. Plenty of gear for a daily driver and a sometime weekend warrior.

lucasjm

Established Member
I have 3.73s in mine and I drive it 60 miles a day. I have 1500 miles on my stang and I average about 20mpg with a mix of spirited/highway/rush hour driving.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I have the 3.73.. the car i test drove before buying had 3.55s.. I still can get very good gas mileage but I have great acceleration and its a bunch more fun. IMO a base model with track pack and 3.73 is the way to go!

stang910

Established Member
I had 3.73's and grenaded that rear so I threw in a 3.55 rear I had laying around and I like the 3.55 gears better. I can't tell a difference performance wise and now my MPG stays in the 20+ range. Before with the 3.73's I was staying in the 17-18 range.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I've got the 3.55 and IMO it is the best gearing with everything considered. Between a 3.31 and the 3.55 or a 3.55 to 3.73 you wont be able to SOTP notice, just like you can't tell 10hp on a 400hp car. If you went from 3.31 to 3.73 you might barely feel the difference. Obviously there will be a difference in acceleration between them but it isn't night and day like some describe it.

If you don't care about mileage and you just race from a dig, the 3.73s are for you, if you roll race the 3.55 is probably a better choice, if you want mileage well that's obviously the 3.31.

fordrevhead

Established Member
I have 3.31's manual. If I would have ordered one I would have went 3.55's for a DD /weekend warrior with a standard. The 3.31's are actually great in first... I cant imagine the short amount of time that you are in first with 3.73's. Plus on the quarter a lot of people with 3.73's run out of fourth gear I hear. I can imagine the additional take off with 3.55's though. My Fox body had 3.73's but completely different trans. gearing. Anyway, I can do first second fifth on the onramp it's funny. My wife says why did you shift so little? I said I am already doing the speed limit so I just put it in fifth, then merged and hit sixth.

burnzilla

Established Member
I had 3.73's and grenaded that rear so I threw in a 3.55 rear I had laying around and I like the 3.55 gears better. I can't tell a difference performance wise and now my MPG stays in the 20+ range. Before with the 3.73's I was staying in the 17-18 range.
Sounds like that old one was dying when/as you drove it.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Out of those two I would say 3.55's. 1st and 2nd already wrap out quick with 3.31's, I wouldn't want it any shorter personally.

Users who are viewing this thread