(3.5" w/ 4# lower) Alternator pulley question?

Excessv

Established Member
Ok I'm finally doing my install this weekend:banana:
I'm installing my Posi ported Eaton with 2.93 upper, I'm using a Billett flow complete idler kit and a Metco 4 lb lower. My question is will it hurt anything to use the 3.5" alternator pulley I have? I now see that it's for a 6 lb lower not a 4, could this cause any harm?
Maybe make the alternator turn too slow?

Thanks in advance!
Mat

TRBO VNM

You wil be fine.

Not necessarily.

OP, log your voltage after you install everything. you may need to go to the 3.2 or the stock pulley if it slows it down too much. I have a 2.76 and 4# lower. I put the 3.2 on my alt and found out my voltage was down uner 12.5volts in the upper rpm ranges. I just put the stock pulley back on last night and need to make sure it brought my voltage back up. My alternator only has about 200 miles on it, if that. It is fine at idle and cruise, just not when I go WOT.

bottom line, check it when you are done and adjust accordingly. too low voltage is not good.

and a FYI, my first setup a couple terminators ago was a 2.93 upper and 6# lower. For over 10k miles I never had an issue with a stock alt pulley. I went turbo after that.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Maybe make the alternator turn too slow?
Mat

I have been running a 2.90/4# combo with a 3.5" for over a year, no charging/alt issues. Volts in the low 13 to mid-high 12's. Underspinning the alt slightly is good. At least it works for me at this voltage range. Red top battery put in about six to eight months ago, no issues - just decided to get the red top dry cell.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
You may find this helpful.

AlternatorPulleyChart.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread