3.5 Ecoboost Gen 1 versus Direct & Port Injected

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It's crazy the amount of buildup that can happen on these direct injection engines. Our 2013 Fusion had the 2.0 turbo in it which was known to have the same issue. At that time, Fords fix was replacing the head.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2013 ecoboost with under 50k miles. Should I sea foam it to help with this or just sell it and get a V8?

mariusvt

Established Member
Several good di specific cleaners out there too, like this one from crc.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Along with JLT Oil Separators in our Explorer (3.5 EB) and Mustang (5.0), I also dump a couple cans of RP MaxClean in the gas tanks throughout the year.

Been thinking about switching to Seafoam since it's about 1/2 the price as MaxClean.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Several good di specific cleaners out there too, like this one from crc.

IF this products used on a heavily carboned up valves, won't those deposits get blown through the combustion chamber and foul the plugs and clog the O2 sensors?

mariusvt

Established Member
IF this products used on a heavily carboned up valves, won't those deposits get blown through the combustion chamber and foul the plugs and clog the O2 sensors?
I was talking more as part of a maintenance routine, if they are as bad as that video, you're in for a much more costly option.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve heard mixed things about using this but haven’t taken the time to dig into it. I have seen that ford recommends against it

My 12 is about to turn 150k, keep waiting for it to be an issue

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Read that Ford says the spray in foam cleaner is bad for the turbo's. The spray cleaner manufacturers say it is not. The cleaning with crushed walnut hulls seems like the best.
The neighbor and I have talked about splitting the cost on one of those blaster setups, problem is none of us have an air compressor big enough to do it and don’t want one either

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The mechanic said this one cost around $500.

Maybe if I had a shop, there are other options out there using your own shop vac for 200-300.

Depending on what a ship would charge I might just let them deal with it if/when the time comes. The shit I’m still willing to do myself is getting shorter all the time

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
we were pretty surprised at the buildup on my 11k mile LT4, but these look nasty!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
The neighbor and I have talked about splitting the cost on one of those blaster setups, problem is none of us have an air compressor big enough to do it and don’t want one either

When I moved I gave my 60gal to my brother, ended up using my 20gal with the harbor freight tank and it worked like a charm. Could only do 1 cylinder about every 5 min but still it worked like a charm.

Those cleaners don’t work worth a shit, I used 2 cans of the CRC and it didn’t put a dent in the carbon deposits. Even after soaking with it and using picks/stiff bristle brush it was not removing the majority.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When I moved I gave my 60gal to my brother, ended up using my 20gal with the harbor freight tank and it worked like a charm. Could only do 1 cylinder about every 5 min but still it worked like a charm.

Those cleaners don’t work worth a shit, I used 2 cans of the CRC and it didn’t put a dent in the carbon deposits. Even after soaking with it and using picks/stiff bristle brush it was not removing the majority.
I only have a little pancake these days, don’t think that’s be worth it

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I seafoamed my 2008 Cobalt SS twice and it didn't do anything. It had meth injection at 20,000 miles and at 45,000 miles it was as bad as the gen 1 ecoboost.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Is there verifiable data that shows, one way or another, that this has an effect on power output or efficiency? The OEM engineers have long insisted that it has no practical negative impact over the design life of the engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread