3.5" Bassani baffles - Question?

cobra808

Established Member
Just got some 3.5" Bassani baffles off of E-bay for my Maggies.

Need someone's help.

Baffles came wrapped in some type of polyester or fiberglass matting which was held on by masking tape. Is this just packing material or do I leave it on.

Installed it with the matting material anyway. Sounds a bit quieter but still got the nice throaty sound when I stomp on it.

Thanks.....WC

ALA G8R

Banned
That fiberglass mesh and tape is supposed to aid in sound absorption, I guess. Mine found its way into the garbage can. Some folks have used header wrap instead of the fiberglass mesh.

cobra808

Established Member
thanks ALA GR8

mines started to come out of the tail pipe after installation. Felt kind of stupid...wat the heck, still goes fast!

03DOHC

Established Member
I left mine in. I also went to a motorcycle shop and purchaced some fiberglass packing material for aftermarket motorcycle exhausts and wrapped that over the existing thin strip of fiberglass and around the baffles. I held it there with paper tape wrapped around the fiberglass and stuck the baffles in. Definately much much quieter than stock now, almmost too quiet, but she still has some bite to it when you floor it and I don't have any strips coming out the back yet.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bassani used to use a wire mesh wrap around the fiberglass wrap but stopped using it because it didn't hold well, according to a Bassani rep I talked to on Friday. Now they use masking tape -- go figure! Doesn't make sense to me. But I'll install them Tuesday with the tape and see what happens. If the wrap doesn't last I'll find another solution because I do want to quiet the exhaust (Magnaflow) a bit.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Now they use masking tape
That's what I used. You can smell the tape cooking in there.:-D It's pretty quiet with the extra fiberglass I put in there. I didn't try it without the extra fiberglass, so I can't compare before and after, however, I used to run different baffles in my bike, so I know the extra fiberglass attenuates the sound more than not having it in there at all.

cobra808

Established Member
Thanks guys for the replies.

So I guess the opinions are leave it in or add more fiberglass material.

Users who are viewing this thread