3.4 Whipple build with pics & video

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
After 2 months and 3 days, it is finally up and running. Bed is back on, Whippy is bolted down, monster inlet is on, complete fuel system installed, SHOKDU's dual catch can is installed, just awaiting my mirror accents for my hood before I bolt that back down and I'm awaiting a tune from JJ so I can get it to the dyno shop. I spent 7 minutes today datalogging so hopefully its right on. After having the 3.4 since last August, it was due time to slap it on. Although, I had nuts/bolts/parts are over the box inside when it arrived, their studs broke on the base of the Whipple and I had to pay for new ones , their instructions SUCK bad (why in the hell would you give the 2.3 instructions for the 3.4????), finding assorted fittings, and some of the normal BS that one can expect with a last name of Murphy, it's finally done. On the vid it sounds kinda rough. It started up and shook violently for about 15-30 seconds and the a/f was pegged at 16 and the exhaust fumes burned my throat and eyes so hopefully once all is done from my starter tune, she'll be good to go. What do you guys think it'll produce? Any gamblers out there? I was at 490/568 to the wheels and now I have a 2# lower and 4# upper. I'm hoping for the big 700 but we'll see. Here are the pics and a crappy video.

001-22.jpg
[/IMG]

002-26.jpg
[/IMG]

003-23.jpg
[/IMG]

004-23.jpg
[/IMG]

silvblt97
[/ame][/IMG]

FlaHP

Established Member
Looks great.

Just a warning the 3.4 acts different at the track than the dyno. Its takes more fuel and make a ton of heat so watch the gauges and data log a lot

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
Thanks for the compliments guys. As for boost there Stew, I dropped down to a 2# lower and the stock 4" upper. I'm guesing @20#s, but I'm still trying to get that math equation in my head as to how to get the correct boost. (did I mention I HATE math). And yes the 3.4 is one huge a$$ blower. Not to mention heavy as hell too. I'm still fighting with the datalogging. The RPMs won't stay steady for JJ to gimme a tune yet. I've fought with this thing for over a week now. Setting the air rate, geting the TPS at .98, switching the IAC lines, going over and re-going over my lines and checking for leaks, adjusting the fuel pressure, etc. I'm stumped. This datalogging is a PITA so far. I can see why its crucial to get things dead on, but I cannot even keep a steady idle. Today after my load dropped when the e-fans cut off, the rpm dropped drastically and I had to shut her down. I figured under a load it would drop, but not when the load cuts out. But also the load nearly doubled when the fans cut off. :shrug: I have a friend stopping by tonight to check it out too. Maybe he'll see something I keep overlooking. Any of you guys have any thoughts??

Users who are viewing this thread