3.3 Lysholm Boost curve/general thoughts..

c_mart_28

Established Member
Hey guys,

I hope to not make myself sound completely hopeless in this thread, but I'm trying to get a solid street tune on the car.

I'd really like to get an opinion from those more experienced on a quick 2nd gear street pull. The tune has about an hour of dyno time invested but it is a work in progress with several new pieces.

The car is just back together and consists of a stock longblock, the 3.3 Lysholm, full longtubes, 105 lb injectors, 4" upper, 4 lb lower (makes 22 psi eventually..,) 22* of timing, E85 and is running proEFI.

Makes 18psi at 3600 rpm, 20#'s@4575, 21#'s@4800, 22#'s@6300.. Is this a normal boost curve?

14* of timing at 3644 rpm, 15*@4148, 16*@4500, 17*@4762, 18*@5060, 20@5771, 22*@6400. Normal?

Car feels a bit sluggish to be honest. I have a log of a 3k-6.6k street pull to try to answer any questions that might be helpful.

Just trying to get general opinions and I really appreciate any and all help!

I realize it's not much help but:
nightpull1_zps48fcf1fa.jpg

Thanks,
Casey

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
How much power is it making? Because my car on e85 makes aver 700rwhp and over 650650ftlb trq by 2000 rpm but that's with a 3. 4 at 19the psi stock long block too, my car doesn't feel sluggish at all ...

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
My car with the 2.3 wanted a lot more timing in the midrange. I was running 19* @ 3000 and 23* total.

c_mart_28

Established Member
My car with the 2.3 wanted a lot more timing in the midrange. I was running 19* @ 3000 and 23* total.

I was really hoping you'd chime in..

On the dyno my tuner had said that it just wasn't responding to more timing in the midrange rpm's like he had expected. That said, he also only went 1-2* more, saw little gain and then dialed it back. In talking to him about this, he says he might want to give it more timing down low by a solid amount and see what it does. I think we'll find a decent amount of power there. The car pulls cleanly through those RPM's but it's just..not impressive at that point.

What about the boost curve? Knowing these blowers should make their boost almost instantly, can you think of anything to check as to why mine isn't? Using Vortech's 5" inlet, a huge air filter and the 123mm tb and crusher inlet that came with the setup that you are familiar with.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The only real experience I have had with the 3.3 is Skaarew04SVT's car. It felt like a beast down low but it had 10.7:1 compression too. Maybe with the larger profile of the 3.3 you loose some TQ getting it to spin those larger rotors?

For the boost, I would check and make sure the bypass is hooked up and adjusted correctly and make sure the hose is secure! It can be a bitch if it comes off because it's not very easy to get to.

Also, we found that with the 5" tubing, the MAF had much better resolution with a stock slot style MAF. Erik used one from a 2008 Explorer that he paid like $26 off Ebay.

c_mart_28

Established Member
Yeah his compression ratio made for a killer combo.

An additional note on my car is that it is running proEFI and is tuned using speed density, so no MAF.

The bypass valve has been my most logical place to look. I have some learning to do on how to adjust it.

c_mart_28

Established Member
Really wish there were a few other stock longblock folks with this blower that I could compare to. I've spent hours looking at data logs but not knowing what others have done with the same setup makes it hard to know if what I'm getting is normal or not.

c_mart_28

Established Member
Little more info. Logging even street pulls provides just so much information-

So, I've been shredding supercharger belts. A note I maybe should have mentioned earlier. This last belt has lasted ~100 miles before losing ribs. Looked at it Monday only to see that my alternator itself was "tweaked" a bit causing the pulley to be misaligned a little.

Go out tonight, on my belt with 6 of 8 belt ribs no less- cool night, approximately 50*, make 26.16 psi at 6035 rpm. Still builds boost but it does it pretty darn quickly and efficiently.

Cooler night? Maybe, but I think my belt alignment may have something to do with this after all...silly cars. My timing map was dialed back at that boost level because of..having never been there so it was only seeing 17-18* with a peak of 19.

I will have this car figured out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread