2v vs 4v on e85 power gains

Twisted2v

Established Member
I've been doing searches and found that the 4v gains on e85 were much greater than the 2v, with the information given. I compared two articles by 5.0 magazine with both work done at Anderson.

E85 Two-Valve Buildup - Tech Information - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

2004 Mustang Mach 1 E35 Mileage Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

The 2v n/a is completely built, but it doesn't specify whether it was tuned or what the compression numbers were. My guess is lower comp. for the blower put on in the same article. It gained 6 hp 9 tq.

The mach 1 is bone stock and was tuned for the e85. It gained 30 hp 38 tq.

My question is, is there more to be gained in a 4v vs a 2v? It's hard to figure given the lack of info. I'm sure some of the machs power gains were from stock tune to performance tune.

The 2v could have been compared using a perf. 93 vs perf. e85 tune.

I have a stock longblock 2v with aftermarket cams and all the bolt ons, n/a and wonder if e85 is worth it.

02blownGT

Established Member
E85 wont be worth it,You can already be as agressive as you want with the timing on your current setup.Its like adding a race gas tune to a car thats setup exactly the same as it was for pump gas the gains will be minimal.E85 is great when you are exceeding the limits of pump gas,I just cant see the trouble and expense of E85 when you are still well within the limits of pump gas.

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
At 5.0 Magazine's King of Street Steve Shrader's 99 GT Brightmare put down 834 rwhp with a 4.6 sohc 2 valve on Holley's Dyno. With a 5 speed manual it ran 9.86 @ 146 and put quite a few 4 valves on the trailer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread