2v 5.4 vs. 3v 5.4?

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
what is the differance in the short blocks guys? also, if i swap the complete engine from the L into say, an 07 f150 4x4 that had a 5.4 3v, what are the problems im going to run into?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It will bolt in, you issue will come with tuning. The 07 ecu is designed to work with ETC, so you will have to run an electronic TB. The variable cam phasing will have to be turned off and something will have to be done about the IATs. These are just a few issues you're going to run into. The tranny will also be a problem. An L engine will eventually eat the stock 4R75.

You be much better off just buying a blower for the 3v truck.

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
yeah thats what its looking like to me too.

I was on alldatapro.com and was looking at the set up the 07 has.

here is why i was looking at the swap.

those cam phasers are SHIT! i dont understand why ford would change what was working for them. i believe that i have a bad cam phaser on the drivers side, and i can hear a " fa fa fa fa" sound around 1800rpms before the 1-2 gear change. so it makes me thing the timing is holding the valve open or fireing to early. meaning, the phaser is not working.
and also, im getting some ticking noise from there as well.
so, it looks like i need to take it to ford and get it inspected again, and when i hear those words again," sir, you need to replace the engine to fix the problem" im going to hit him with the 12.5 hrs of labor and 1000.00 worth of parts to fix the phasers and replace all the timing components.
that should take care of the problem, then on to finding a saleen S/C for it or whipple.

Jroc

Established Member
2v's are POS, and even my mangina flows better than them. With thats said I would much rather own a 2v motor than a 3v motor. You're going to have a blast if you ever break a spark plug off in one of your new 3v heads which is not at all an uncommon thing. Plus Ford new electronic TB, and complex PCM's make for an extremely boring ride that will feel much slower and weaker than it actually is.

I vote either staying 2v or step up to a 4v ftw!!!

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
well, the issue is, i have an 07 3v. And Im thinking the cam phaser on the end of the cam shaft is torn up. which is just BS. they should have just stayed with the original design like the 2v heads cam gears.

and yes, the sluggish feeling is the electric TB. but i dont see myself any time soon installing the vise grips like the dyno guys do and running it like that. lol so ill have to deal with it.
now, i gotta wait till monday and call ford to see if there parts and labor are the same as alldatapro.com which im sure its close.

Sonic Blue L

Established Member
well, the issue is, i have an 07 3v. And Im thinking the cam phaser on the end of the cam shaft is torn up. which is just BS. they should have just stayed with the original design like the 2v heads cam gears.

and yes, the sluggish feeling is the electric TB. but i dont see myself any time soon installing the vise grips like the dyno guys do and running it like that. lol so ill have to deal with it.
now, i gotta wait till monday and call ford to see if there parts and labor are the same as alldatapro.com which im sure its close.

Do you run aftermarket oil filters? The reason i ask is because some aftermarket oil filters break down and cause filter media to restrict oil flow and take out the cam phazers and head/cam. Usually you can tell because the oil galleries are pluged with filter material. Shit filters = big problems.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
If the phaser(s) aren't completely ruined you could get some cam phase limiters/eliminators and good tune to help with throttle response and turn off the cam phase. A buddy of mine had to replace his engine in his '07 F150 for a bad phaser also, I was surprised to hear it considering the relatively low mileage. :nonono:

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
nice that is what i was thinking could be done. remove the phasers, and adjust for them in the tune. cause from looking at it, there mechanical action " spring" and counter weight.

so, tech speaking, the phaser adjust timing based on rpm and counter weight, and the computer pickes the signal up from the advance and sends the spark based on the phaser.
is that correct?

if so, that is where the tune would come in when phasers are removed?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You're basically telling the ecu that the cam phasers do not exist. It will keep it from trying to adjusting fuel and timing.

Users who are viewing this thread