2nd trans in 10k miles!!!

turbo2300

new svt *****
Established Member
so i bought my car with almost 73k miles on it. driving nice one night(you say yea right, but its true), i bent the shift fork(s?) for 3rd and 4th, around 76k miles (t45). so i bought a mach 1 trans (t3650) that was supposed to have low miles(yea again-i know i know..) and has been fine since, and on friday, it started grinding like hell going to 3rd!!:shrug: am i the only one with these problems??:??::??:

all i do is drive this car nice, i pounded my 5.0 for 40k miles (bought at 180k and drove to 220k) and never had a trans problem, and it got beat 100x worse!!

Last edited:

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
These trans just plain suck man...I've personally been through 4, 3 in my black vert and 1 in the red hard top. I'm upgrading to a R spec T56 with Viper spec 6th next year some time. Only other option I see is get built 3650 from PMP.

sleepermobile

Established Member
so i bought my car with almost 73k miles on it. driving nice one night(you say yea right, but its true), i bent the shift fork(s?) for 3rd and 4th, around 76k miles (t45). so i bought a mach 1 trans (t3650) that was supposed to have low miles(yea again-i know i know..) and has been fine since, and on friday, it started grinding like hell going to 3rd!!:shrug: am i the only one with these problems??:??::??:

all i do is drive this car nice, i pounded my 5.0 for 40k miles (bought at 180k and drove to 220k) and never had a trans problem, and it got beat 100x worse!!

Its not just the trans that suck in these cars!!!!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
That sucks, my friend. The transmissions do suck! Especially with the power our cars can put to the ground.

You could rebuild and fortify your existing transmission. Not sure how much it would cost, but you could probably get a new one for the price

Or you could upgrade to a T-56 or a built T-56 as 97V8SHO mentioned. If you are trying to pinch pennies, a stock T-56 out of an 03 cobra will support plenty of power. I haven't had any issues with mine. It has a 10 spline input shaft if you want to keep your existing clutch, but when it comes time to upgrade, you might as well upgrade your clutch and input shaft to a 31-spline setup.. because the input shaft is the weak link in that transmission. Plus, with a T-56, you'll get closer gear ratios... (that awkward spot between 3rd and 4th where you can never get the RPM's just right will be gone). Plus, you'll get an extra gear to cruise on the highway. (as if you didn't know that already).

I'd recommend going that route. However, rebuilding your existing transmission does have a small advantage over the T-56, which is weight savings. The T-56 weighs a significant amount more than the smaller 5 speed. However, some of this weight can be negated when using an aluminum driveshaft and/or flywheel when making the swap.

Homer

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
thanks, but the price of a 6 spd makes me want to cry:nonono:

How much does it cost to:
1. Replace your existing transmission with an identical used piece?
2. Replace your existing transmission with an identical new piece?
3. Replace your existing transmission with an identical (but upgraded) piece?

vs. Upgrading to a junkyard T-56 from an 03-04 cobra?

Something tells me you'll spend almost as much if you keep your old transmission. A replacement will be less at first, but it'll break again. An upgraded piece will be more...(but still probably less than a T-56)..which could be a good idea.

You can search the junkyards and find plenty of wrecked 03 cobras. I paid less than 2 grand for mine... brand new 3 years ago (including the driveshaft and crossmember). I'll bet you can find a lightly used one nowadays for much less. You'll be spending less in the long run if you keep breaking the same transmissions.

Homer

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Don't put a T-56 in, you should have sent your blown T-45 to Pro-Motion to have a spare on deck, now do it with the 3650!!

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
Don't put a T-56 in, you should have sent your blown T-45 to Pro-Motion to have a spare on deck, now do it with the 3650!!

Just curios but why do some of you say "don't put a T56 in"? I just don't get it...are you die hard drag race fans or something? 30lbs (which I think the weight difference is) isn't that much, and it makes changing the clutch WAY easier because the bell housing stays on the motor. You also get closer ratio's like previously stated. Not to mention the biggest pro to it, it's beefy as hell and will hold alot more than a 3650 which where never intended to hold the power our modded cars put down.

K2AHollywood, She make you a sandwich after?

Users who are viewing this thread