2nd Gear Burnouts not happening?

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
1st gear burnouts are easy as pie of course, but when I dump it in 2nd it feels the the traction control is on and I am burning the clutch. No burnout. Is my clutch cooked or is it something else? I bought the car with 41,000 on it last summer. Had a clutch quadrant and adjuster installed in it already and it seems like an aftermarket clutch, as it is easier than stock on the leg. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Johnny

sc98cbra

Established Member
A word of Advice. I did a second gear burnout about two weeks ago, a burned the hell out of my clutch.

Either do a burnout starting in first, switching it to second during the burnout; do a second gear burnout on top of water; or dont do it at all.

Johnny03

Johnny
Established Member
Thats why I love forums. I learn from my mistakes all of the time. The stock gearing is no good for 2nd gear burnouts! I guess guys doing 2nd gear burnouts have taller gears. Well hopefully my clutch isn't fried. Thanks.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
Jaspersvt and me both do 2nd gear burnouts. All it takes is back in the water spin tires over in first to get them wet. Pull up to edge of water and dump in 2nd with no brake aplied for a split second to let them spin easily. Sounds hard but really isn't and the burnout heats up the tires faster.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Thats why I love forums. I learn from my mistakes all of the time. The stock gearing is no good for 2nd gear burnouts! I guess guys doing 2nd gear burnouts have taller gears. Well hopefully my clutch isn't fried. Thanks.

I LOVE the internet because of all the bad info people give you. Now you wouldn't think you factory clutch is a bit on the used up side or that you are just over powering it a bit do you. These car will smoke tires in second gear with out a problem at all on a dry road with street tires. Just rev it up and dump the clutch like they said a few posts up.

Fat-cat

Established Member
my car hates second gear burnouts.. no clutch burn ( in the water box ) not sure what it is when i come out the car doesn't like to go in gear after.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Jaspersvt and me both do 2nd gear burnouts. All it takes is back in the water spin tires over in first to get them wet. Pull up to edge of water and dump in 2nd with no brake aplied for a split second to let them spin easily. Sounds hard but really isn't and the burnout heats up the tires faster.

:burnout: 2nd + water ftw

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vcFPmNKrXE"]YouTube- 04 cobra 12.77 1/4 mile[/nomedia]

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I just went out the other day and did my first burnout with my stock cobra.

I went out on an old road and revved it up to about 3500 rpm's and dumped the clutch in 2nd gear and it smoked the tires off with ease.:-D

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
i couldnt do a burnout in second either until i put the line lock on. 1st gear revved way to quick. drive through the water hold the line lock put it in 2nd rev the engine and dump and there you have a nice roasty burnout at 3800 rpm

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I've always done 2nd gear burnouts, couldn't get enough heat in the DR's in 1st. Installing a line-lock at the moment to save my rear brakes...metal on metal doesn't stop very well as I found out.

Users who are viewing this thread