2024 REAL Lightning???

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

2024 Ford F-150 Lobo Could Be a Hi-Po SVT Lightning Revival
The F-150 is adding a street-performance model like the original SVT sport truck, per a report by Ford Authority.

The Ford F-150 lineup looks to add a street-performance model called the Lobo, as first reported by Ford Authority.

While specific powertrain details aren't mentioned, the F-150 Lobo will reportedly have a lowered ride height and distinctive styling.
The refreshed 2024 F-150 is set to debut at the Detroit auto show, and if the report is true, the Lobo could be an SVT Lightning revival.
When the electric Ford F-150 Lightning debuted a couple years ago, we opined that it was a missed opportunity for the Blue Oval to create a high-performance sport truck à la the original F-150 SVT Lightning. Now it looks like Ford will correct that perceived misstep with a street-performance version of the soon-to-be-refreshed 2024 F-150. Of course, that's if a report published last Saturday by Ford Authority turns out to be true.

Introducing the F-150 Lobo
For those who don't know, the Ford F-150 is known as the Lobo in Mexico, where the half-ton pickup truck has used that moniker since the 1990s. With the Lightning name now attached to the F-150 EV, Ford can't simply slap that onto a hi-po version of its gas- and hybrid-powered trucks without creating a marketing nightmare and confusing the heck out of people. Instead, the company will reportedly bring the Lobo name to the U.S. market.

Ford Performance recently released a rowdy supercharger package for the F-150 that pairs the truck's available 5.0-liter V-8 with a 3.0-liter Whipple supercharger to generate a combined 700 horsepower. While we don't expect the F-150 Lobo to have that much power out of the box—although it'd be sweet if it's compatible with that package—Ford Authority's sources claim the sport truck will have a lowered ride height and a unique appearance.

While powertrain details weren't mentioned in the report, it sounds like the Lobo variant will be similar to the off-road-oriented Tremor treatment, which is a standalone model that's currently offered on most Ford pickup trucks, from the compact Maverick to the full-size F-150 to the HD Super Duty.

With the refreshed F-150 set to debut at the Detroit auto show in the coming weeks, we should find out soon if Ford is reviving a hi-po pickup truck like the OG SVT Lightning or if we just got all excited for nothing. Stay tuned.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I saw an article about this about a week ago, but I think it was just about the patent name. They also filed a patent in the US for F-200 as well. Would be cool if they did a street truck using the Predator. I hope they don't just do the supercharged Coyote since you can get that already.

triple-s

Established Member
I wonder if this is for the Mexican market since f 150 in Mexico and South America are called Lobo. Also for my non Spanish speaking friends Lobo means Wolf.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I wonder if this is for the Mexican market since f 150 in Mexico and South America are called Lobo. Also for my non Spanish speaking friends Lobo means Wolf.

That was mentioned in the article I read, but the significance is that they are registering the name in the US. It very well may be nothing as they register and patent things all the time they never use, but you never know. I feel like they wouldn't use Lobo for a new product given it's already been used in another market unless they are purposely trying to attract Hispanics.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That was mentioned in the article I read, but the significance is that they are registering the name in the US. It very well may be nothing as they register and patent things all the time they never use, but you never know. I feel like they wouldn't use Lobo for a new product given it's already been used in another market unless they are purposely trying to attract Hispanics.

Maybe a 5.0 equipped smuggling van. Call it a… Coyote.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Pretty much, I was confused with their naming 20+ years ago.

Why does Ford leave US behind at times? I mean the dang Ranger Raptor has been in Mexico for almost 2 years. Even the original Ranger was barely getting shown in auto shows in US while Cartels in Mexico were already killing dudes in em lol

Users who are viewing this thread