2017 vs 2018 Mustang comparing the old s550 and the refresh

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
My biggest beef with the S550 is the sloping rear roof line. It makes the car look like the ass end is sagging no matter what you do it’s almost impossible to fix it. Irritates me.

The best looking recent mustang in my opinion is still the 13/14 S197.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Btw, what track did you go to? Fontana?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
They're both still ugly. I still haven't seen an '18 in person yet, though.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I don't mind the 18+ in some colors, I still don't like the front as much as the 15-17 but god damn am I jealous of the quad tip exhaust bumper. I might have to wait for someone to wreck a oxford white GT in a front impact and take the rear bumper (not like the bumper paints match the body anyways!)

I do like some of the changes they made on the interior which I'm going to incorporate into my car.

I'd still be leery of owning that DI system for a long time, maybe I'm just leery because of all of the BMW N54/N55 "walnut blasting" and high pressure fuel pump stories I've read about, I know Ford has additional injectors to combat carbon build up.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I don't mind the 18+ in some colors, I still don't like the front as much as the 15-17 but god damn am I jealous of the quad tip exhaust bumper. I might have to wait for someone to wreck a oxford white GT in a front impact and take the rear bumper (not like the bumper paints match the body anyways!)

I do like some of the changes they made on the interior which I'm going to incorporate into my car.

I'd still be leery of owning that DI system for a long time, maybe I'm just leery because of all of the BMW N54/N55 "walnut blasting" and high pressure fuel pump stories I've read about, I know Ford has additional injectors to combat carbon build up.
Eh, maybe it gets bad at real high miles, but my MS6 is fine at 88k

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Eh, maybe it gets bad at real high miles, but my MS6 is fine at 88k

I'm not familiar with how Mazda set them up, BMW owners usually have to do walnut blasting every 40-50k miles but BMW setups (at least the older ones, not sure if they learned their lesson yet) don't have secondary injectors to wash the intake runners out.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I'm not familiar with how Mazda set them up, BMW owners usually have to do walnut blasting every 40-50k miles but BMW setups (at least the older ones, not sure if they learned their lesson yet) don't have secondary injectors to wash the intake runners out.
Lots of the MS6 guys take theirs apart & blast too. Pretty much same nonsense.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
For as long as I can remember, Ford wheels have looked like a 5th grader designed them. ****ing terrible.

You don't like lame wheels and the 4X4 look? New Edge, S197...the list goes on and on. We have discussed this for years, that your first order of business when you buy a new Mustang is to drop that bitch and get new wheels, yet Ford has done THE WORST job in doing this. The S550 is better in the stance category, but the wheels still suck. I should start a poll...which wheels are best: Schwinn spoked wheels from a 1970's ten-speed bicycle or stock rims from a 2007-09 GT500. LOL

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You don't like lame wheels and the 4X4 look? New Edge, S197...the list goes on and on. We have discussed this for years, that your first order of business when you buy a new Mustang is to drop that bitch and get new wheels, yet Ford has done THE WORST job in doing this. The S550 is better in the stance category, but the wheels still suck. I should start a poll...which wheels are best: Schwinn spoked wheels from a 1970's ten-speed bicycle or stock rims from a 2007-09 GT500. LOL

pretty much this every single time I buy a mustang, wheels and drop...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Agree with most of this!

Recent wheels aren't bad. 11/12 GT500 wheels look great IMO.

I also like the black accent wheels on the 18+ cars. They aren't wide enough at 8.5", but the styling is not bad.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
pretty much this every single time I buy a mustang, wheels and drop...

I had an 2007 GT with those "fanblades" as we used to call them. Good Lord! The only exception for me was my 2004 Terminator with the chrome wheels. They looked good, but the car still needed dropped.

Agree with most of this!

I also like the black accent wheels on the 18+ cars. They aren't wide enough at 8.5", but the styling is not bad.

But think about this...the 11/12 GT500 is a $50k-$60k car MSRP, for that money you should get a decent wheel!

The black accent package and PP wheels on the S550 are ok too, I agree. But have you seen the price tag for these cars? $40k+. Get some decent wheels and a more aggressive stance, please. You can keep your butt-warming seats and SYNC!

96gt02

Established Member
I like the 15-17 over the 18 so far, but I do like the bullitt a lot and I think the GT350 is one of the best looking factory cars ever. And overall the 13/14 is still the king IMO, basically got everything right.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I also like the black accent wheels on the 18+ cars.
Best wheels on any mustang to date I think are the PP2 wheels on the 2018 models:
2018-Ford-Mustang-Performance-Pack-Level-2-wheel-01.jpg

0rd0cfvv48l01.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Is that yours, @Serpent ? That's a rare horse so far! Almost nobody seems to have their hands on a PP2 car.

I think the wheels on the '99 GT were pretty nice. So were the '99 Cobra wheels. And the '93 Cobra wheels. As well as the '87-'93 GT wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread