2017 Test Drive and Rear end clunk..

Drewsky65

Established Member
hi there, I started a thread on trading my 2013 GT500 for an R Model a few weeks ago. Long story short I was not able to get the numbers where I would need them to get the R. there was another 2017 avalanche grey GT350 ( non R) there as well. I didn't think much of it but then decided to go back for a test drive. I can go on about what I think about it but that is for another time. I noticed after driving at stoplight pushing in the clutch to go to 1st the rear end would clunk as it engaged, I didn't think to much on it but it seemed to do this every time which made me think more and more. IS THIS NORMAL??

on 2nd note. I am literally 50/50 on the fence between this car and by black 13 Gt500 I currently have. would you make the trade?!?!?

ANGREY

Established Member
I won't speak to the swap decision, but no, any noise from the rear end when shifting is not "normal." If you're making this type of decision, it's probably worth it to go test drive a another 350. The only time you should hear anything from the drive train is when the car is in "normal" exhaust mode with the radio off and windows up in low rpm/start type conditions. You'll hear some chatter and whine of the transmission, but I don't ever remember being able to hear anything from the rear end, let alone abrupt "clunk" noises.

Drewsky65

Established Member
it was only at a dead stop, engaging the clutch then putting into gear. made a clunk as it engaged. 100% normal otherwise

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I arrived at my GT350 from a 2014 GT500. I'm a road course guy and the 350's easier to drive fast, although it's not actually faster. It has been a positive experience for me, and I'd do it again.

As for the "clunk" - it shouldn't do that.

So, my belief is that you should do the switch, but not to that particular GT350.

Established Member
I've had two GT350's and no clunks or whines... I'd ask them to have the service dept check it out before passing final judgement and depending on the resolution use it as a negotiating lever. If they don't have a good answer, locating another should not be too difficult and if they resolve it, then case closed.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I see quite a few complain of a clunk, exactly when you desceibed it...at a stop, putting into first. Mine does not do it very much, but the MT82 in the GT was pretty horrible and I don't recall any kind of fix. I also don't recall adverse effects either though...

I'd be interested if the dealer is able to 'fix' it as I'm skeptical it's even a problem

Established Member
Put that way, you can decern the load up of the drivetrain when putting mine in gear, but there is no real clunk.

Interestingly, the DCT in my M3 has a similar loading when I put it in drive, which is same as a manual transmission going into gear with the clutch in...

An obnoxious clunk seems bad, loading of the drivetrain normal.

update: I went for a drive yesterday and paid particular attention when shifting and I think I can only hear the linkage as I move the shifter... nothing else.

Last edited:

ArkLightning

Established Member
Mine has a light thud (but I would not use clunk to describe it) when I move the shifter into first at a light. Appears to be related to the shifter and not the drive train itself as I'm still holding the clutch down. If I'm a bit clumsy or lazy in my up shift (let revs fall too far) I get a bit of driveline clunk which I regard as normal for a drivetrain with 3 u-joints, a differential and CV joints. If I'm paying attention on my up shifts and matching revs halfway well, it's pretty quiet.

My 2012 GT did the same thing (w/o the CV joints of course). My car had 2600 miles on it when I bought it but after owning the 2012 I regard this as normal.

Drewsky65

Established Member
Mine has a light thud (but I would not use clunk to describe it) when I move the shifter into first at a light. Appears to be related to the shifter and not the drive train itself as I'm still holding the clutch down. If I'm a bit clumsy or lazy in my up shift (let revs fall too far) I get a bit of driveline clunk which I regard as normal for a drivetrain with 3 u-joints, a differential and CV joints. If I'm paying attention on my up shifts and matching revs halfway well, it's pretty quiet.

My 2012 GT did the same thing (w/o the CV joints of course). My car had 2600 miles on it when I bought it but after owning the 2012 I regard this as normal.

Thud would actually be a more proper term to describe it. Who knows I may have not been pushing the clutch all the way ??

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I have not had a thud or noise, but my big bloody feet engages the clutch lol...14 1/2 wide does that !

In all seriousness take it back out and see if the noise is still there...purposely not engage the clutch and see if you get your noise.

By the way I came out of 700RWHP 11 GT500 and I have no regrets.

Drewsky65

Established Member
I have not had a thud or noise, but my big bloody feet engages the clutch lol...14 1/2 wide does that !

In all seriousness take it back out and see if the noise is still there...purposely not engage the clutch and see if you get your noise.

By the way I came out of 700RWHP 11 GT500 and I have no regrets.

good to know on this, i am leaning on doing it as long as the numbers are where they need to be. they don't want to give me much on the trade in for the 500 and i am afraid the 350's will drop when the next 500 is out at years end. don't want to be underwater in the car is all. so i need to know if it will be mine forever

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Time is ripe to get a great deal on a 350... don't settle for an "ok" deal.

Tons of '17's still on lots.

Hell... I saw a new '16 on autotraderother day.

Users who are viewing this thread