2017 gt500

MJslasherADM1N

Established Member
Any updates on this topic? I considered trading in my GT500 to one of the top Ford Performance dealerships in the country a while back. He was trying to sell me on "When the 2017 GT500 is announced the value of your 2014 will plummet, just like what happened with the 2011/2012 MY when the 2013 was announced"
He is likely correct, and I agreed with him. I told him "I dont think I have anything to worry about right now, there is no mention of a new GT500 anywhere on the internet, nothing viable at least"
He said "The 2017 GT500 will be announced in May 2016, it will be a Twin Turbo Charged 5.0 making 740 Crank HP, its been confirmed and I got this directly from a guy at Ford"
I said "Are you certain? I heard the GT500 might be a TT charged V6" He said "No, the Raptor will be an ecoboost, but the 2017 MY Gt500 will for sure be a TT 5.0"

Take that for what its worth everyone. I guess we will see in about 5 months if this guy was right. Also, he is a very credible source when it comes to Ford and Roush stuff, but not sure if his info is right about a new GT500.

Reference Thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1051832-2017-gt500

earl lee

Established Member
free post!

giphy.gif

MJslasherADM1N

Established Member
Any updates on this topic? I considered trading in my GT500 to one of the top Ford Performance dealerships in the country a while back. He was trying to sell me on "When the 2017 GT500 is announced the value of your 2014 will plummet, just like what happened with the 2011/2012 MY when the 2013 was announced"
He is likely correct, and I agreed with him. I told him "I dont think I have anything to worry about right now, there is no mention of a new GT500 anywhere on the internet, nothing viable at least"
He said "The 2017 GT500 will be announced in May 2016, it will be a Twin Turbo Charged 5.0 making 740 Crank HP, its been confirmed and I got this directly from a guy at Ford"
I said "Are you certain? I heard the GT500 might be a TT charged V6" He said "No, the Raptor will be an ecoboost, but the 2017 MY Gt500 will for sure be a TT 5.0"

Take that for what its worth everyone. I guess we will see in about 5 months if this guy was right. Also, he is a very credible source when it comes to Ford and Roush stuff, but not sure if his info is right about a new GT500.

Reference Thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1051832-2017-gt500

I see , this posted in the wrong section. I will move it.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
This info or something very close has been posted before. Guess only time will tell. I personally would like to see them stay with a PD blower, but I think twins are more likely since that's the way they are going on other platforms.

10splaya22

Established Member

Its worth nothing. No one at a dealership knows anything right now.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

I could see this happening. Considering the investment Ford has made in turbocharged engines and the fact that the production line that was making the 2013/14 5.8L V8 is shut down, a turbocharged powerplant seems likely.

Also, the Cobra/GT500 usually seemed to be one of the biggest dogs on the block when it was released-

96 had 305 hp, most power available in an American car besides Corvette and Viper
03 had 390, most power available in an American car besides the Z06 and Viper
07 had 500, most power available in an American car besides Z06 and Viper
13 had 662, most power available in an American car

Now the Hellcat has 707, which is probably underrated, so Ford likely wants to beat them and a TT 5.0 is capable of it. The biggest problems are likely emissions and their durability testing

Maustang

Established Member
I could see this happening. Considering the investment Ford has made in turbocharged engines and the fact that the production line that was making the 2013/14 5.8L V8 is shut down, a turbocharged powerplant seems likely.

Also, the Cobra/GT500 usually seemed to be one of the biggest dogs on the block when it was released-

96 had 305 hp, most power available in an American car besides Corvette and Viper
03 had 390, most power available in an American car besides the Z06 and Viper
07 had 500, most power available in an American car besides Z06 and Viper
13 had 662, most power available in an American car

Now the Hellcat has 707, which is probably underrated, so Ford likely wants to beat them and a TT 5.0 is capable of it. The biggest problems are likely emissions and their durability testing

My question is, Why would they invest in a TT 5.0 when they have already developed the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 to 600+hp

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My question is, Why would they invest in a TT 5.0 when they have already developed the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 to 600+hp

I would think a bunch of reasons to have a V8 including -

Mustang has always had a V8 - V8 sound is important to Mustang buyers
TT V8 will make more power and make power easier than a TT V6 (no need for billet and/or titanium connecting rods/crank,pistons)
Packaging, I bet the Ford GT's shape was possible with the smaller packaging of a 60 degree V6
I bet the PCM and engine controls/sensors in the GT are mucho expensive

Just guesses but they make sense to me. I'm sure there would be other reasons why Ford would go with a TT V8 (if that is what ends up happening)

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Probably because that 600hp 3.5 EB combo wouldnt fare very well inside a 3700lb mass produced mustang, whereas its great in a 2800lb streamlined racecar.

Maustang

Established Member
Probably because that 600hp 3.5 EB combo wouldnt fare very well inside a 3700lb mass produced mustang, whereas its great in a 2800lb streamlined racecar.

The fact remains that its the top of the line motor in F150, Its in the Raptor and GT. I don't think its that far off to think they would put it in the GT500.
Make it all aluminum or carbon fiber to shave weight.

Besides the rumors that the V8 is on it's way out, why invest time and money on a new setup that will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread