2017 Fusion Sport

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 2017 Fusion Sport Featured.jpg
Hot Fusion
Ford reveals a new Fusion lineup, including a 325-horsepower Sport model
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Today in the Motor City Ford takes the wraps off the latest Fusion at the North American International Auto Show. Its model lineup includes models designed for economy, luxury and performance. While the latter is definitely the one that piques our interest, all the versions of the new mid-size sedan are packed with features and technology.
Continue reading →

1fastTbird

Established Member
This car is exactly what I have been wishing Ford would build: great chassis, nice styling, AWD, and a motor that makes great power stock but still has a lot of potential. It should weigh about 3700lbs compared to the SHO's absurd 4350lbs+.
As someone who will need to seriously consider getting rid of my Mustang in the near future: The question is will it get my money over a lightly used 535i x-drive or A6 3.0T?

1fastTbird

Established Member
I am getting excited by what I am finding out regarding the 2.7L power and performance:

While rated at the same 325hp, the F150 does have a higher 375ft lb. A 4875lb 4x4 F150 will do the 1/4 in 14.3 @ 95. If the Fusion comes in around 3700lbs, that speaks well for its acceleration potential.

With regard to power that tuners have been able to unlock on the F150's, and note that the F150 is tuned to run on 87 octane: for aggressive 93 octane performance tunes, F150 owners can see gains of 60hp and 100 ft lbs to the tire. And remember that the F150 is rated with 25 ft lbs more of torque.

So could the Fusion pick up 125 ft lbs? AWD holeshot... should make for a comfy, fun DD, especially in the northern states.

I don't imagine that many people would be buying the Fusion Sport for gas mileage, but it warrants a mention that Ecoboost MPG has been a very poor to say the least. Real wold Ecoboost mileage across the board is below consumer expectations, and the early reports are the mileage in the 2.7L f150's is no better than high power V8's. I put 1000+ miles on a Fusion 2.0l ecoboost Titanium rental car, mostly highway driving with 2 passangers, and didn't get much better than 22mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I am getting excited by what I am finding out regarding the 2.7L power and performance:

While rated at the same 325hp, the F150 does have a higher 375ft lb. A 4875lb 4x4 F150 will do the 1/4 in 14.3 @ 95. If the Fusion comes in around 3700lbs, that speaks well for its acceleration potential.

With regard to power that tuners have been able to unlock on the F150's, and note that the F150 is tuned to run on 87 octane: for aggressive 93 octane performance tunes, F150 owners can see gains of 60hp and 100 ft lbs to the tire. And remember that the F150 is rated with 25 ft lbs more of torque.

So could the Fusion pick up 125 ft lbs? AWD holeshot... should make for a comfy, fun DD, especially in the northern states.

I don't imagine that many people would be buying the Fusion Sport for gas mileage, but it warrants a mention that Ecoboost MPG has been a very poor to say the least. Real wold Ecoboost mileage across the board is below consumer expectations, and the early reports are the mileage in the 2.7L f150's is no better than high power V8's. I put 1000+ miles on a Fusion 2.0l ecoboost Titanium rental car, mostly highway driving with 2 passangers, and didn't get much better than 22mpg.

Not sure why your mileage was that poor on the Fusion, not that my observations have been earth shattering. My SHO averaged 23, and the Xsport is averaging a hair below 20. Both had 3.5 EB's.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not sure why your mileage was that poor on the Fusion, not that my observations have been earth shattering. My SHO averaged 23, and the Xsport is averaging a hair below 20. Both had 3.5 EB's.

+1.

My experience with an explorer sport puts it at 23.5-24 mpg hand calculated (2 400+ mile highway trips).

While my FoST is lighter than a fusion, it doesn't really get under 25 unless it's a track day. Highway driving I see 29-31.

I think I might have to pick up one of these fusions.. It sounds like it could be a mid 12 sec car tune only.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
+1.

My experience with an explorer sport puts it at 23.5-24 mpg hand calculated (2 400+ mile highway trips).

While my FoST is lighter than a fusion, it doesn't really get under 25 unless it's a track day. Highway driving I see 29-31.

I think I might have to pick up one of these fusions.. It sounds like it could be a mid 12 sec car tune only.

A mid 12 fusion would be crazy.

1fastTbird

Established Member

Two things regarding my experience: We were in Florida so I am sure the A/C knocked off a couple MPG, and the car had only a few hundred miles. Still, my experience is not very different from many other 2.0L owners.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
One would have thought that they would have at lease made the Sport, sporty looking..

1fastTbird

Established Member
Ford's online configurator is up and running for the 2017 Fusions:

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2017/?fmccmp=lp-future-top-hp-2017-fusion

The Sport comes standard with a strong list of features, and there are only a few options available to completely load it up.

Does anyone else think, at least in pictures, that the base Aston Martin inspired grill looks better than the blacked out grill on the Sport?

It was already mentioned, but the wheels are rough looking. It will be interesting to learn if the 19" wheels from the 2013-2016 Fusions will clear the front brakes. I like a sleeper look and those wheels could be had for cheap. Ideally I would like to run some lightweight 18" rims and tires, so maybe selling the whole factory wheel and tire setup is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Ford's online configurator is up and running for the 2017 Fusions:

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2017/?fmccmp=lp-future-top-hp-2017-fusion

The Sport comes standard with a strong list of features, and there are only a few options available to completely load it up.

Does anyone else think, at least in pictures, that the base Aston Martin inspired grill looks better than the blacked out grill on the Sport?

It was already mentioned, but the wheels are rough looking. It will be interesting to learn if the 19" wheels from the 2013-2016 Fusions will clear the front brakes. I like a sleeper look and those wheels could be had for cheap. Ideally I would like to run some lightweight 18" rims and tires, so maybe selling the whole factory wheel and tire setup is the way to go.

I agree on the grill. Makes it look like a Focus.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
We have a '15 eco boost and mileage is 28 with mostly highway miles. A recent trip yielded 30. I'd love to have the awd version with a tune, though I rarely drive the car.

Users who are viewing this thread