2016 SS vs 14 coyote vs LS3 Vette Vs 5th Gen Z/28

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I am impressed with the Camaro but at this point with such a small interior and basically no back seat when does it no longer fit in the pony car segment?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I am impressed with the Camaro but at this point with such a small interior and basically no back seat when does it no longer fit in the pony car segment?

How much smaller than the Mustangs is the interior really? I don't own either, but I believe the whole interior bit has been blown way out of proportion. Get the seating position and mirrors adjusted properly, and it seemed fine to me. Go check out some of the sports cars on the market today and talk about visibility.

Back seats are a joke in both cars.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't know much about new camaros except that the new camaro is supposed to be badass. How do they compare to a 5th gen 1LE? I ran a 1LE last weekend 50-140. Vid stopped early but had 2 cars on him by 140. He said he only had a CAI and my car is stock besides 20" wheels and lowering springs

https://vimeo.com/157301403

The new sex gen, is in every way superior than its older, bigger brother.

5th gen 1LE is very comparable, stock for stock and mod for mod to the 5.0 stangs from my experience.

Nice kill and video on your part, both rears were sexy.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
16 SS or 16 Lexus IS Coupe? lol

2015-Lexus-RC-350-Fsport-Gallery-624x437-LEX-RCG-MY15-012244.png

The 16 SS is pretty quick, that's what a 300 lb diet will do. Mustang could use the same treatment.

PACETTR

Established Member
Massive difference:

..........................Camaro..........Mustang

HEADROOM, F/R 38.5/35.0 (est) in 37.6/34.8 in
LEGROOM, F/R 44.3/29.9 in 44.5/30.6 in
SHOULDER ROOM, F/R 55.0/50.4 in 56.3/52.2 in

Blackoyote

Established Member

I've been in a G6 car and I didn't notice the back seats being any more useless than the backseats of an S550...either way, no human is getting back there if there's an average sized man in the seat in front.

svt1111

Established Member
I'll probably get banned for saying it, but I drove a 16 GT auto 3.55 car and a 16 SS auto within about a week of each other. The GT was NICE! Great looks, nice interior, and great trans programming from Ford. Power wasn't bad, but the car felt heavy.

Now on to the SS. During 2/10'ths style driving, the trans programming was boring. Wouldn't hold gears, wanted to remain around 1200 rpm. Throttle response was very good for a stock car these days. Power was very very good, all throughout the power and it pulled clean to 6500 where it snapped off shifts with precision and speed. The 1-2 shift had a real bad lag on WOT, but regardless, when it clicked into 2nd, it would roll the tires easily. The 2-3, and 3-4, shifts were lightning quick. The car backfired on the shift it was such a quick event. It rode firm, less "touring" than the comfortable GT, but not harsh. The car felt light and nimble. The interior was ergonomically very good for me, I'm 5'10" 235 and had plenty of room. Visibility was good, in fact excellent compared to my Viper! Lol.

Overall if I bought a car to go fast, I'd take the GT and put a TVS on it. That's a proven and reliable package. But if all I was going to do is exhaust and tune style mods, I'd have to say the SS is a compelling package, and I'd go that route in a second. Chevy hit a home run on this car. Time will tell if it holds up under "real" performance driving.

T.Man

Established Member
Looked like it was a good run between the 14 GT and the 16 SS. Looked like the SS pulled every time the GT shifted. The new SS is quick!

A good run? What race did you watch? The SS spun/got slightly squirrelly and then quickly came around the bolt on, ethanol tuned, drag pack 5.0 with ease. Shifting was on the money too. It simply just didn't have enough that time.

PACETTR

Established Member
A good run? What race did you watch? The SS spun/got slightly squirrelly and then quickly came around the bolt on, ethanol tuned, drag pack 5.0 with ease. Shifting was on the money too. It simply just didn't have enough that time.

What bolt-ons did the 5.0 have?

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member

I didn't know a tune and E85 were considered bolt ons.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
...pretty sure I'm gonna add a new SS to sit next to my 03' Vert.
To have a car at that price run 0-60 at 3.9 seconds from the factory is crazy.

ThomasL

Established Member
I'm impressed with the new Camaro for sure. Performs well. So I decided to stop by the local dealership and sit in one last week. It was awful. Full disclosure: I'm 6'4" ish and my head was resting uncomfortably on the headliner. Whereas in my s550 I have plenty of room and I even cruise with my kids in the backseat. So yes, the new Camaro is lighter but at what cost? It's a much smaller car and feels like it. Not in a good way. But that is just the opinion of a giant lol. Again, it performs well.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The new SS is legit. I'm gonna have to go drive one

You'll be pleasantly surprised. I test drove one about a month ago. Hyper Blue Metallic. SO different overall from the 2010 SS that I last drove. At this point, that is going to be my next car. Although it might be a 2017. Depends on what I can do to unload my 2014 Mini Cooper S this summer. I'm going to do a 24 hour test drive in June and then make my final decision.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The new Camaro is more of an over achiever than the GT350 IMO I'm excited to see the lap times for the 1LE.... Also the new ZL1......
Not that I'm a Camaro guy..... But it's the better performer compared to the S550

Last edited:

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
SS is a great car. They perform very well out of the box with a warranty and it is a huge step up from where the 5th gen came from. I think mod for mod a 2015 GT and 6th gen will be a drivers race...my FF tune and tire 5.0 ran 11.84@118 on heavy street tires and then [email protected] on my buddies car same mods but race stars. The value for Camaro vs Mustang swings to the Pony logically. Hell for $30-32k you can get a 5.0 and spend an excessive 8k on mods and still be thousands less while running mid-low 10's/high 9's.

PACETTR

Established Member
I'm impressed with the new Camaro for sure. Performs well. So I decided to stop by the local dealership and sit in one last week. It was awful. Full disclosure: I'm 6'4" ish and my head was resting uncomfortably on the headliner. Whereas in my s550 I have plenty of room and I even cruise with my kids in the backseat. So yes, the new Camaro is lighter but at what cost? It's a much smaller car and feels like it. Not in a good way. But that is just the opinion of a giant lol. Again, it performs well.

Edit: apparently the original source was incorret:

Massive difference:

..........................Camaro..........Mustang

HEADROOM, F/R 38.5/35.0 (est) in 37.6/34.8 in
LEGROOM, F/R 44.3/29.9 in 44.5/30.6 in
SHOULDER ROOM, F/R 55.0/50.4 in 56.3/52.2 in

Per GM: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro Preliminary Interior Dimensions Specs
Headroom (in / mm): 36.6 / 930 (front)
Legroom (in / mm): 42.6 / 1083 (front)

Although I'm 6'4" and if I adjust the seat properly it's not even close to touching the headliner.
Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/05...tions-of-the-2016-chevy-camaro/#ixzz41x4COqk4

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread