2016 gti

T56LS102

Established Member
Went with the fiance to look at a new dd for her, she has a 2013 Focus now and she wants something nicer, she told me she likes the GTI, I have never owned a VW before, did some research and people seam to love the GTI's, any of you guys have any experience with these? we stopped by a dealer and they have some pretty deep discounts, most likely due to dieselgate. First Impressions were really good, pretty well equipped for a base model, pics are below, talked him down to 24,300 + Tax and Lic, apple auto works seamless, like the plaid seats.

[img=http://s32.postimg.org/5y19mqge9/IMG_1146_1.jpg]

[img=http://s32.postimg.org/m67fpip35/IMG_1145_1.jpg]

[img=http://s32.postimg.org/whivffiwx/IMG_1144_1.jpg]

Last edited:

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I bought a brand new GTI back in 2008. It was a decent little car, but the ride quality sucked (18" hufs), and there were rattles in the interior after two weeks of owning the vehicle that the dealer was not able to fix. The infotainment system was also terrible. It also went through a quart of oil between changes. Also, I had the DSG and it was very herky-jerky at low speeds, to the point where in slow traffic I probably looked like somebody who just learned how to drive a manual. Overall I would never buy another VW product again.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I really enjoyed my 2013 GTI Autobahn. It was a nice place to be, good sound system, good handling, enough power, made cool turbo noises.

I have a '16 GLI currently which is a little less performance oriented, but also a great car. Considering the discounts you can get on these right now, they're a good buy for the money.

Balt21

Established Member
I had a 2012 GTI and loved it. It rode nice, had really comfortable seats/overall nice interior, the clutch is very light/easy for city driving if you decide to go manual, and it got good mpg's while still being fun to drive. If you/she are into modding, they can make decent power with bolt ons and tune, especially the newer mk7s.

I almost traded my 2012 on a new 2016 or a Golf R, but I have always wanted an STi, so i decided to go that route this time around. There is a very good chance I will own another GTI or some other VW in the future.

MachJoe

Established Member
I had a 2008 and a 2011. Both were great cars. I basically threw every mod available at the 2011 and never had an issue. If I didn't need a truck, I'd look into getting another one for a DD.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My friend has had three VW EOS's and has loved them all. I've honestly never heard anyone say they didn't like their GTI. One thing I like is the usable rear seat, unlike my Mini Cooper S. Best of all, you can get a very steep discount, as you already found out. VW's image has been tarnished by diesel-gate. And that works for you now.

T56LS102

Established Member
Thanks for the feed back guys, I wouldn't say this is a huge direction in the "nicer car" category but she likes it and she'll be driving it. Her focus now is an SE with a 5 speed, she's torn if she wants and auto or a manual, I have heard nothing but good reviews regarding the dsg trans, so far that is the only one she has driven, we'll try the manual this weekend and most likely pull the trigger then.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with a GTI, they're fun cars. A tune will really wake them up, adding about 100hp or so over stock. If you want to go further than that the S3 turbo is about $1,000 brand new and bolts right on, and you will essentially have a FWD Golf R/S3 that will make about 400hp with a tune and downpipe.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
my nephew has a 2015 GTI, its a nice little car imo, handles great, interior is nicely laid out, has decent power with the turbo, although there is a serious lack in low end, his is tuned and pulls like hell, saw a complaint on here about the sound system, my nephew's GTI has the Fender system I believe its called, imo it sounds better than the "shaker pro" 12 speaker system in my 2016 Mustang GT, so not sure what was up with his :shrugs: I wouldnt hesitate to own one as sporty daily driver

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
GTI's are cool imo. My brother has a mk5 and it was a fun car. I wouldn't mind owning one

Voltwings

Established Member
I got a buddy with an MK7, leather, sunroof... while i would never go out and buy a GTI with my own money, if it was something i had to drive every day i wouldn't be upset.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
I don't have a GTI but I will share my experience with VW. I have a 13' Passat TDI, yes diesel we know about the scandal and I don't care about it. The car itself has been great, what I do hate is every time I go in for an oil change they want to bend me over and use no lube. The first 30k miles I get free services, the 40k mile service I pay for and they service the DSG, so an oil change and DSG service they want to charge you $1200, well I am getting the transmission service right? 50k miles and just an oil change and basic service? $700. I can get 10 routine services on any ford, chevy or dodge for that price. I am really turned off on Euro cars at this point. Usually I do my own service but I have been working 60+ hours a week and just wanted to relax on my time off until I saw what they are charging. I have a '13 T&C too and it costs me ~$40 per oil change, fluids topped, etc. every 10k miles.

If you are going to buy the VW, find out how much routine service is on it, especially if your wife will be in charge of getting it done.

Users who are viewing this thread