2016 GT Coil Packs changed after 2/23/16

Joseph Land

Established Member
If you plan on installing a msd 2 step ignition module, your out of luck currently if you own a '16 GT built after 2/23/16.

The coil connectors downsized dramatically from 11-early 16 coils. As far as I know that's the only change made..

Ford parts call today proved it, said the coil part numbers changed after that date.

so i think i'll be the first new style plug 2-step recepient. lol

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-12029-M50C

• Fits all 2011-2/23/16 Mustang GT and F-150 5.0L 4V Ti-VCT Coyote Engines
  • This is a set of 8 OEM production ignition coils and bolts for a 5.0L Coyote Engine
  • Note: Does not fit engines built after 2/23/16 do to electrical connector change, including crate engines

Last edited:

Joseph Land

Established Member
20160905_003126000_iOS.jpg

Joseph Land

Established Member
Interesting. I want to check mine now. lol

If your car was manufactured after 2/23/16 it'll have the revised coil connectors.

And MSD has no solution for it yet. I talked with tech and they supposedly sent it to R&D and it could be months.

So no 2-steppin for me this year

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is the number of wires/pinout the same (ie just the size/shape of the plug changed?)

if so you should be able to find the part number for the correct size connector and order splice/repair kits. They'll have the connector with a few lengths of wire off each pin along with the stuff to make a wiring repair. De-pin them, de-pin the connectors on the MSD harness and put the new connectors on the MSD harness.

again I say that without having seen them in person but seems like a reasonably good chance it will work, just sucks that its gonna cost ya

Joseph Land

Established Member
I'd rather not cut the factory harness. But yea in that picture above the one on the left is the msd connector and the right is the coil connector. Major difference but same pinout.

Ford said the coil is the same but connector changed. The coil and harness will have to be changed over

Joseph Land

Established Member
The only option is to see if the pre- 2/23/16 harness has the big connector and still has the same pin out st the other end of the harness that plugs into the ecm.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2 step harness at home but Im drawing a blank on how its laid out but I wanst suggesting cutting the factory harness. I was saying to look into getting replacement connectors from ford, the same connectors that are on the coil pack harness, and use them on the MSD harness.

Joseph Land

Established Member
Oh ok I understand. Not a bad idea. Didn't think of that. I'm going to Ford Friday I'll see what I can do

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the dealer will likely bend you over on them but if you can get the part number try the ford parts guy on here, I think its Tasca Ford now? I know the last connector I bought was like $30 list price and my company account price was $20 or something along those lines

it might cost a fortune but its worth checking on...

Users who are viewing this thread