2016 Explorer Feedback wanted

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I am looking at 16 Explorers and I am torn between the Sport with the ecoboost or a limited with the standard 3.5 non EB.

This will be a daily driver, will tow the track bike to the track so I dont need the power to tow more. I want the luxury and comfort, sync, cameras, cooled seats, dual glass roofs etc.

What feedback does anyone have on the non EB vs EB engines? I know my parents love their 16 sport but is it necessary?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'd kick yourself if you didn't get the 3.5L EcoBoost, guarantee it.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Looking at it from a tuning/performance standpoint.
The N/A engines tuned on premium actually run almost as good as a out of the box EcoBoost!
[video]https://youtu.be/HSMOuCSP1zU[/video]
A tuned Sport feels like a SUV that is in a different price bracket all together.
[video]https://youtu.be/LQrmz_mDWT8[/video]

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I figured that too.... but didn't want to assume. If im already spending nearly 50K might as well get the EB. Now only if A Plan pricing gave me a larger discount I would be a happy camper lol.

Who do you get A-Plan through?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
This!

I love driving the Explorer, feels a lot better than the previous models and IMO doesnt feel huge like other SUV’s and love all the options. However….. if it was my DD, I wouldve gotten EcoBoost. Drove both and the Ecoboost not only is faster but has a smoother suspension IMO. Even without going WOT, you can feel the Sport climb faster and smoother. We didnt get the Sport since the one’s they had in the lot were missing some options with the blue color :nonono: wife’s request but eh she’s paying for it.

Also OP, wait for the 17 Explorer. Sync 3 is the way to go!!!

The N/A engines tuned on premium actually run almost as good as a out of the box EcoBoost!
A tuned Sport feels like a SUV that is in a different price bracket all together.
I was looking at this and was thinking of doing this, gonna have to sneak thru the wife :lol1: Biggest question of them all, is it retraceable? She got a lease on it with dealer performing oil changes, etc Last thing I need is a big void on something whenever the dealer gets their hands on it.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

Agreed.

I don't have an Explorer, but I do have a '12 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost and the motor is what sold me on the car. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Who do you get A-Plan through?

Sorry, got letters mixed up. My dad now receives Z plan and technically I would only qualify for X plan correct? My dad worked for Ford for 35 years.

My initial thought was to contact you guys lol.

This!

I love driving the Explorer, feels a lot better than the previous models and IMO doesnt feel huge like other SUV’s and love all the options. However….. if it was my DD, I wouldve gotten EcoBoost. Drove both and the Ecoboost not only is faster but has a smoother suspension IMO. Even without going WOT, you can feel the Sport climb faster and smoother. We didnt get the Sport since the one’s they had in the lot were missing some options with the blue color :nonono: wife’s request but eh she’s paying for it.

Also OP, wait for the 17 Explorer. Sync 3 is the way to go!!!

I was looking at this and was thinking of doing this, gonna have to sneak thru the wife :lol1: Biggest question of them all, is it retraceable? She got a lease on it with dealer performing oil changes, etc Last thing I need is a big void on something whenever the dealer gets their hands on it.

I was thinking of waiting for the 17 just so old stock of the 16's would come down a bit in price maybe?

Agreed.

I don't have an Explorer, but I do have a '12 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost and the motor is what sold me on the car. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I was leaning that way but thought I would ask for opinions. I guess I was looking for ways to keep the price tag down a bit. However I have never heard anyone say "I wish I bought a slower car"

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I was leaning that way but thought I would ask for opinions. I guess I was looking for ways to keep the price tag down a bit. However I have never heard anyone say "I wish I bought a slower car"

Well, drive both and you'll know if the cost is worth it or not. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with going used to save a few bucks.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well, drive both and you'll know if the cost is worth it or not. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with going used to save a few bucks.

I thought about this too. If I went used I would most likely wait and find a used 16 sport with all options. That is certainly a viable option I am kicking around.

I just sold my truck, honestly I didn't expect it to go so quick but I sold it in 2 days for more than asking after a bidding war lol. Now I'm just driving a $2500 beater and to be honest I actually like it since I don't have to care at all about anything. So I wouldn't hate it if I had to wait a bit.

xenodragon

Established Member
I have a 2013 and 2016 Sport. My 2013 is tuned and I love it. I plan on adding DPs soon too. My wife has the 2016 the power delivery on the 2016 is a lot smoother, and to be honest feels quicker than the 2013 stock vs stock.

TK Doom

Established Member
We didnt get the Sport since the one’s they had in the lot were missing some options with the blue color :nonono: wife’s request but eh she’s paying for it.

According to the web site, it doesn't come in the blue color...this annoyed me to no end while looking at them.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I have a 2013 and 2016 Sport. My 2013 is tuned and I love it. I plan on adding DPs soon too. My wife has the 2016 the power delivery on the 2016 is a lot smoother, and to be honest feels quicker than the 2013 stock vs stock.

That is good to know. Is there anything else you like more about the 16 than the 13? I would really prefer a 16 due to the looks.

According to the web site, it doesn't come in the blue color...this annoyed me to no end while looking at them.

I think because the sport leather seats have red stiching is the reason it doesn't come in blue, which would be contrasting with the seats.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I haven't driven the Sport but just the difference from the newest iteration to the last driving feel wise is amazing. The steering feels numb compared to the tight, nimble feel of the 16s.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

If you want the Sport power and the Blue Jeans color, you need to step up to the Platinum Explorer.

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
My wife has the 2016 Sport - she wanted more for it's looks than the "sport" aspect to it, but I can tell you after driving many non-Ecoboost explorers you will be very disappointed if you don't go the "Sport" route. It looks good, performs well, but the only problem is it does like gas.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
That completely blows! Then my dealer guy must’ve confused it with the 4 cyl Ecoobost. They had a crapload of white Sport’s, looked nice but not a fan of it at all. Even after driving it, we both agreed that the white wasn’t going to work.

Blue Jeans Metallic is a beautiful color! Very rare seeing it on the road. Don’t understand why Ford didnt bring it to the Sport.

I was thinking of waiting for the 17 just so old stock of the 16's would come down a bit in price maybe?
Well that is just my preference. I tried the Sync 3 on the newer Ford’s and it is much easier, faster, smoother. Sync 2 is a bit nicer looking but that’s about it. If you dont care much about the UI or that aspect, then Sync 2 should be fine. I don’t hate it but don’t love it, I prefer the iDrive from my BMW.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
White Explorer Sports look like Police SUV's lol

The Platinum looks really good in the Blue Jeans.

Users who are viewing this thread