2015's going to lose any weight??

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The mustang is bigger and is adding things like the irs which typically add weight. Plus Ford did not mention it at all, just like the did not mention that this car was going to be smaller.

No its not going to lose significant weight. Yes the car is going to be faster as they have already stated the track pack GT is faster on track than the Boss Laguna Seca Edition Mustang on track. This is Damn impressive!:beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The car is not bigger in any dimension besides width. It is losing weight.

Are you sure? .2 inch shorter and 1.5 inches wider. I would say that is a bigger car.

If it was it would have been presented upon introduction! Just as they showcased that the 11 GT500 lossed 100lbs!

Last edited:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
You really believe that? :bash:

I don't know what to believe since I don't know the specs. Ford has failed us in the past. Not every mustang was greater than its past model.

Among other things, the 25 -30 extra hp the '15 will get will insure that the newer model will be improved in EVERY WAY over the older model. Jesus Christ, give your head a shake lad. Or at least think before you post.

Unfortunately I can see Ford adding 25-30 extra horsepower to make up for the weight gain of the IRS.

If the mustang is losing weight it is doing so to make up for gaining 100 pounds from the IRS.

A 3300-3400 pound mustang would be great, but I'm certain it will remain at 3600-3700 pounds until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

jes_csx

Established Member
Are you sure? .2 inch shorter and 1.5 inches wider. I would say that is a bigger car.

If it was it would have been presented upon introduction! Just as they showcased that the 11 GT500 lossed 100lbs!

And everyone knows it. Ford said nothing on the weight of the mustang.

And 1.5 inches lower. 2 of three dimensions are smaller.
I would say that qualifies as "not bigger in any dimension besides width" as I stated.

No, they wouldn't have if they didn't have any real #'s. The car was unveiled sooner then planned. There are lots of details they have chosen not to release yet.
The '11 GT500 means nothing. They had a legit production car weight and all they had to do were figure in the engine and wheel savings. They were not caught up in the process of tooling up for an entirely new car and waiting on the weights of production ready parts from suppliers.
The F150 doesn't have a massive upcoming 50th anniversary celebration that coincides with the official launch of the new model. If they didn't give us the real specs in dec when when we got our first look, why wouldn't they wait for april and release them with the performance specs?
What we've seen so far are prototypes, or extremely accurate to production "concept cars". They have all been hand built and are a ways off from production spec.
I really don't care to argue this anymore… lets just wait until april.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I agree what others have said, if the car was loseing any substatial weight Ford would be talking about it!
As I mentioned earlier, a year ago Chevy said the C7 would be lighter than the C6... it in fact ended up heavier. Lets hope the reason Ford stopped talking weight lose isnt because the car isnt actually loseing weight.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I don't expect it to be any lighter, either. The dimensions just don't support it, not to mention added equipment and safety standards. If there's any weight loss, it's probably not worth mentioning ( <100 pounds) and might even be heavier. But like I said in another thread, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!

t01lightning

Established Member
It will be lighter right around 3350. A Ford rep recently said on evolution that they are aggressively targeting the weight goal.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
But what is the goal? Have they publicly said it? They could be targeting 10 pounds less than the current car or the SAME as the current car. You have to be wary of double-speak.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
And 1.5 inches lower. 2 of three dimensions are smaller.
I would say that qualifies as "not bigger in any dimension besides width" as I stated.

No, they wouldn't have if they didn't have any real #'s. The car was unveiled sooner then planned. There are lots of details they have chosen not to release yet.

1.5 inches lower from ground to top. What is the difference from floor to top?
Or maybe you have this, what is the overall square inches of the sheet metal?

If it weighed less Ford would have announced it. It does not weigh significantly less, otherwise Ford would have announced it.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
It will be lighter right around 3350. A Ford rep recently said on evolution that they are aggressively targeting the weight goal.

IF the mustang weigh's 3350 and has 450 horsepower+IRS then this will be the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all time) mustang. The corvette will have to watch it's back then.

However I will believe it when I see it.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
1.5 inches lower from ground to top. What is the difference from floor to top?
Or maybe you have this, what is the overall square inches of the sheet metal?

If it weighed less Ford would have announced it. It does not weigh significantly less, otherwise Ford would have announced it.

they haven't released a lot yet....you can't say that. we don't even know hp.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It's not significantly lighter. 3350 would be a 250lb loss. Not happening! Those in the know are mentioning how the vette gained weight while laughing at the magazine reports of the 200-400 supposed mustang weight loss.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
IF the mustang weigh's 3350 and has 450 horsepower+IRS then this will be the G.O.A.T. (Greatest of all time) mustang. The corvette will have to watch it's back then.

However I will believe it when I see it.

I have a hard time believing the 2015+ Mustang is ever going to weigh less or the same as the Viper or Corvette.

chancejat

Established Member
i seem to remember 4-5 years ago when everyone was denying the 400hp plus 5.0l rumors....hmm, how'd that turn out, i definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a 200-ish pound loss.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
i seem to remember 4-5 years ago when everyone was denying the 400hp plus 5.0l rumors....hmm, how'd that turn out, i definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a 200-ish pound loss.

400hp 5.0 sounds a lot more reasonable than shaving off 200lbs.

We shall see, but, I doubt it's going to be drastic.

Ford reps tell you anything you want to believe.

Krace

Established Member
God I hope not! If that's the case, 2014 sales will go through the roof.

Just picked up my newly built (feb 19th 2014) 2014 GT auto premium... I have a feeling that we will see a 45k+ price tag for the new Stang. I think the car to get for the time being, is going to be the last few 2014s. I may look into getting one in 2017 though after the bugs are worked out. Also im not a fan of the IRS, once i see it hit the track with 600+ whp and not pooping the rear end ill be more than happy to own one someday.

Last edited:

specizripn

Established Member
Ford said there will be a drag strip dedicated version, maybe it was the cobra jet I can't remember, with a built 9 inch. Maybe it wont require much fabrication to install one :shrug: Hell maybe Ford racing will have a kit for that:??:

RTD

Established Member

I don't see how that's possible. Dimensions are almost identical. Any weight savings from the new front suspension will be more than made up for by the heavier IRS. The aluminum front fenders and hood are good for maybe 60-70 lbs of savings, but you have updated safety standards and a nicer interior. I could see it maybe being 50 lbs lighter than current, but it's probably going to be about dead even with current.

Users who are viewing this thread