2015 Shelby GT350R First Ride

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Reading that article and doing a little more research on the GT350 and GT350R make me want one:/. I may do it if I have the chance in 2017, a GT350 with the Track Pack or Electronics pack should not be any more than $52K-$53K or so MSRP. I used to want a Boss because it was a road course oriented Mustang... the GT350 makes me want one of those instead. 8200 RPM's and a FPC... I want one!

barstoolman

Established Member
You know, I remember years ago when the S197 chassis first came out that I commented that one day Ford would build a Mustang that would be comparable to a Porsche 911. Everybody laughed at me, called me stupid, crazy, a fool, etc. Who's laughing now bitches?!? Not only have they built one that is comparable to a 911, they've also built one that is comparable to Porsche's top dog track car! (Although, we still have to see what independent tests reveal.)

Steve, how was the noise in the R? Without any trunk lining, I imagine it's pretty noisy out back. Would it be acceptable to whiny people as a street car?

As a Mustang lover, who currently has the GT 50th Anniversary Model and has had both a 2008 Shelby GT 500 and a 2012 Boss 302, the plain truth is, these cars cannot match up with the way a Porsche drives and handles........they are in 2 different universes. I've had a 2011 Boxster Spyder (world's ahead of the 3 Mustangs I mentioned) along with a Cayman R and the Porsches just smoke them on the Big Track at Willow Springs as well as The Streets of Willow.

Again, I love Mustangs and love Porsches..........2 entirely different driving experiences.

Cheers

krt22

Established Member
Reading that article and doing a little more research on the GT350 and GT350R make me want one:/. I may do it if I have the chance in 2017, a GT350 with the Track Pack or Electronics pack should not be any more than $52K-$53K or so MSRP. I used to want a Boss because it was a road course oriented Mustang... the GT350 makes me want one of those instead. 8200 RPM's and a FPC... I want one!

MSRP on those cars are already 56.5 and 57.5k (base car is 50k after destination and gas guzzler tax). Ford increased MSRP on the boss 302s between 2012 and 2013 and could do the same for the GT350

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
As a Mustang lover, who currently has the GT 50th Anniversary Model and has had both a 2008 Shelby GT 500 and a 2012 Boss 302, the plain truth is, these cars cannot match up with the way a Porsche drives and handles........they are in 2 different universes. I've had a 2011 Boxster Spyder (world's ahead of the 3 Mustangs I mentioned) along with a Cayman R and the Porsches just smoke them on the Big Track at Willow Springs as well as The Streets of Willow.

Again, I love Mustangs and love Porsches..........2 entirely different driving experiences.

Cheers

But you haven't driven a GT350. Of course they are two different driving experiences as none of us want Ford to just copy Porsche. You obviously have some experience in both brands of vehicles, but frankly the GT350 has elements that a Mustang has never seen in the past which means you cant quite comment yet on how it will compare. I've ripped around in a GT3 before and I know what dynamic you are talking about, but you still have to withhold judgement.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member

Cheers

As an owner of a Porsche 911 Carrera S and a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca I can tell you that you are actually wrong. The Boss runs circles around most Porsches on the track.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm glad you two guys said something because I really didn't want to have to try to explain that to somebody with their nose in the air. In a nutshell, driving experience does not go hand-in-hand with performance. svtfocus2cobra posted exactly what was on my mind. How the heck can you even presume to cast judgement on the GT350R's driving dynamics when 1) it's not even available for anybody to drive yet and 2) it's unlike any Mustang Ford has ever built?? :??: Don't get your panties in a bunch. Nobody's suggesting the GT350R will have more panache or intangible badge cachet than a GT3!

krt22

Established Member
I'm glad you two guys said something because I really didn't want to have to try to explain that to somebody with their nose in the air. In a nutshell, driving experience does not go hand-in-hand with performance. svtfocus2cobra posted exactly what was on my mind. How the heck can you even presume to cast judgement on the GT350R's driving dynamics when 1) it's not even available for anybody to drive yet and 2) it's unlike any Mustang Ford has ever built?? :??: Don't get your panties in a bunch. Nobody's suggesting the GT350R will have more panache or intangible badge cachet than a GT3!
Which is exactly why I want it:coolman:

And saying which car is faster at a normal track day is more based on the driver than anything else. Sans a professionals and very experienced hot shoes, most track day enthusiasts will be WELL off pace of what either car is capable of. However a smaller/less powerful car may be easier for a less experienced driver to pilot

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Looks like the 2015's are coming off the line now...

assembly%20line.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread