2015 Shelby GT350R First Ride

EditorTurner

Established Member
0 2015 Shelby GT350R First Ride Featured.jpg
Shotgun in the Shelby
After hot laps in the Shelby GT350R, we can say Carroll would be proud
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Strapped into the Shelby GT350R for the first time, the anticipation is intense. Our drivers cycle through the driving modes with each lap, and each lap gets quicker. The Hummingbird is flying around the 2-mile Grattan Raceway in Western Michigan and its numerous improvements are proving their worth. The suspension gobbles up the uneven surfaces, the power pushes us back into the seat, and the grip—oh the grip—is amazing.
Continue reading →

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I'm surprised they are already talking about the comp lapping.

Headline is GT350R and 991 GT3 turned the identical lap time, GT350R waxed Z28, and GT350 Track Pack turned the same lap as C7 Z51. And that is on a very short course.

I'm psyched to get this car.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Headline is GT350R and 991 GT3 turned the identical lap time, GT350R waxed Z28, and GT350 Track Pack turned the same lap as C7 Z51. And that is on a very short course.

It looks like Ford has decided to play the comparison game too. I really thought that was a sacred area to them (me being cynical lol).

bpmurr

Established Member
Where does the GT350 with the Tech pack and base version fall performance wise?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It looks like Ford has decided to play the comparison game too. I really thought that was a sacred area to them (me being cynical lol).

Ford has always benchmarked competitor cars. They just don't base their marketing and promotions around bullshit hero laps. They've already run these cars together at numerous tracks, so I assume Baldori made the comments primarily because they were just at Grattan with the whole lot last week.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ford didn't specifically list lap times at the ring because there isn't an official way to time or track the actual laps. Some do bridge to gantry, and weather is also the biggest factor. If one manufacturer rents the track for the clearer week of the entire year, their times are easily capable of being 7-15 seconds per lap faster.

The ring is not an easy track to compare times with. It's so technical and complex that the average semi experienced driver would maybe run 8:30-9:00 in a z06 on it at a 6-7/10th pace.

It's also a spitting contest not worth getting wrapped up in. Ford can test at 5-10 North American tracks over 3 months for likely the price of testing for 2 weeks at the Nurburgring.

These are assumptions, but I flatly hold them unless proven otherwise.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You know, I remember years ago when the S197 chassis first came out that I commented that one day Ford would build a Mustang that would be comparable to a Porsche 911. Everybody laughed at me, called me stupid, crazy, a fool, etc. Who's laughing now bitches?!? Not only have they built one that is comparable to a 911, they've also built one that is comparable to Porsche's top dog track car! (Although, we still have to see what independent tests reveal.)

Steve, how was the noise in the R? Without any trunk lining, I imagine it's pretty noisy out back. Would it be acceptable to whiny people as a street car?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

These things move out...
image.jpg

DrTriton

Established Member
Very impressive car - several years ago I had the opportunity to ride shot-gun in a new (at the time) track-prepped Mustang around the Ford Dearborn proving grounds with one of their Tier 3 drivers. To do that again in this car (with a Z28 also on track :rolling:) would be amazing :D

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Great article! Also I couldn't help but think and chuckle that the picture of the Yellow R has a similar stance to the New Edge body styles when they were stationary from the wheel gap

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I wonder if those Recaros would fit inside the S197. They look like a better match than the ones that were offered.

speedrx

Established Member
I remember when Ford was testing the Boss against their target car - BMW M3, looks like they are stepping up their targets for the GT350R. Very impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread