2015 mustang weight

dmichaels

Established Member
From a technical perspective, it's easy to lose the weight. Balancing cost is the hard part!

Interested to see if they announce anything today

S3XPanther

Established Member
That would certainly give a lot of more expensive cars a serious run for their money. However, I don't think the S550 has undergone such drastic construction changes from the S197 as the new F150 has. 200lbs. (if that) seems more reasonable.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think we'll be lucky to see a 50# reduction for the GT. Two aluminum front fenders ain't saving much weight on a unibody car.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to actually see a small gain. Ford would already be bragging to high hell if they shed anything worth mentioning (ala F150). It still has to sell for $20K, so don't hold your breath for lots of exotic materials. There's not 750K units @ ~$5-10K of profit each like the F150 to work with to justify the capital outlay required to produce an aluminum bodied stang.

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I think the Mustang is a great candidate for weight savings from a Ford management perspective for a variety of reasons:

1) mpg standards
2 performance
3) lower cost of aluminum which will likely be used extensively in the lineup going forward, helping to amortize the cost.

But I wouldn't expect ford to teach Chevy how to build a new camaro to answer the 'stang any earlier than they already have to. They've already given Chevy a target to shoot for.

And IF the Mustang is truly all new as they are saying (Ford said this in 1994 and it wasn't true), then it would have given them numerous ways to save weight from the ground up, not just body panels.

I guess we will have a short wait to find out.

Even if the weight stays the same at launch, I wouldn't rule out a significant drop as soon as the next camaro enters production, similar to GM taping out the camaro only to have to "650 hp" (at the time) bomb drop.

But... It seems like Ford already has their sights set higher.

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well I guess we will see. It was already said that the Detroit show was going to be for the F150, so no real news on the Mustang is not surprising. The fact they have set this new build up, I would not be surprised if the Mustang is able to have this done as well.

Info should come soon, so I guess we will know then what is what.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
What makes you say that? So far what has been released about the new cars shows nothing new and nothing ambitious...

FMC stated they are no longer using the Camaro for a comparison and have set their sights much higher. The used the M3 and 911 for benchmarks regarding the new suspension.

A 300hp 4cyl and IRS throughout all models is new for 2015.

darreng505

Established Member
FMC stated they are no longer using the Camaro for a comparison and have set their sights much higher. The used the M3 and 911 for benchmarks regarding the new suspension.

A 300hp 4cyl and IRS throughout all models is new for 2015.

I know that stuff is new for Mustang. Not anywhere else.
If Ford doesn't or won't have a corvette class car. Abandoned all current svt vehicles. No longer using camaro as a benchmark...etc..etc....what's left?

It seems...so far...we get nothing. Not a vision. Not a plan. Not a muscle car. No track car. Just rumors and a F150.....what a cop out Ford...

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
If Ford doesn't or won't have a corvette class car. Abandoned all current svt vehicles. No longer using camaro as a benchmark...etc..etc....what's left?

It seems...so far...we get nothing. Not a vision. Not a plan. Not a muscle car. No track car. Just rumors and a F150.....what a cop out Ford...

The bare minimum has been released on the new platform and you are calling it a fail? Why should they rush to the media to release their load so the competition can catch up, and who said that they abandoned the SVT vehicles?

Husker

Established Member

Sounds like they plan on something-->:beer:

From Q&A with Dave Pericak

Q: 2015 marks the 50th anniversary of the Shelby GT350, is it time for something special?

A: Right now we're enjoying the brand new Mustang, so I would ask you to stay tuned. The Mustang is going to continue to do what it's always done, which is to provide a steed for every need.

Interview

darreng505

Established Member
The bare minimum has been released on the new platform and you are calling it a fail? Why should they rush to the media to release their load so the competition can catch up, and who said that they abandoned the SVT vehicles?

Catch up? Ford is falling behind. Is that a strategy?
Z/28 and Z06 get announced a full year before availability. Etc.

It wouldn't kill Ford to make some kind of announcement and teaser pic. But we don't get that. So when? Meanwhile other brands are releasing real cars...yes. so far its a fail because I see nothing to get excited about from my brand .

Asking consumers to be patient is like asking kids to sit still on a roller coaster. Thats why chevy announces their cars way in advance -- loyalty reasons.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Catch up? Ford is falling behind. Is that a strategy?
Z/28 and Z06 get announced a full year before availability. Etc.

It wouldn't kill Ford to make some kind of announcement and teaser pic. But we don't get that. So when? Meanwhile other brands are releasing real cars...yes. so far its a fail because I see nothing to get excited about from my brand .

Asking consumers to be patient is like asking kids to sit still on a roller coaster. Thats why chevy announces their cars way in advance -- loyalty reasons.

Falling behind..? Ford is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were years back with products across their entire line up. Ford generally does not have a specialty car the same model year as a redesign, so I don't think that they are letting anyone down. IMO, they are building hype on the base platform and will release their specialty model down the road as they have in past.

BTW, even the chevy guys aren't overly excited about the "Z/28" with its 75k price tag and its lack of A/C or stereo at that price.

Back on topic: It will be nice to see at least a 200lb savings with the rumored increased horsepower.

germeezy1

Established Member
Keep in mind everyone that those early weight reduction rumors accompanied New Edge size rumors which we now know to be incorrect. As SID297 said it would be crazy to expect any weight savings on a car with more standard equipment that is almost exactly the same size. Also Ford says 500-700 lb weight savings on the F150, and we have no idea what trims or styles will have that much weight savings. Land Rover went to an all aluminum Range Rover, and said 900 lb weight savings but the real number model to model is 200-300 lbs.

germeezy1

Established Member
Falling behind..? Ford is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were years back with products across their entire line up. Ford generally does not have a specialty car the same model year as a redesign, so I don't think that they are letting anyone down. IMO, they are building hype on the base platform and will release their specialty model down the road as they have in past.

BTW, even the chevy guys aren't overly excited about the "Z/28" with its 75k price tag and its lack of A/C or stereo at that price.

Back on topic: It will be nice to see at least a 200lb savings with the rumored increased horsepower.

Ford has fallen behind unless you consider 3 solid years as the best car in the segment that sells the 2nd best as an achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread