2015+ F-150 Lariat or 2014+ GMC Sierra SLT?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
So the time will be coming soon to upgrade trucks. I currently have a 2010 dodge 1500 and absolutely hate it. The eco block with the 5.7 hemi is an absolute garbage setup. The truck has more rattles coming from underneath it than any vehicle I've ever heard before. It has literally been nothing but problems from day 1, and I probably won't ever own another Dodge again because of the sour taste this one has left me with.

The toss up is between a 15+ F-150 Lariat or a 14+ GMC Sierra SLT. From the looking I have a done, the GMC can be had for about the same or cheaper than the F-150. I have found some with less than 40k miles for low 30's, which to me seems like a hell of a deal for that truck.

I have not ridden in or driven the 15+ F-150's, but while I was working in Texas I had a 14' as a company vehicle. It was a decent truck. The technology was "meh," and the road noise/comfort was "meh" as well. Not extremely impressive but not bad either. It was a v6.

I recently drove a buddies 15' Chevy 1500 all-star edition, and that truck was in a totally different ball game. It was ridiculously quiet, the stereo had great sound, and the all around comfort of the truck was just fantastic. It had a ton of great options for just being a step above a base model, and even got decent fuel economy. It had the v8.

With either truck I will be getting the v8. I've got to be able to tow with it, and it's just nice to always have the extra power. I don't want to judge the 15+ based on the 14' that I had, because the new F-150's are a completely different platform.

I come to you guys looking for honest & unbiased ownership reviews and first hand comparisons. Let me know what you think the better truck would be and why! Which has the better technology, comfort features, towing ability, fuel economy etc. I am also open to other options as well. If you own or have owned a different truck, let me know.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Vote for the F150, just can't stand the square ass wheel wells on GM trucks, nor the quality of the interior trim pieces, they just don't hold up.

Zemedici

Established Member
Listen to my man Dave here ^^

Hell my dad got an 'XLT' F150 and its still nice. My brother's FX4 is sick.

Plus the LED Lights <3

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 15 3.5EB F150 Lariat FX4 Screw and had a 15 5.0 F150 XLT and the Coyote felt sluggish. Just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I really like the new Chevy looks, but I'm not sure if the 14's are the exact same body style(if they did a minor refresh since then).

Overall, I think the 15+ F-150 is an excellent truck. Gets good MPG, quality of interior had a nice jump from the 09-14's and the 5.0 is a stout engine.

I've only driven the 15+ F-150, so I can't compare it with the Silverado. But, I was very impressed with it.

PC03GT

Established Member
I have a 15 f150 EB lariat, I have no complaints. It has a ton of room, nice seats, and decent power for a big ass truck

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I think most of you missed the fact that which ever truck he buys will be a V8. So we're looking at a 5.0 vs the 5.3 or 6.2?

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I recently picked up a GMC half ton Denali after driving all half tons on the market. The F150 was nice and a close 2nd but GMC has really stepped their game up with not only fit and finish but the 6.2L is an absolute MONSTER!

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Mine has good power (5.3) but I would kill for that 6.2. Light to light the 5.slow boys have seen nothing but taillights from me. Th F150 is definitely a better looking truck though. I hate he AFM but it can be tuned out and full bolt on trucks are putting out good numbers. If you get the GMC make sure to get the 3.42 gears. The 3.08 trucks are dogs.

bigblue95z

Established Member
I've been doing my research on the same thing. I've been gunning for a Sierra Denali with the 6.2 (5.3 feels underpowered) for a number of months. They look fantastic and I think look a little better inside and out than the F150. But, I've joined several Facebook groups around GM Trucks and it seems they are having a TON of issues with the 8 speed auto in them. They're shaking really bad at speed, shifting hard, etc. And it's really hit or miss on dealers actually fixing the issue or calling the behavior 'normal'. After reading all the horror stories, I'm leaning toward the 2017 F150 w/3.5tt. It's the only one so far with the 10 speed trans. May contemplate the 5.0 if it makes it's way there soon.

Maybe I'll change my mind. I currently have a 2000 Silverado w/250,000 miles and it still runs like a top. Same with a 2002 Tahoe I sold that had over 300,000 miles and went 120 miles daily.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Mine has good power (5.3) but I would kill for that 6.2. Light to light the 5.slow boys have seen nothing but taillights from me. Th F150 is definitely a better looking truck though. I hate he AFM but it can be tuned out and full bolt on trucks are putting out good numbers. If you get the GMC make sure to get the 3.42 gears. The 3.08 trucks are dogs.

I hate the AFM and DOD stuff too. Those goddamn DOD lifters can really get to clacking on cold starts. My wifes Tahoe (previous gen) sounds horrible until its warmed up. I am contemplating do the AFM/DOD delete kit, putting in a mild cam while in there.

In all honesty I will probably trade it for a newer ecoboost expedition.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't own either of those trucks, but if you're going V8, I say the F150 all day long. The GMC SLT is nice and all, but seems like it's too refined, unless that's what you're looking for. The Ford looks/seems a lot more sporty, in my opinion. Plus, upgrades galore! :)
Good luck!

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I've had a 15' GMC Sierra SCrew with the Carbon 22 package for about a year now. Daily drive it and overall am pleased with it. Ride comfort is good but with the bigger wheels it has a slightly rougher ride. I am extremely impressed with MPG. I drive about 40-50 miles round trip daily. Avg speed of 58 and get about 22-23 pretty religiously. (That's with the 5.3 stock motor)

I had always owned f150's before then. Their are things that I liked about the ford better for sure and I thought at the time my Ford was slightly better ride comfort wise. Last one I had I bought new in 2006 so obviously trucks have come even farther technology wise since then so I don't know if that's even a fair comparison.

I will say this though, I like others, searched all major parties truck wise and found that I could get a lot better bang for buck option wise going with the GMC vs the Ford. I like the ONSTAR app for my phone (Allows me lock / unlock / remote start from my phone with no set distance. I even tested it from about 900 miles away once just because lol) Truck also came with built in Nav as well which was a harder option to find with the Fords.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I don't own either of those trucks, but if you're going V8, I say the F150 all day long. The GMC SLT is nice and all, but seems like it's too refined, unless that's what you're looking for. The Ford looks/seems a lot more sporty, in my opinion. Plus, upgrades galore! :)
Good luck!

Aren’t you a Ram R/T owner?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Aren’t you a Ram R/T owner?
I wish!! lol Close though. The R/T model is rwd only. My truck is the 4X4 version of that truck, minus the 22's and other minor exterior changes. I have the Sport version. My second Ram truck. (I didn't mention it as the OP doesn't want/like Ram trucks.)

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I wish!! lol Close though. The R/T model is rwd only. My truck is the 4X4 version of that truck, minus the 22's and other minor exterior changes. I have the Sport version. My second Ram truck. (I didn't mention it as the OP doesn't want/like Ram trucks.)

Gotcha. Badass interior in those trucks.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Gotcha. Badass interior in those trucks.
Yes sir. The best in my opinion. I love the seats and the feel of the steering wheel.
I love the fact that I when I use the remote start and it's under 40 degrees outside, the truck will automatically turn on the heated steering wheel/heated seat/heated outside mirrors, regardless of where the settings are left when exiting the truck. When it is over 80 degrees, the truck will automatically turn on the a/c, regardless of where the controls were previously set upon exiting vehicle. Did I mention the interior is awesome? lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread