2014 Shelby GT500 - Connecting rods

"Safe" power level for factory/stock connecting rods.

• 600-650rwhp

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 650-700rwhp

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • 700-730rwhp

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bad Company

Established Member
So, rather than create a new thread I thought I'd piggyback on this one, which is a great thread BTW.

Say I want to upgrade my rods because I know they're the supposed weak point of the Trinity, what is involved in doing that and do I/should I also upgrade the pistons?

Is this something I could go to my tuner, Lidio, and ask him to upgrade my rods and pistons?

This thread has been great to learn that I'm pretty safe going up to 700whp, but I am interested in how beneficial it would be to upgrade the rods and pistons.
This question in your post equates to a complete rebuild of the engine. Any aftermarket rod will have a difference in how much it weighs both in overall weight, big end weight and wrist pin end weight. This immediately forces you to have to rebalance the crankshaft counterweights to match the new rods to keep the engine alive. If you're that deep into it then I'd just build the bottom end up to be able to support a much higher Hp level

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
This question in your post equates to a complete rebuild of the engine. Any aftermarket rod will have a difference in how much it weighs both in overall weight, big end weight and wrist pin end weight. This immediately forces you to have to rebalance the crankshaft counterweights to match the new rods to keep the engine alive. If you're that deep into it then I'd just build the bottom end up to be able to support a much higher Hp level
Okay, thank you for the info.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So, rather than create a new thread I thought I'd piggyback on this one, which is a great thread BTW.

Say I want to upgrade my rods because I know they're the supposed weak point of the Trinity, what is involved in doing that and do I/should I also upgrade the pistons?

Is this something I could go to my tuner, Lidio, and ask him to upgrade my rods and pistons?

This thread has been great to learn that I'm pretty safe going up to 700whp, but I am interested in how beneficial it would be to upgrade the rods and pistons.
You can do what I did and do the JDM engineering upgraded rods and pistons

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
You can do what I did and do the JDM engineering upgraded rods and pistons

Thanks!

So basically, buy that kit and then I'd pay the installation and tuning costs?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks!

So basically, buy that kit and then I'd pay the installation and tuning costs?
I would recommend you send your engine to JDM engineering and have them install the parts. Either way, it'll be pricey. I paid around 18k for my engine with upgraded cams and all valve train components. If you don't want upgraded cams, that will save you a good amount.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I would recommend you send your engine to JDM engineering and have them install the parts. Either way, it'll be pricey. I paid around 18k for my engine with upgraded cams and all valve train components. If you don't want upgraded cams, that will save you a good amount.

To piggy back...
If I sent my car to JDM this month, around $23k is what it takes to sit at the table and play. (Not including shipping)

That's the engine R/I, built motor, street cams, retuned, 900rwhp on 93.
I think redline is increased to 7400, but don't quote me.
Currently auctioning a kidney on ebay with no reserve

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
To piggy back...
If I sent my car to JDM this month, around $23k is what it takes to sit at the table and play. (Not including shipping)

That's the engine R/I, built motor, street cams, retuned, 900rwhp on 93.
I think redline is increased to 7400, but don't quote me.
Currently auctioning a kidney on ebay with no reserve
Yea, that's way more than I want to pay.

Think I'll focus on tweaking a little more horsepower and also work on the suspension.

MustangSteve1965

Established Member
JDM sent my 5.8 shortblock to Lidio and they assembled the rest.
Alternative auto can do it but I don’t think you need that upgrade yet.
-J
Thanks and no.

I don't think I'll be adding much more HP but then again, doesn't everyone say that? LOL!

I need to call him and get the rear gear done and see how it performs with that and these new tires.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Buy some forged components and do it yourself. I had the local machine shop balance my factory coyote crank to Manly HTUFF rods and Mahle 2618 pistons.

Bought all new Ford gaskets and seals from Tasca. Assembled myself. Easy money

The mod motor goes together really easily.

Users who are viewing this thread