2013 up...closed loop at WOT?

LT1BIRD

Established Member
2013 up...closed loop at WOT? With the wideband 02 sensors I am wondering if the car runs closed loop all the time and at WOT? Can someone post up that knows!
Thanks

Imatk

Established Member
2013 up...closed loop at WOT? With the wideband 02 sensors I am wondering if the car runs closed loop all the time and at WOT? Can someone post up that knows!
Thanks

I always thought the car ran in an open loop at WOT.

But maybe I have it reversed.

The car shouldn't run at an open or closed loop all the time.

It WILL run that way at WOT because the 02 sensors are basically ignored when the engine is under load.

The computer delivers fuel faster and ignores the 02 to protect the engine at WOT so it's totally normal.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
New cars (including the Coyote) use the factory widebands 100% of the time. This makes WOT tuning less of a "shot in the dark", allowing tuners to specify a lambda value.

Imatk

Established Member
New cars (including the Coyote) use the factory widebands 100% of the time. This makes WOT tuning less of a "shot in the dark", allowing tuners to specify a lambda value.

Ahhh did not know that :)

So this is not normal I guess :/

LT1BIRD

Established Member
widebands are awsome, thats why i am thinking closed loop all the time...why not??..... no one knows for sure??? anyone??

LT1BIRD

Established Member
so no one on this forum know this...hmm.... anyone know what forum I might go to to find this out? maybe a tuning company you can point me to?

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Lots of people here can help you out. I would have a little more patience then the 8 minutes between your last two posts. Most of us have other things in our lives that take up a little bit of our time. I am on most forums. You won't get more information than you will here FYI.

Personally, I don't even know what the hell you are talking about. I get in, turn the key and press the go pedal. If it moves, im smiles, if it doesn't, I call the maximum velocity poster and complain until its fixed.

Good luck with your issue though. It sounds serious.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Lots of people here can help you out. I would have a little more patience then the 8 minutes between your last two posts. Most of us have other things in our lives that take up a little bit of our time. I am on most forums. You won't get more information than you will here FYI.

Personally, I don't even know what the hell you are talking about. I get in, turn the key and press the go pedal. If it moves, im smiles, if it doesn't, I call the maximum velocity poster and complain until its fixed.

Good luck with your issue though. It sounds serious.

Nice! We should have that made into a bumper sticker.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
It was not 8 minutes..different day there bubba gump... well, maybe someone will post up some useful info?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Call Lund racing or VMP tuning, not sure myself and not sure why it's important to you but I'm glad we have factory wide bands.
-J

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
It was not 8 minutes..different day there bubba gump... well, maybe someone will post up some useful info?

Lol, :lol:

He just called me a black shrimper from 'Bama.

You are sooo close on this, really.:thumbsup:

You are right though. I misread your time stamps. Sorry.:loser:

You still came off like kind of a dick though from your post. So I retract the one statement, but not the underlying sarcasm.

Lighten up dude. It's the Internet.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
dubb.... :bs: bubba shrimp LOL...thanks for the humor!

Ill call one of those tuners... I am working on a dry nitrous setup.. seems like the maf is adding way to much fuel... goes into limp mode after it goes pig rich...Looks like I will spray before and after the maf to fine tune how much fuel gets added via the maf. I am wondering how much fuel the o2 sensors will add at WOT if in closed loop... I really think if it stayed closed look at WOT you could simply do a pully swap with no tune...But that does not seem to be what anyone does...
So, ive got lots of little questions i have no idea what the factory computer is doing. I need to pick someones brain...
Oh well, ill post what I find ;)

LT1BIRD

Established Member
Well, i sprayed 15hp before the maf and 60hp after the maf... 75hp total.. worked perfect... a/f was 10.5 through a few gears... now i will up it to 100hp... then 125hp... etc..
gt500_dry_nozzles1.JPG

gt500_dry_nozzles2.JPG

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Subscribing. I'd like to know for sure also. In addition....adaptives still work at WOT. IE...make a small airflow change...will the fuel trims change the measured lambda after so long?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Subscribing. I'd like to know for sure also. In addition....adaptives still work at WOT. IE...make a small airflow change...will the fuel trims change the measured lambda after so long?

I also would wonder if adaptive tuning is turned off with tunes.
I have a Lund tune, these guys are smart and do a ton of new Mustangs, I would hope the commanded A/F at WOT is locked.
My aftermarket FAST XFI has adaptive tuning, but it can also be turned off or limited only to an allowable % change.
Never heard of any of that with the SCT/OEM ECU.
-J

LT1BIRD

Established Member
My gut feel is that there is a fine balance act...if any of them go to far out of wack it throws a code. I still do not know if its closed loop..... based on how much fuel was added the first few runs....there will be plenty there for 125hp... Now, is the computer going to see anything weird going on...I do not think so! I should have time tomorrow to do 100hp. Keep you posted ;)

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Adaptive will be on. At WOT, it's taking all the fuel and spark you can throw at it until knock and/or heat intervenes. So, it isn't "learning" anything at that point.
It's learning at idle, transition and cruise.

LT1BIRD

Established Member
ok, tried the 100 shot today... it pulled hard but i thought i heard some detonation so i backed off... on my last car I use to hear the same thing but it was just the rocks coming out of the tires due to the extra force on them... but with this car I need to be more careful. I guess ill fill the bottle again and get the scan tool out and data log it. If there is some knock retard ill see it.. I have not done this on the car yet... it defiantly has to have knock sensors... typically the sensors act so quick you cant hear any detonation anyway! Hope my scan tool does the knock sensor, if not ill have to get a new one. Stay tuned!

BJ, is there any way for me to fool a sensor into retarding timing? The IAT sensor? Maybe throw a resistor in there to make the computer pull a little timing?

Users who are viewing this thread