2013 owners with 6 years of ownership, step on in. ( 14's with 5 also )

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So how many of the ( 12 ) recommended oil changes have you done & how many miles do you have on your car ??
Have been driving for a few years, used to doing oil changes @ 5000 / 7500 type cycle.
My last 3 trucks racked up 187K, 212K, & 237K, miles.........with no engine failure.
Surprised to find out with all the new tech today, & oil Mfg. advertising " change oil once a year", it comes down to change oil every 6 months !! "
So in looking @ my 2014 GT500 Supplement, I find the following on page ( 52 ).
" Every 7500 miles ( 12000 km ) or six months ( whichever comes first ) " - Change engine oil and filter.
My 14 will be ( 5 ) years old next month, delivered on 5 Sept. 2013
My 14 has ( 2720.6 ) miles on it,.....................but should have had ( 10 ) oil changes by now !!!
I just got a " change engine oil soon " message on my 2017 F150, just turned 3300 miles.
The truck was ( 1 ) year old on 8/11/2018, according to it's maintenance schedule, should have had ( 2 ) oil changes by now !!!!

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
6 years, 5+ months
14,5xx miles
1 oil change every spring (6 now)

~10 miles in the rain with
intake/93 tune/off-road H installed as of Friday night. Pumped to let her rip.

4.10s scheduled.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I wouldnt even worry a second if you're running quality oil. Even the Motorcraft 5w-50 is fairly solid. Its more of a concern with regular dino oil, but even in that instance as long as its clean and not been run on E85, youre fine.

Kel

Established Member
Like you, I'm an original '14 owner with <4k miles. I change the oil (Motorcraft 5W50) once a year in the fall before winter hibernation. No issues at all and I don't plan to change that interval. 6 month intervals for a garage queen is ridiculous.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
12,900 miles on my 2013. Oil is changed every spring despite fact I only drive it 1-2K miles per season. Plugs are changed every other season despite fact they are Iridiums.....and I do feel the difference with fresh plugs.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I drove my 2013 off the showroom floor (in Elma, WA) on Veteran's Day weekend (November) of 2012. To date, we've logged just over 25K miles together. She remains setup/tuned for pump gas, though she gets some 100 octane race gas when we visit the track.

I changed the "break-in" oil shortly after getting her home, at ~2K miles. I changed it again at ~5K miles, the following fall (2013). I've stuck with that schedule, changing it every fall (prior to storing for the winter), meaning I'm on-track to do the seventh change in the next month or so. I manually reset the oil reminder to keep it from annoying me. FWIW, I run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 oil and EaO11 filters.

Last edited:

raustin0017

Established Member
Original owner...drove mine from showroom in Greer, SC back here to Charleston. And like Norton, swapped to Amsoil and change every 5k miles. 13,500 on the clock now.

99VERT

Established Member
Well that explains it! I have had my 13 for about 4 years and have changed the oil at least 6-8 times. The last oil change was at roughly 17,000 miles and bam the lights back on at 19,300. I bought the car with just over 7K miles and like I said I change it very often. Growing up as an Auto Mechanic I know there is no need to change it much as I do but I don't have the stomach to go 5K on this car. For the power and performance I don't mind dumping it every 6 months. Sometimes after a few good back to back mountain runs of less than 1000 miles I will feel the need for a change. Its piece of mind for me no real justification!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I change it every fall before storage and after aggressive racing or dyno tuning.
I'd recommend an oil analysis as a good option. My stock engine had its first 3 oil changes analyzed and all was well.
The new engine will get its third change and first UOA this fall.
-J

svt662

Established Member
Purchased my 2013 New and changed the oil once a year... Has around 800 miles !!!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Bought my 14 new in September 13 and it is very close to 10,000 miles. I've changed the oil 4 times now. Normally before I go to a track event. Fortunately, I don't have winter so I drive year round.

Tom

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I got my '13 on July 5th, 2012. Now at just over 5k miles, it's had three oil changes. Motorcraft.
Ford got it right on these cars. As you all would probably agree, they are truly a blast!
I plan on keeping mine till they put me in the dirt...

96gt02

Established Member
I change mine every year in the spring, I dont put enough miles on it to even break 5K a year

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I change mine every year in the spring, I dont put enough miles on it to even break 5K a year
I used to do that but it's actually better to change right before you store it; better to sit in storage with clean oil than dirty.
First heat cycle in spring conditions the clean oil and drive all summer if mileage fits.
-J

fearthesnake

Established Member
Original owner...drove mine from showroom in Greer, SC back here to Charleston. And like Norton, swapped to Amsoil and change every 5k miles. 13,500 on the clock now.
Ha...must have bought it from D&D Ford, I grew up with the owners.

Next time I drive to Folly Beach to visit family I will PM you. I usually go to a car show on James Island with some locals there as well. Would be nice to see your Shelby.

96gt02

Established Member
I used to do that but it's actually better to change right before you store it; better to sit in storage with clean oil than dirty.
First heat cycle in spring conditions the clean oil and drive all summer if mileage fits.
-J
Interesting, never knew that thanks

twawsico

Established Member
Original owner. Bought in June 2012. 13,8xxx miles. I'd have to check my log, but I'd bet that it has never been longer than 9 months between changes, and that's only been when she's been sitting lonely in the garage for a stretch.
She's actually due for a change now per the six month rule. I need to do a search here for feedback on the 25K mile version of the Amsoil 5W50 that I put in for the first time the last time I changed it. At only 2300 miles per year and no track time, I'm sure that one change per year with the Amsoil would be just fine.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I get that oil change warning all the time, I just clear it when it shows up.

Each end of the driving season I change the oil and filter before storage, with the tiny amount of mileage that I put on during the season I'm sure the oil is still good but it's nice to know fresh oil is in there during storage time.

Still not cheap though...………...I'm using about 8L of 5W50 Amsoil for the Shelby and almost 10L of 5W30 Amsoil for the Z those are EXPENSIVE oil changes!!!!!!!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
+1.

Tracks with Ford's recommendation on page 258 of the Owner's Manual -
"The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage."

Users who are viewing this thread